SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Should not be a surprise to anyone. A 15 year old in the midst of being "educated' in our public school system would naturally disagree with his views. Ted should have home schooled her.
"we don't need no education, we don't need no thought control"....

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
gerrymandering.
Every 10 years, states redraw their legislative and congressional district lines following the census. Because communities change, redistricting is critical to our democracy: maps must be redrawn to ensure that districts are equally populated, comply with laws such as the Voting Rights Act, and are otherwise representative of a state’s population. And sometimes it impacts or even adds another state house member, all based on population. But yes, at times, some of these redistricting slant the district into one parties favor or the other. as an example here Fla 2021. https://gerrymander.princeton.edu/redistricting-report-card?planId=recKjGLbqVvCP1mw7. Slanted to the republicans.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Chris , what almost always shows in those maps is that the density of population (urban areas) is 9 times out of 10, Blue ! But what has been changing in my corner of Pa is that suburbia that was once very Red is now quite 'Pink' !

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
About the only thing to FIX Congress is TERM LIMITS. What we now have are people that stay for life and that's so wrong and its the same old BS each day, week, month and year from Congress. I say 12 years and your out. Put it on the ballet and like the voters decide.
Term limits and the end of lobbying.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
About the only thing to FIX Congress is TERM LIMITS. What we now have are people that stay for life and that's so wrong and its the same old BS each day, week, month and year from Congress. I say 12 years and your out. Put it on the ballet and like the voters decide.
Why?

So what if people vote the same rep in term after term? Is that not up to voters whom they choose to represent them?

What exactly will be the benefit from term limits?

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Two of the immedate benefits would be to stop the use of insider information for personal benefit and curbing the abuse of office and the public that comes natural with power.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Why?

So what if people vote the same rep in term after term? Is that not up to voters whom they choose to represent them?

Well why do we have term limits for President, why not for life until someone vote them out.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Two of the immedate benefits would be to stop the use of insider information for personal benefit and curbing the abuse of office and the public that comes natural with power.
How would term limits stop the use of insider information for an individuals benefit? I would opine that would aggravate the situation more since reps would try to get as much as soon as possible since they are limited in time.

Secondly how exactly would term limits address abuse of office for the same reasons.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Well why do we have term limits for President, why not for life until someone vote them out.
Congress decided that two terms or 10 years was enough for the Executive and passed and amendment to do so. 22nd amendment.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Why?

Congress decided that two terms or 10 years was enough for the Executive and passed and amendment to do so. 22nd amendment.
good, now lets do the same for Congress......... oh wait, Congress legislating themselves out..... LOL !

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I know that, so why can't our congressional members not make a life out of being in Congress and have a term limit like the President, why ? because Congress controls the country.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
How would term limits stop the use of insider information for an individuals benefit? I would opine that would aggravate the situation more since reps would try to get as much as soon as possible since they are limited in time.

Secondly how exactly would term limits address abuse of office for the same reasons.
You're right that politicians would try to get as much as possible. Human nature being what it is, they would do it in any time frame so it would be prudent to limit that time. Same for abuse of office.
Nothing is exact, it has to be tinkered with until we get the results we want.

Couple term limits with insider information laws and strict restrictions on lobbying post-government as well as some of the other ideas mentioned in earlier posts.

Knowing heavy restrictions on profiteering and power exist might have the benefit of attracting better candidates for public service.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I'm for term limits on all three branches which unfortunately the Supreme Court doesn't have. They are in there for life. :(

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
You're right that politicians would try to get as much as possible. Human nature being what it is, they would do it in any time frame so it would be prudent to limit that time. Same for abuse of office.
Nothing is exact, it has to be tinkered with until we get the results we want.

Couple term limits with insider information laws and strict restrictions on lobbying post-government as well as some of the other ideas mentioned in earlier posts.

Knowing heavy restrictions on profiteering and power exist might have the benefit of attracting better candidates for public service.
Term limits solve no problem. What they do effect is turning Congress over to the political parties since they get to choose who you vote for exactly as it has here in Florida.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I know that, so why can't our congressional members not make a life out of being in Congress and have a term limit like the President, why ? because Congress controls the country.
Some do, some don't. What should be done is to eliminate "retirement" from Congress after 10 years, it should be more like 40 years.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Term limits solve no problem. What they do effect is turning Congress over to the political parties since they get to choose who you vote for exactly as it has here in Florida.
Don't know enough about local Florida politics to say but it sounds like the parties choose who you vote for whether we have term limits or not. I live in a one party controlled state in the Northeast so there are no debates.
The chain of money and power needs to be broken and I am all ears to possible solutions.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
While states can have term limits, I am pretty sure the supreme court ruled that you cannot limit federal congressional member's terms.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
You are correct. The Supreme Court did that in 1995 in a 5-4 vote along the philosophical views of progressive vs. originalists, progressives winning. The decision was partially based on the 17th Amendment that stripped the State's legislatures power to select their Senators and transferred it to the people. Not what the founders wanted since the result has been to make the Federal Government more powerful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis