2021 Denon Receivers with Three 8K HDMI Inputs < $700

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon released information on three new AV receivers for 2021, the AVR-S760H, AVR-S660H, and AVR-X1700H. Considering that all three receivers come in between $450 to $700 and boast three 8K HDMI inputs and the latest technologies for immersive sound as well as advanced voice control and connectivity options, we may be looking at the most advanced budget friendly receivers on the market.

denon.jpg

Read: 2021 Denon 8K AV Receivers

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I almost got excited. Heaven help us all when the flagship is announced without DIRAC and Onkyo's TX-RZ70 with.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I get the feeling this is SU testing their new chipset out in a down-market section. Getting these in the hands of paying “gamma testers,” without betting the farm on full implementation across the full D&M product line.
Hopefully they get this right and follow up in early 2022 with their full product refresh, moving on from the flawed 2.1 chipsets from 2020.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I almost got excited. Heaven help us all when the flagship is announced without DIRAC and Onkyo's TX-RZ70 with.
Umm, it looks like a Onkyo. Regardless though sooner or later we all gonna have to get the new line of AVR's. The one's we have aren't gonna last forever.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
That is good news for sure. Sounds like Denon is on the road to recovery for their 2.1. I have their 2020 model and not into gaming. I don't have the $$ for an expensive 2.1 HDMI TV to go with the gaming experience, either. Good luck to the gamers!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I dont understand the value in releasing AVRs with 8K since no commercially available 8K material exists either in streaming or on physical media and associated players capable of playing 8K. Is it even clear if the film industry has agreed upon 8K standards or are these subject to change?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I dont understand the value in releasing AVRs with 8K since no commercially available 8K material exists either in streaming or on physical media and associated players capable of playing 8K. Is it even clear if the film industry has agreed upon 8K standards or are these subject to change?
For the now, this is about the 4K/120Hz. It really is about the gaming market and unfulfilled promises of the previous year-and-a-half.
Everybody complains about all the different facets instead of looking at the whole stone. None of it is perfect: it is what it is.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Broken promises made by all of the AVR manufacturers. Now here's a question..Do the AVR manufacturers purchase their HDMI chipsets from the same manufacturer or do they develop their own?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Broken promises made by all of the AVR manufacturers. Now here's a question..Do the AVR manufacturers purchase their HDMI chipsets from the same manufacturer or do they develop their own?
Perhaps your friend @AVR Enthu can give more insight, but as I understand it there are a few companies building HDMI chipsets now, not just the single original Panasonic Solutions that created the whole mess up front.

Current 2021 Yammies are on a Gen 2 Chipset, but I do not know the manufacturer.

It will be interesting to find out what Onkyo and SU are using, as well as Yamaha right now.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 8.21.20 AM.png

L

Leo Shafai

Enthusiast
I"m guessing that hdmi 2.1 increased the audio bandwidth finally? Always wished displayport was on tvs and receivers... even vesa want it to be standardized

G

GTISteve

Enthusiast
This AVR-X1700H just came up on my radar today. Looks like nobody's even had a chance to test it yet, or even see it.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
This AVR-X1700H just came up on my radar today. Looks like nobody's even had a chance to test it yet, or even see it.
Starting to see some unboxing videos but no detailed testing yet. He takes the cover off so we get to see the inside as well.

G

GTISteve

Enthusiast
Seeing more pop up at Best Buy for one-week availability. Looks like a few cargo ships have been unpacked.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The setup as shown on the TV for this new AVR seems to be more user friendly than that for all their previous models. My 2020 AVR-X3700H is using the same type of setup guide as that for the previous years Marantz SR5010-11 models.

G

GTISteve

Enthusiast
Like the menu, might just get it for that. Some receivers from last year should have an online ordering menu for things they lied about working in the specs. :p

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Hopefully you will give an article/preview/full review to at least one of the new Onkyo receivers that were recently announced, too.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Perhaps your friend @AVR Enthu can give more insight, but as I understand it there are a few companies building HDMI chipsets now, not just the single original Panasonic Solutions that created the whole mess up front.
Yes, a few companies produce them, such as Cypress Tech, Analog Devices, Diodes, Parade Tech, etc.

It is not clear whether Panasonic Solutions created the whole mess. Engineers from AVR vendors also need to know which features exactly they are looking for for their devices. There are several types of chips with different features.
It will be interesting to find out what Onkyo and SU are using, as well as Yamaha right now.
Onkyo most probably uses Analog Devices. Yamaha, dunno, until someone unscrews those heat sinks and exposes chip's serial number. Someone should do a complete teardown, so that we can find out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis