2020 Oscars - Best Picture thoughts

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I thought Oscars keeps on getting worse and worse.

Here were the nominees for Best Pictures for 2020:

1. Parasite (Won Best Picture, Best Director, Best International Film)
2. The Irishman
3. Ford v Ferrari
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywod
5. Joker
6. 1917
7. A Marriage Story
8. Jojo Rabbit
9. Little Women

I've seen everything, except for Jojo Rabbit and Little Women.

Impressions:

1. Parasite - I saw this Korean movie about 3 months before Oscars. I thought it was so stupid. :D My wife watches a lot more international and Korean movies and TV series than I do. But she also thought "Parasite" was a stupid movie. :D I cannot believe it won Best Picture, Best Director, and Best International Film.

2. The Irishman - boring as hell

3. Ford v Ferrari - I liked it. One of the better movies. Probably 2nd best.

4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - boring as hell, except for the ending where Brat Pitt does his thing. :D

5. Joker - I thought this was the best movie of the list. Should have won. :D

6. 1917 - copycat of Dances with Wolves/ Saving Private Ryan/Hacksaw Ridge - I thought it was pretty stupid.

7. A Marriage Story - boring as hell

Will eventually watch Jojo Rabbit and Little Women. But the odds aren't looking good. :D

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
1. Parasite - I liked it. Korean friends told us about it before Oscars too. Quirky and goofy. Not sure I'd call it best picture either.
2. The Irishman - Ugh. Incredibly boring.
3. Ford v Ferrari - Entertaining but not exactly accurate.
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Great performances. Typical Tarantino story
5. Joker - This was my favorite of the bunch. Great performance by Phoenix. Great music. Should have won.
6. 1917 - I liked it better than Parasite. Great cinematography. Good overall war film.
7. A Marriage Story - have not watched
8. Jojo Rabbit - Second favorite. I love this movie. This is a MUST SEE.
9. Little Women - Uh, maybe if I got quarantined.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. Parasite - I liked it. Korean friends told us about it before Oscars too. Quirky and goofy. Not sure I'd call it best picture either.
2. The Irishman - Ugh. Incredibly boring.
3. Ford v Ferrari - Entertaining but not exactly accurate.
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Great performances. Typical Tarantino story
5. Joker - This was my favorite of the bunch. Great performance by Phoenix. Great music. Should have won.
6. 1917 - I liked it better than Parasite. Great cinematography. Good overall war film.
7. A Marriage Story - have not watched
8. Jojo Rabbit - Second favorite. I love this movie. This is a MUST SEE.
9. Little Women - Uh, maybe if I got quarantined.
Jojo Rabbit is good? I'll see it next then.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I saw everything except numbers 1,8,and 9.
Nothing screamed Best Picture.

The best performance in my eyes was The Joker, and I didn’t expect to like it.

I think The Parasite cleaned up because The Academy was trying to appear diverse in the face of another #Oscar so White.

Anyone remember a Out of Africa...

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I saw everything except numbers 1,8,and 9.
Nothing screamed Best Picture.

The best performance in my eyes was The Joker, and I didn’t expect to like it.

I think The Parasite cleaned up because The Academy was trying to appear diverse in the face of another #Oscar so White.

Anyone remember a Out of Africa...
Yeah Oscar white thing, man not a knock on people of color but there are movies that Denzel Washington did where he should have won a Oscar for. Will Smith is another, Book of Eli was a very good movie.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Jojo Rabbit is good? I'll see it next then.
Yes, it is funny, but does have some intensity. Just the premise sounds so wrong, but I really enjoyed it. If you liked Thor Ragnarok, you will like this since it is the same director. JoJo won for best adapted screenplay.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
1. Parasite (Won Best Picture, Best Director, Best International Film) - bluray rental arriving soon
2. The Irishman - classic Scorsese gangster stuff, excellent cgi for the aging (or unaging) of the actors. Great production all around. Did we need another of these just to give us another spin on Hoffa? Maybe not.
3. Ford v Ferrari - Just saw this, liked it a lot but I like cars.
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywod - I think this should have won myself but am a huge Tarantino fan and just a great job by everyone involved and I do like the twists on real history....
5. Joker - Killer performance by Joaquin again, liked this take on the Joker without Batman. Probably my second pick for best picture.
6. 1917 - Haven't seen yet, soon
7. A Marriage Story - Haven't seen yet despite opportunity.
8. Jojo Rabbit - Haven't seen yet, in queue
9. Little Women - Haven't and not likely to see.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
1. Parasite (Won Best Picture, Best Director, Best International Film) - bluray rental arriving soon
2. The Irishman - classic Scorsese gangster stuff, excellent cgi for the aging (or unaging) of the actors. Great production all around. Did we need another of these just to give us another spin on Hoffa? Maybe not.
3. Ford v Ferrari - Just saw this, liked it a lot but I like cars.
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywod - I think this should have won myself but am a huge Tarantino fan and just a great job by everyone involved and I do like the twists on real history....
5. Joker - Killer performance by Joaquin again, liked this take on the Joker without Batman. Probably my second pick for best picture.
6. 1917 - Haven't seen yet, soon
7. A Marriage Story - Haven't seen yet despite opportunity.
8. Jojo Rabbit - Haven't seen yet, in queue
9. Little Women - Haven't and not likely to see.
I thought the anti-aging of the actors, while well done, was very distracting in Irishman.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought the anti-aging of the actors, while well done, was very distracting in Irishman.
Very distracting indeed.

Also, are these guys supposed to be Irish? I mean they're all Italians! :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Would it have been better had they all been young actors aged rather than old actors "younged"? :)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hollyweird hasn't made a good movie in over 70 years. ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Would it have been better had they all been young actors aged rather than old actors "younged"? :)
I think making someone look older is easier than making them look younger lol. In Tron Legacy, same issue with the young/old Jeff Bridges (that was bad) and even in Westworld with the old/young Anthony Hopkins. For Hopkins, it looks like they actually pulled footage of him from old films and somehow blended it in. Not bad, but still odd.

One that did it actually semi-decently is Gemini Man with Will Smith. Still looks fake, but looks better than any other I've seen. Decent action flick too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think making someone look older is easier than making them look younger lol. In Tron Legacy, same issue with the young/old Jeff Bridges (that was bad) and even in Westworld with the old/young Anthony Hopkins. For Hopkins, it looks like they actually pulled footage of him from old films and somehow blended it in. Not bad, but still odd.

One that did it actually semi-decently is Gemini Man with Will Smith. Still looks fake, but looks better than any other I've seen. Decent action flick too.
It's just hard for me to unsee the older Pacino/Pesci/DeNiro particularly but thought the cgi was pretty good in The Irishman but haven't rewatched it....mightf change my mind. Agree the Bridges versions in Tron Legacy were worse....wasn't as obvious with Hopkins in WW, but haven't seen Gemini yet (other than the first coupla minutes).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis