2020 C8 Corvette ....... Love at first sight ?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Really cool design, almost looks like a Ferrari. 0-60 in less than 3 seconds is huge from a car with a 60k base price. There is a lot to like here but.. a 14 speaker Bose sound system?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
There is a lot to like here but.. a 14 speaker Bose sound system?
LOL, I hear 'ya, but then no serious performance minded car guy is gonna worry about that. Regardless GM and Bose have been attached at the hip for some time now and I'm sure it will sound just fine. Just not as good as the NPP exhaust !

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
And I thought my mid 80s Nissan 280ZX turbo was fast. Damn that thing is a beast!

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, a sports car is not an ideal setting for critically listening to high-fidelity sound anyway, so the Bose thing doesn't bother me much.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Glad to see Corvette put out better cars the last few versions. Not tempted personally, my sports car owning days ended many years ago. Might rent one one day for the fun of it, tho.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
GM won't confirm, but it appears the entire first year of production is sold out already. GM hasn't mentioned how many they're producing in 2020, but a reasonable guess would be 35-40,000.

I think the 2020 Corvette looks a lot like a new Acura NSX. The NSX has a base price of $159K though, which puts it in competition with the Audi R8 and the Porsche 911 Turbo. For $60K the Corvette is an amazing accomplishment. And I agree with James, I've owned quite a few sports cars, and I've never cared what the audio system was. In a Corvette it's really irrelevant unless you're parked, since the engine and the exhaust system makes enough noise music seems more like a distraction than anything else.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Really cool design, almost looks like a Ferrari. 0-60 in less than 3 seconds is huge from a car with a 60k base price. There is a lot to like here but.. a 14 speaker Bose sound system?
Just as an aside, I'm pretty sure that the 1984 Corvette was the first vehicle (infamously) to ever get a Bose system in it. At least GM doesn't pump artificial engine and exhaust sounds through the sound systems like BMW and Audi do. (Ugh.)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just as an aside, I'm pretty sure that the 1984 Corvette was the first vehicle (infamously) to ever get a Bose system in it. At least GM doesn't pump artificial engine and exhaust sounds through the sound systems like BMW and Audi do. (Ugh.)
While I love a nice sounding exhaust, didn't know BMW and Audi provided a way to amplify it the cabin....you can turn it off hopefully?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
60k is the 'start', rest assured none will sticker at that number. Regardless, for less than 80k you will be put into an area no sub 6 figure car has ever experienced.

While I have no plans to sell my old 'bucket of bolts' ('67, 427, M21 vert), give me a couple of years and I may not be able to resist.......

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
While I love a nice sounding exhaust, didn't know BMW and Audi provided a way to amplify it the cabin....you can turn it off hopefully?
They do it because the cabin is well insulated from road noise, this way you can still 'hear' the motor and exhaust without the road noise...personally I think its lame, I want to hear the car, not a recording.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
They do it because the cabin is well insulated from road noise, this way you can still 'hear' the motor and exhaust without the road noise...personally I think its lame, I want to hear the car, not a recording.
They also do it because most late model BMWs and Audis have turbochargers in the exhaust, and that plus Euro noise standards (which are much more stringent than in the US) can make sporty cars sound like Bentleys.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Not on any car I'm aware of. And turning off the audio system has no effect on it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But you can turn it off or not? Can it be heard on its own or is it only mixed with whatever music you're playing? I can imagine wanting a little exhaust note on a rainy day with the windows rolled up, tho.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not on any car I'm aware of. And turning off the audio system has no effect on it.
It doesn't come thru the audio system then or you just can't prevent it from coming thru the audio system?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
as I said earlier, an 'easy' 60k to start !
I wonder how many bare bone models were ordered....if any. Any idea of a performance model? I saw the Jay Leno introduction with GM but don't remember....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
While this thing is clearly fantastic, is it really a Corvette outside of the name? A redesign this drastic (mid engine instead of front engine) would (to me) be a new model.

My friend has always been a Corvette freak (owns 3) and he is none too pleased, but I also wouldn't be surprised to ride in his new C8 when he caves and buys one.

Man that's a good looking car.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis