2017 Audioholics Product of the Year Award Winners

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
2017 marked the year when smart devices infiltrated home theater and Ultra HD became more attainable. As if AV receivers didn't do enough already, now they come armed with Alexa Skill, music media streaming and the latest in HD immersive audio and video support. We selected the best speakers, AV receivers, and preamps, UHD Blu-ray players, etc for this model year that we reviewed or personally demoed and chose them as our 2017 Product of the Year Award winners. Continue reading to see our picks.

AH_ProdYear_2017_red.jpg

Read: 2017 Audioholics Product of the Year Award Winners

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Gene ... Can I assume the HSU CCB-8 are being compared to the KEF LS50's when u say, "We've heard much, much more expensive speakers that could not image nearly as well as the CCB-8s"? Thinking about replacing the legacy Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 in my wife's office.

chrisskylin3

chrisskylin3

Enthusiast
As if AV receivers didn't do enough already, now they come armed with Alexa Skill, music media streaming and the latest in HD immersive audio and video support.
These AV receiver companies should make a dedicated enthusiasts line of receivers comprising of larger power supplies without the unnecessary gimmicks. . .

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
These AV receiver companies should make a dedicated enthusiasts line of receivers comprising of larger power supplies without the unnecessary gimmicks. . .
Better yet, just remove the amplification from the receivers altogether and let an outboard amplifier handle those duties, so they are not compromised at all.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
A $2500 a processor, and a $3000 av receiver?

I'm sure they are great - but alcoholics has always seemed to be more geared to the budget oriented audio guy. I'm going to guess those recommendation are going to be useful to maybe 1% of your audience.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
A $2500 a processor, and a $3000 av receiver?

I'm sure they are great - but alcoholics has always seemed to be more geared to the budget oriented audio guy. I'm going to guess those recommendation are going to be useful to maybe 1% of your audience.
Just judging by participants in the AH forums, it's a broad-based mix. I suppose you could say that 99% of the audience is very budget-oriented about cables, but for electronics and speakers my impression is that it's all over the map.

Clearly you and I have different expectations about PotY winners, but I expect the winners to generally be aspirational. Aspirational products are usually the ones that break new ground in capabilities, technologies, or build quality. And they're also more fun to read about. Look at the automotive world, for example. A review of the Subaru Outback is useful to many people, but what's the first thing everyone reads? The review of the latest sports car, that only 0.01% actually buy, as measured by sales volume. For a PotY winner, I don't want to know about the best $495 pre-pro, I want to know about a stand-out pre-pro. (I probably own the best $495 pre-pro on the market, and I'd much rather read about what's better.)

Every time Gene publishes a review of an expensive product there are always a few wondering in posts about how close something half the price comes to it in measured performance. Personally, I think that attitude misses the point entirely.

chrisskylin3

chrisskylin3

Enthusiast
Good list of products. I think the Sony line of Blu-Ray players, especially the 4K X800 should factor in future reviews. These things are good for those of us that don't use the internal DACs of the Oppo & Marantz etc.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
And perhaps come up with a different name for those... like... stereo amplifier:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis