2015 Yamaha RXA550 shuts off, no power. Opinions needed, please.

M

MG-70

Audiophyte
I'll try to summarize as best as I can. Some time in 2015 I bought a remanufactured Yamaha RXA550 (stamp under top cover reads 21 May 2015) that came with a 3 year extended warranty from a well-known provider. I don't recall the vendor but can look it up. The warranty has expired about a year ago. Last week it shut off, repeatedly. I don't listen to it loudly, there's plenty of room under the cabinet, above the unit, for it to breath, but I did listen to it daily, or just about. I found vids on YT about similar problems with two or three different manufacturers of units of approximately the same age. Tried resetting it holding Power+Info+Tone Control, but it just briefly flashed "Protect I", the unit's self-protection mode that's usually set off by shorting, and it immediately shut off. I did this a few times.

I removed all wires and cables going into it, tried to Reset as above, and it shut off. I opened the case, checked the fuse and it was good, gave it a good looking over and nothing jumped out at me as being out of place, blown, swollen, having leaked, etc.. I disconnected and removed the transformer, and the checked the primary leads, brown and gray, and got 5.2 Ohms, repeatedly. I'm not sure what they're supposed to read. Transformer is a Bando YE074 AO.

Can anyone with more experience direct me to a probable cause and/or fix? Seems I can buy something with similar capabilities, new, for about US$300-$400, but it's disappointing to think that these days these things only last about 4-5 years. I have an Onkyo audio receiver that is about 30 years old and works great. I realize the video capabilities complicates things, but there has got to be better made components in this price range.

Any ideas on how to fix this and the approximate cost? I'm pretty sure this was a common occurrence; just trying to figure out on whether to throw away or attempt to fix.

Thanks in advance!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you've done what you can. It may be worth having an electronics repair shop diagnose it....but parts could be prohibitively expensive, if available.

I'd check for a refurb at accessories4less.com, that'll be your best value in an avr. Sometimes you can find a new unit on a really good sale, even via Amazon. I'd suggest looking for/at Denon's X3x00 range and up myself.

One consideration for long life is how well ventilated....what's your definition of plenty of room to breath? Sometimes adding external cooling can be worth it...

M

MG-70

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick reply! Clearance above the unit was about 3.5"-4", and there was no other source of heat below it. Cabinet is open to the front, no doors, and 7"-10" to the rear, behind the unit, and there are no heat registers near it. I never thought it ran hot, to the touch, anyway.

I'll check accessories4less, and the Denon line recommended, if fixing isn't worth it.

Cheers!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's kind of limited above the avr. I'd think about adding fans (perhaps check out offerings from coolerguys.com or acinfinity.com)

M

MG-70

Audiophyte
Will plan on adding a fan, or moving the receiver to where there's more space, once the issue is resolved. When a fan is added, is it something that has to be turned on manually, or is it somehow activated when the receiver is turned on? Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will plan on adding a fan, or moving the receiver to where there's more space, once the issue is resolved. When a fan is added, is it something that has to be turned on manually, or is it somehow activated when the receiver is turned on? Thanks
Some of the lower demand ones might be able to use your usb port for power and go on/off with your avr, or use a smart power strip, or might even be built into the cooling gear....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I think you've done what you can. It may be worth having an electronics repair shop diagnose it....but parts could be prohibitively expensive, if available.

I'd check for a refurb at accessories4less.com, that'll be your best value in an avr. Sometimes you can find a new unit on a really good sale, even via Amazon. I'd suggest looking for/at Denon's X3x00 range and up myself.

One consideration for long life is how well ventilated....what's your definition of plenty of room to breath? Sometimes adding external cooling can be worth it...
I don't think cabinet aeration is to blame with the problem, as his AVR worked for 4 years without any shutting off situation.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with Lovin’ on that... most AVRs spec for a good 6-7” above and on the sides. Not suggesting you have an overheating issue specifically, but something to be mindful of, to be certain. Cubbies are bad for ventilation... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think cabinet aeration is to blame with the problem, as his AVR worked for 4 years without any shutting off situation.
Maybe maybe not, hard to know. However, since they do run warm generally added ventilation should at least extend life of the unit. Cheap insurance so to speak.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe maybe not, hard to know. However, since they do run warm generally added ventilation should at least extend life of the unit. Cheap insurance so to speak.
If Denon/Marantz he will want to plan for a lot of heat so external fans and ventilation. If Yamaha just ventilation seems to work as they don’t run hot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If Denon/Marantz he will want to plan for a lot of heat so external fans and ventilation. If Yamaha just ventilation seems to work as they don’t run hot.
Yet I've read comments from Yamaha owners on at least a few models indicating they ran quite warm....and some with Denon/Marantz indicating running cool. Not a brand thing as far as I can tell, more likely environment and use are bigger factors than brand alone.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yet I've read comments from Yamaha owners on at least a few models indicating they ran quite warm....and some with Denon/Marantz indicating running cool. Not a brand thing as far as I can tell, more likely environment and use are bigger factors than brand alone.
Hmm well I live in Seattle so it’s not hot here even in the summertime so I agree someone in a hotter climate would have a different experience. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Bottom line... just put an ac infinity aircom t-series unit on your AVR and forget about it! :p
Then, plan on upgrading every 5 yrs to stay current with the features.

:rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bottom line... just put an ac infinity aircom t-series unit on your AVR and forget about it! :p
Then, plan on upgrading every 5 yrs to stay current with the features.

:rolleyes:
The avr upgrading for features thing rather than the fan, yes? :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The avr upgrading for features thing rather than the fan, yes? :)
If I'm following your point... you might be upgrading the AVR every 5 yrs to keep current with the features. Yes.

Fans either blow... towards, or away. If they make a fan with different features than those... I wanna know! :p

Hmmm...

New and Improved, Audiophile Grade Quantum Cooling Fans!!! Fan Blades are made from rare interstellar alloys birthed in ancient stars which, when powered, circulate air... not just through the open spaces of your gear to keep it cool... but it also spins the atoms that create the elements of your gear in a manner that Lowers THD, and Increases Total RMS and Sound Quality in a manner that has never been experienced ON THIS PLANET, NOW... THEN, or EVER!
It's QUANTUM COOLING!

:cool:

I'm only 1 yr into my AC Infinity experience. I'll post when it dies. Promise! Until then... if it lasts 5 years for $100, I'll buy another with my next AVR. ;)

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
MG-70 Your old Onkyo is still working great because it was made with better quality parts. Unfortunately most manufacturers today make them with el cheapo parts to maximize their profit. They don't take much pride in their stuff anymore unless it's their top tier component and your going to pay generously for it. Most stuff today isn't made to last for more than a few years. That amongst many other factors is why I only do separates, but they make you pay for it.
Look on Amazon, you can find many options in your budget range, and half of them drop a $100 every other day. So should be easy to find an option. As was stated earlier, it will most likely cost you more than it's worth to repair your problemed unit. Good luck

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis