2011 $600 A/V Receiver Comparison Guide

D

detroit1

Audioholic Intern
if you are going to test the Receivers in 2 Channel; you better also test them in 5.1, 7.1 thru HDMI since No Movie on blu-ray is going to be played in 2 channel. there are several cases where 1 receiver may be slightly better in "2 channel" but NOT better at all in 5.1 thru HDMI
Most of the sources are going multi channel now

just testing in 2 channel only is pointless

you can get FLAC 24/96 5.1 that easily sounds better than the " 2 channel" CD version and than can be played thru HDMI
2 channel CD is only 44/16; that is NOT the same quality as 24/96

most people who would get these receivers are going to play sound thru HDMI
these low priced receivers don't have the best analog section but they don't need to if you are playing mostly 5.1 stuff

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Run five different receivers from $300-$2000 through the same tests and you'll be able to tell the difference.
Let me correct my previous statement - all receivers sound the same, as long they are not $300 junk from Sony

In fact, perhaps that would be a great Audioholics test! Get a Sony, Marantz, Onkyo, Anthem, Arcam, and a Mark Levinson put them all in 2 channel with the same amp driving them and tone bypass and do a double-blind test with some great speakers.
Lets make this test of $600-700 models from Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo and compare it to Anthem, Arcam, and a Mark Levinson, Nad, McIntosh etc...

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
if you are going to test the Receivers in 2 Channel; you better also test them in 5.1, 7.1 thru HDMI since No Movie on blu-ray is going to be played in 2 channel. there are several cases where 1 receiver may be slightly better in "2 channel" but NOT better at all in 5.1 thru HDMI
Most of the sources are going multi channel now

just testing in 2 channel only is pointless

you can get FLAC 24/96 5.1 that easily sounds better than the " 2 channel" CD version and than can be played thru HDMI
2 channel CD is only 44/16; that is NOT the same quality as 24/96

most people who would get these receivers are going to play sound thru HDMI
these low priced receivers don't have the best analog section but they don't need to if you are playing mostly 5.1 stuff
My only point of suggesting 2 channel is that you can test any receiver and integrated. Thus, it's easy to debunk the claim being made that all receivers sound alike in source direct mode. Simply put, they don't.

Clearly, the source should be the same and there ideally should be a switcher so that the source and speakers are the same and you are only interchanging the receiver. You're also right on about the analog stage, which again proves my point. I think we'd all agree--and certainly given a blind test--all receivers don't sound the same.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It seemed to me that teh Yamaha and Onkyo feature wise was very close so I fail to see the "clear winner" statement. :eek: Maybe I'm being clounded by fan-boy-nism.. OBTW, I don't count having a THX Slect certification a feature as I beleive any one of these receviers can live up to these specs. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It seemed to me that teh Yamaha and Onkyo feature wise was very close so I fail to see the "clear winner" statement. :eek: Maybe I'm being clounded by fan-boy-nism.. OBTW, I don't count having a THX Slect certification a feature as I beleive any one of these receviers can live up to these specs. :)
In the end I'd choose from this list on the features important for me. I'd like to thank Tom to making the leg work to compile this table and saving lots of the headache and time.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I agree on the "clear winner" statement, to me it's definitely not a clear winner situation. All of those models offer comparable feature sets with slight differences and it's up to the buyer to select which features are of greater importance to them and of course compare prices.

Like many articles written, the comparison contains some pretty heavy personal opinions, but the informed buyer/user can easily discount those as they come up.

Steve

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Another point to consider is that some of these will be deeply discounted while others will remain very close to MSRP. Once they hit the shelves and no longer have to compete, sales wise, against last years version the gaps will spread.

Of course that is for those people considering price as a major deciding factor, but those not price conscious will be looking at upper end receivers or separates to begin with.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
There's measurable differences between amps.

I don't disagree that there's often audible differences between amps.

I think some entry level crap may be so lazily and cheaply designed, even from brands like Onkyo and Denon, that it may have audible problems and distortions.

But this claim:

I mean, absolutely remarkable. When the Arcam was switched on, it was like the speakers were totally different--they had more life and the sense of space was simply extraordinary.
Is dubious at best.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
In the end I'd choose from this list on the features important for me. I'd like to thank Tom to making the leg work to compile this table and saving lots of the headache and time.
You are right BoredSysAdmin. There was alot of work done preparing this compariosn table. Although I may disagree with the "obvious winner" statement, I should have recognized the work. :eek: Thanks Tom. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
But this claim:

Is dubious at best.
It could have been the case, though. Perhaps the speakers were being played loud enough that the other receivers didn't have adequate ability to handle the transient peaks, or perhaps (from a cynical guy) the shop had adjusted some of the settings on the other receivers so that they didn't sound as nice because they made more profit on the Arcam.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
But this claim:

Is dubious at best.
Dubious on what grounds? I find it quite odd to see a statement like that. I've done lots of critical listening on lots of different systems. The differences between systems is sometimes subtle and sometimes startling. And yes, not dubious in the least... the Arcam compared to the Marantz and NAD simply had no equal. And I'm saying that as someone who doesn't own an Arcam and has no stake in the company.

My suggestion is that you go and do a test listen for yourself at a quality setup. I'm completely open to having an audioholics challenge here. I see boredsysadmin is in NYC. Let's see where people are, get an audio store to hold a challenge and do nothing but change the receivers. I just find it extremely odd that I'm backing up what I'm saying with engineering fact and listening experience and yet the contrary statements have neither. Hmm....

(I'll exaggerate Adam's cynical here, though I know he wasn't necessarily promoting this) The comments about adjusting settings and rigging things really have no place nor do they have any scientific basis. I'm sure that there was a wizard behind a passive switcher affecting everything. :)

Facts are facts. Different electronic equipment sounds different. To prove my point very simply, those having done any RTA tests on a computer know you need to ideally have not only a calibrated mic but also calibrate the input and outputs of the computer and audio device(s) being used. The logic being presented here is that since all audio equipment is the "same" you'd never have to do this. Well, the results are simply startling and measurable when you go from different equipment to different equipment.

So, my very strong conjecture would be that those making the claim that all equipment sounds the same simply haven't listened to different setups. I continually see ad hominem and other non-factual arguments to combat what I and others say.

Different receivers have different components with different capabilities and noise in the signal path. As I said, and it's a fact that cannot be disproved scientifically. That affects the sound and it's both measurable and audible. A $300 100wpc Onkyo will not sound the same as a $1,500 Anthem nor as an $8,000 McIntosh. Engineering, component selection, etc. all make an audible difference. You simply cannot prove the contrary from science, listening, our double-blind tests. In fact, all three definitively prove my point.

But if you're only buying for features and not buying for audio quality, then none of that matters. ;)

Sugarbear

Sugarbear

Junior Audioholic
Another point to consider is that some of these will be deeply discounted while others will remain very close to MSRP. Once they hit the shelves and no longer have to compete, sales wise, against last years version the gaps will spread.

Of course that is for those people considering price as a major deciding factor, but those not price conscious will be looking at upper end receivers or separates to begin with.
This is important. Onkyos drop in price pretty rapidly, which is why I brought up the 709 and the 370 earlier. Denons don't drop quite as much, which changes the value proposition.

...But, all of the reliability issues with Onkyo, and the RC370 and 709 being included in their recent press release regarding issues that plague the xx08 Onkyo's... and I stayed away.
Do you have a link? EDIT: Nevermind - seen it.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

We're comparing $600, bottom-tier recievers here people. I seriously have my doubts most people could differentiate between them in their respective "pure-direct" modes when level matched. Not saying it's not possible, just that if there are any differences they are minute in this price category.

Heck, I bet most of them source their parts from the same Chinese factories.

Jmooch82

Jmooch82

Audiophyte
I know I am posting to something older but,

Just wanted to throw this out there. The onkyo td-nr609 DOES do hdmi pass through in stand-by mode. If you look in setup you will see this. The other thing is for the other receivers (which I am in no way dogging since I have the 609) that have AirPlay, it should be noted that this is very likely audio only. To get AirPlay video you either still have to hook up Idevice through USB or get an apple tv. That is all, I am sure the other AVRs are great I just wanted to put out there wrong info on the 609. Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis