2009-2010 NFL Season

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think anyone in my family back home has even made it to bed yet. I wish I had made it down there.

Another note on that INT, from a CBS Sports article:

It should be noted that Porter credited the coaching staff for the interception, saying someone on staff noticed how Colts receiver Austin Collie tipped off a certain pass to Reggie Wayne when he went in motion from an inverted formation. Well, that play had the inverted formation. And Collie went in motion.

"It was great film study," Porter said. "The coaching staff did a great job preparing us. ... I saw [Collie] do that, and I jumped the route and the ball came right into my hands."
While Brees had an unbelievable game, the differences between these teams were the kicking game and coaching. The Saints ball control and keeping Manning off the field in the 2nd quarter (at that time had the advantage and lead in the game) reminded me of superbowl 25. Caldwell was Levy, Payton was Parcells.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
While Brees had an unbelievable game, the differences between these teams were the kicking game and coaching. The Saints ball control and keeping Manning off the field in the 2nd quarter (at that time had the advantage and lead in the game) reminded me of superbowl 25. Caldwell was Levy, Payton was Parcells.
It also settled our previous debate about the better QB. Brees is the unquestioned best QB in the NFL this season. He's earned this with hard work and consistency. His accuracy was higher than 80 percent. :eek:

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It also settled our previous debate about the better QB. Brees is the unquestioned best QB in the NFL this season. He's earned this with hard work and consistency. His accuracy was higher than 80 percent. :eek:
Brees was better in the Superbowl but not by much. Manning played one heck of a game also. Like I said earlier the only statistic that matters is interceptions and ironically that was the difference between these two players in this game.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
And big-play defense. Saints had 39 takeaways (for 8 defensive TDs) during the season. Indy had 24 and 2 defensive TDs. That led to a TO differential of +11 for the Saints and +2 for Indy.

They beat the Vikings by forcing TOs. Could easily play a big part in this game too.

The Saints created turnovers all season, at a rate of more than 2 per game. It has from the beginning been one of GW's primary focuses and every defensive practice starts off with a series of turnover "stations" where the defensive players practice takeaways.

In the playoffs, the Vikings shot themselves in the foot a bit with the number of TOs, but the Saints directly caused at least 3 of them. Creating 3 turnovers in a playoff game is huge. If they can create just 1 or 2 against the Colts, it could easily determine the outcome. Taking the ball away from the other team is about as big a play as you can make.

Amusingly, I just went to NFL.com to look up some stats and replays from the Vikings game, and the headline story is "KINGS OF THE TAKEAWAY."

Quote from the article:

"Sure, some of the balls the Saints' defenders end up with were because of mistakes of other players. But when a team amasses 39 takeaways in the regular season and then adds seven more in two playoff games -- that number could have been closer to 10 had the Saints simply fallen on fumbles by the Vikings in the NFC Championship Game instead of trying to scoop them up -- there's more than mojo working in their favor."

Just sayin ;)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think that debate will be settled for a few more years. Brees and team played a great game though. They deserve the win.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think that debate will be settled for a few more years. Brees and team played a great game though. They deserve the win.
You mean when Romo leads the Cowboys to a dynasty.:D

That INT made me mad. I wanted overtime!:rolleyes:

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
You mean when Romo leads the Cowboys to a dynasty.:D

That INT made me mad. I wanted overtime!:rolleyes:
I think that Romo does have it in him to make it happen. Sometimes it takes a few tries before a person gets it right.

O.T. would have been fun. We had a house full of people who darted out as soon as the game was over. O.T. would have made the party last a little longer.

All in all it was a good game. Up until the int it could have gone either way.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think that Romo does have it in him to make it happen. Sometimes it takes a few tries before a person gets it right.

O.T. would have been fun. We had a house full of people who darted out as soon as the game was over. O.T. would have made the party last a little longer.

All in all it was a good game. Up until the int it could have gone either way.
We I do know in 2020 Brett will win the Super Bowl!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sure looked like Indy was going to do it given they were up 10-0 quite early. However, The Saints dominated the 2nd quarter and things began to shift in the Saints favor. What a game! Congrats to the saints for an impressive win. Drew Brees was just awesome! ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2010-02-08-colts-homecoming_N.htm

Indianapolis Colts' homecoming brings out 11 people to airport

The end of the Indianapolis Colts' season came down to 11 people.

Not the 11 players on the field during the Super Bowl, but the 11 who showed up at Indianapolis International Airport on a cold, snowbound Monday afternoon, when the team returned following their 31-17 defeat Sunday by the New Orleans Saints at Super Bowl XLIV in Miami.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Well the band-wagon jumping has already started. I saw a guy at the gym last night with a Saints t-shirt and another guy wearing a Purdue Boilermakers shirt. Gimme a break, where were you guys before yesterday? The Saints shirt the guy was wearing looked brand spankin' new, like he'd just taken the tag off.

It was the same thing when the Colts won the Super Bowl. You NEVER saw anyone around here wearing Colts stuff, then all of a sudden the Manning jerseys were everywhere.

I HATE band wagon jumpers. :rolleyes:

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Well the band-wagon jumping has already started. I saw a guy at the gym last night with a Saints t-shirt and another guy wearing a Purdue Boilermakers shirt. Gimme a break, where were you guys before yesterday? The Saints shirt the guy was wearing looked brand spankin' new, like he'd just taken the tag off.

It was the same thing when the Colts won the Super Bowl. You NEVER saw anyone around here wearing Colts stuff, then all of a sudden the Manning jerseys were everywhere.

That is annoying. The Saints were the laughing stock of the league for a long time (sort of what the Buffalo Bills and Raiders are now). What winning a superbowl does - whats even more annoying is people that pay attention/watch a particular sport only during the playoffs/finals. It wouldn't suprise me if those dudes did that.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan

Does it count that I still wear my Giants jacket everywhere I go? And the Giants plate on the front of my car will stay there till I buy a new car and it gets moved there.
I don't get to wear my Giants sweatshirt anymore though. Wifey has confiscated that as her PJ's.:D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
That is annoying. The Saints were the laughing stock of the league for a long time (sort of what the Buffalo Bills and Raiders are now). What winning a superbowl does - whats even more annoying is people that pay attention/watch a particular sport only during the playoffs/finals. It wouldn't suprise me if those dudes did that.
I only watch basketball and hockey during playoffs and finals. I'm not a big fan of the sports but I love the drama and emotion on display in those games.

I don't pretend to be a big fan of any one team (though I do have a soft spot for the Avs), and I certainly won't go out and buy a hat or jersey only after one wins a championship. I don't see anything wrong with getting into a sport only during playoffs.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats to Drew and John Carney. Just kills me that 2 more Charger greats had to go elsewhere to get a ring. :rolleyes:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Does it count that I still wear my Giants jacket everywhere I go? And the Giants plate on the front of my car will stay there till I buy a new car and it gets moved there.
I don't get to wear my Giants sweatshirt anymore though. Wifey has confiscated that as her PJ's.:D
Sounds like serious rep to me.

I've got a Chargers license plate frame on my car and I've got so much Chargers gear, (T-shirts, sweatshirts, jerseys, jackets), that I'm wearing something bolts almost every day. But after that loss to the Jets, it's going to be a while before I even want to think about football.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis