Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
So what did you think of this year’s Grammy’s?

Overall I enjoyed it although it was long again. I wasn’t too impressed with Queen Latifah’s hosting capabilities although I usually like her. And what was up with the J-Lo/Marc Anthony duet? Don’t we get enough of that in the tabloids? :eek: Here’s a few of the live performances I enjoyed:

*The opening songs, especially Franz Ferdinand. My local paper slammed the opening medley of songs because they didn’t flow together but I enjoyed it.

*U2 singing “Sometimes you can’t make it on your own.” But of course I always like U2. :D

*The duet of Alicia Keyes and Jamie Foxx singing “Georgia on my mind”. I thought the classis look on Alicia does her much better than her usual funky attire. And Jamie really can sing, definitely a multi-talented guy.

*The Southern Rock/Allman Brothers/Lynard Skynnard tribute. Who was the younger guy singing and playing guitar anyway? :confused:

*And my favorite was Melissa Ethridge doing the Janis Joplin tribute. Looks like Melissa is winning her battle with breast cancer. :)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I was pleased to see a few deserving bands get Grammy's, but it was kinda spoiled for me when Britney got a Grammy. C'mon! :confused: What a hack. Why not give Ashlee Simpson one too? That's like giving an Oscar to Jean-Claudde Van Damm. :p It sorta detracts from the legitmacy of the award, doesn't it?

R

Red

Audioholic
Duffinator said:
So what did you think of this year’s Grammy’s?

*And my favorite was Melissa Ethridge doing the Janis Joplin tribute. Looks like Melissa is winning her battle with breast cancer. :)
Overall a pretty good show, but I certainly thought Melissa Ethridge's performance stole the show...and not just because she is battling cancer, but because she rocked.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Red said:
Overall a pretty good show, but I certainly thought Melissa Ethridge's performance stole the show...and not just because she is battling cancer, but because she rocked.
She may have done Janis better than Janis :eek:

Oh and I forgot to mention bleep Green Day, they bleep and bleep bleep rocked. :D

snakeyes

snakeyes

Audioholic Intern
missed the janis tribute

i missed the janis tribute i dont care for mellissa e but if she was covering janis it could have been good. anyone know where i could hear that audio?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Rob Babcock said:
That's like giving an Oscar to Jean-Claudde Van Damm. :p It sorta detracts from the legitmacy of the award, doesn't it?
hmmmmmmm Nicolas Cage and John Travolta have Oscars.... kinda hard to use "Legitimacy" in the same sentence there...... :eek:

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Yeah, the Oscars get pretty flakey too. Frickin' Titanic? C'mon! What a joke. I don't have much of an opinion either way on Cage- I assume that if he won an Oscar it must have been for "Leaving Las Vegas," a movie in which his performanc was powerful and compelling. I can't recall what it may have been up against. Travolta is, IMOHO, probably the worst actor of his generation; he was his era's Keanu or Ashton Kutcher. However, you're mistaken- he's never won an Oscar, although inexplicably he's been nominated twice.

Awards tend to get wonky at times, but I think Oscar follows the educated critical opinion to a much greater degree than the Grammy's. Grammy's seem to flow from guilt & admiration (eg Ray Charles- had he not died who'd honestly have given a second thought to even suggesting a Grammy for him?) and flat out popularity. They try to throw in a few "critic's darlings" to create an air of legitimacy, but mostly it's Big Music's annual butt kissing contests. "You made us a crapload of money this year! Thanks! Take this little widget!"

The Oscar awards can be swayed by politics, but it appears outwardly that some effort is made to award the worthy, not just the popular. Some big films and actors have won (eg Titanic, LotR, Gladiator) but some low budget ones have also won (eg "Life Is Beautiful"). Sometimes an old warhorse gets the statue (eg DeNiro, Penn) but sometimes a young actor with a brilliant perfomance takes the nod (eg Swank, Charlize Theron).

Both involve some buttkissing, but I think that the Oscars has a marginal edge in dignity and validity. The Grammy's are a pure joke.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The facts can be very inconvenient, I'll grant you that. I didn't mean to embarrass you by pointing out your errors. No, I think you mistake "having a lot of nerve," for "touching a nerve." ;) I hope you weren't overly confused by my response- I should've crafted the one liner you'd have been able to understand better. :p

I hope you weren't overly offended by my assertion that Britney is undeserving of the award. It was just my opinion, don't toss her CDs out on my account! :D

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I couldn't even name a Brit song if I had to. I completely agree that all these awards are either a popularity contest (for example, Santana should have won awards long before they did and didn't really deserve to win for what they had on the table at the time)or the critics imposing their will on everybody else (ie Woody Allen)... You just took alot more sentences to say it than I did... :D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I can't say much about Santana, as I don't know his music very well, but I think you're right. His was a "make up Grammy", but that shows how the process works. His duet with what's-his-face was one of his most popular songs in ages, so they finally have him an award. Look at all the tributes and accolades for Johnny Cash; sure, he was popular when he was alive, but death might have been the best thing for his career. ;)

Look at Ray Charles- his last Grammy was in '93. I seriously doubt he wouldn've been considered for one this time had a movie about him not been released after his death. Am I just too cynical or is that the same sort of cross promotional tie in Disney and Burger King might use to help sell the movie? :rolleyes:

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Rob Babcock said:
Am I just too cynical or is that the same sort of cross promotional tie in Disney and Burger King might use to help sell the movie? :rolleyes:
Burger King, Don King....close enough !! :D

X

xraydude

Audiophyte
Duffinator said:
*The Southern Rock/Allman Brothers/Lynard Skynnard tribute. Who was the younger guy singing and playing guitar anyway? :confused:

The guy playing guitar and singing was Keith Urban, a country singer/songwriter. I live in Nashville and he's very popular around here. He's one of the few country acts I listen to, and he recently sold out 3 shows at the Ryman Auditorium (2,000 seats) here in Nashville in just 35 minutes. Great artist, heck of a guitar player!

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
Grammy Awards

Rob,

I often agree with your opinions, but your analysis of the Grammys and Oscars is spot on, brother. What a crock. Unfortunately, comming to this conclusion is something you learn this over time from watching the machine chug along, making the same stupid hype driven mistakes, over and over. It's such a shame, becuase so many deserving artists never get any recognition, while the hacks that the machine seems indebted to, seem to receive all the accolades.

What the hay, we're not going to change it, so I usually just try and ignore it.

Pat :cool:

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I found the Grammy's to be extremely boring this year. Nothing controversial happened (at least until it put me to sleep). Queen Latifa was an awful host, IMO. Totally out of her element. I thought the songs were "safe" and boring. J-Lo and Hubby were boring. The whole Southern Rock thing was boring. I'm not sure how they can still call themselves Lyndrd Skynrd when all the talent died in that plane crash back in 76. And that jazz thing Queen Latifa did was boring.

There was nothing that pushed the envelope, nothing "new," nothing cutting edge. If this is the epitome of today's music, no wonder it sucks so bad.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I do have to clarify that I didn't see the show, I just read the list of winners (why someone would watch it is beyond me.... :rolleyes: :p ). It seems a pretty safe list, again with a couple critic's darlings (eg John Mayer & Wilco) alongside the biggest commercial hacks, er, artists of the day. ;)

I really wish that critics and a few insiders picked the Grammy's, sort of akin to the way the Oscars are chosen. Yeah, I realize they can be full of it too, but when the really knowledgeable ones make the picks you don't quite so many horsecrap Awards. I may disagree with, say, Roger Ebert, but I trust that he has a great understanding of film. His picks aren't just based on the Numbers.

It seems like the Grammy's are just a marketing tool now.

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
Yeah, I remember that year when an obsure "Foreign" Film "Life is Beautiful" won the Best Actor over Tom Hanks that year. I honestly thought Hanks got robbed that year. "LIB" should have won in its prospective catagory, Best Actor in a Foreign Film. I mean, how do we know the Italian film was good if you cant speak the language and you're reading subtitles?

Duffinator

Duffinator

snakeyes said:
i missed the janis tribute i dont care for mellissa e but if she was covering janis it could have been good. anyone know where i could hear that audio?
The Janis Joplin songs Cry Baby/Piece of my Heart was just released on iTunes. Sung by Melissa Etheridge and Joss Stone. Proceeds from the song support breast cancer research. Not sure if this link is going to work but here goes:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/lastChanceRedirect?itmsURL=itms://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=49671982

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis