200 Mbps for $50.00 a month. All in.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Mods, This seemed like the best place to put this. If not, please feel free to move to a more appropriate thread.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/04/starry-internets-beaming-broadband-tech-hits-la-and-dc-this-month-with-more-cities-coming-soon/

https://starry.com/internet

Starry Internet offers “pre-standard 5G,” Starry’s 200 Mbps up/download service runs $50 a month, which includes installation and the company’s fancy pants touchscreen Starry Station WiFi hub.
“We identify vertical assets, such as managed rooftops or towers, to locate our Starry Beams,” says Kanojia. “Our teams then identify buildings and homes to locate Starry Points. The Beams and Points are deployed.”

Test launches in select cities; New York, Cleveland, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Seattle, Detroit, Atlanta, Indianapolis, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Miami and Minneapolis. A pretty solid selection metropolitan areas in the continental US.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Mods, This seemed like the best place to put this. If not, please feel free to move to a more appropriate thread.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/04/starry-internets-beaming-broadband-tech-hits-la-and-dc-this-month-with-more-cities-coming-soon/

https://starry.com/internet

Starry Internet offers “pre-standard 5G,” Starry’s 200 Mbps up/download service runs $50 a month, which includes installation and the company’s fancy pants touchscreen Starry Station WiFi hub.
“We identify vertical assets, such as managed rooftops or towers, to locate our Starry Beams,” says Kanojia. “Our teams then identify buildings and homes to locate Starry Points. The Beams and Points are deployed.”

Test launches in select cities; New York, Cleveland, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Seattle, Detroit, Atlanta, Indianapolis, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Miami and Minneapolis. A pretty solid selection metropolitan areas in the continental US.
Even if it's not yet available in my area, I'll still +1 any promising effort to chip away at the monopolies of broadband Internet providers.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Even if it's not yet available in my area, I'll still +1 any promising effort to chip away at the monopolies of broadband Internet providers.
I agree. I have two choices for internet in my area, Comcast, and AT&T. I have had Uverse, and it was terrible so switched to Comcast. A few kinks, but I'm reasonably satisfied with their service.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I agree. I have two choices for internet in my area, Comcast, and AT&T. I have I've had Uverse, and it was terrible so switched to Comcast. A few kinks, but I'm reasonably satisfied with their service.
DSL in my area is barely a step up from ISDN, and can only loosely be called broadband. Satellite is similar even on the sunniest of days. My only real option is Comcast. Like you, I'm mostly satisfied with their download speeds and uptime. What I don't like are the throttled upload speeds or the terabyte monthly quota. With all the streaming that occurs in my house, I get dangerously close to that cap some months and have to be conscious of my usage toward the end of the month. If I could get rid of those things and still save $30 a month with Starry, I'd be all over that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL we have only DSL here right now (well, sat too but had that once, don't want that again). Would it be worth living in a big city again to get 200mbps? Nah. Supposedly we have a wireless service coming sometime in the future (its a year late now) that will offer a whopping 25mbps but that's better than the 6-8 I get currently....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Ugh, this makes me kinda sad. My girl and are are moving in the summer to an area where our options are 3-5 MBPS DSL (though either AT&T or Comcast) or 25 MBPS satellite.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ugh, this makes me kinda sad. My girl and are are moving in the summer to an area where our options are 3-5 MBPS DSL (though either AT&T or Comcast) or 25 MBPS satellite.
Well the outdoors here is awesome, so not so bad to "suffer" poor internet. :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Well the outdoors here is awesome, so not so bad to "suffer" poor internet. :)
True, but we'd love to cut the cord and we're going to the far west suburbs of Chicago. Netflix in 1080P will be barely functional at those DSL speeds though. :( I do, however, plan to start biking again when we get there. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True, but we'd love to cut the cord and we're going to the far west suburbs of Chicago. Netflix in 1080P will be barely functional at those DSL speeds though. :( I do, however, plan to start biking again when we get there. :D
Wow I'd still expect better service out there but not sure where you draw the line these days....Villa Park seemed fairly far west when I left Oak Park :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Wow I'd still expect better service out there but not sure where you draw the line these days....Villa Park seemed fairly far west when I left Oak Park :)
It's called West Chicago, near Naperville, but we'll be on one of the more remote streets in the area with only 7 or 8 other houses nearby. This will be great for me with the two UM-18's in the works. :p

I signed up for Starry's emails and to let them know I'd love to have their service out there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's called West Chicago, near Naperville, but we'll be on one of the more remote streets in the area with only 7 or 8 other houses nearby. This will be great for me with the two UM-18's in the works. :p

I signed up for Starry's emails and to let them know I'd love to have their service out there.
Yow! My grandparents lived in Glen Ellyn back then and I thought that was way out there! Few neighbors far apart can be a very good thing, tho :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yow! My grandparents lived in Glen Ellyn back then and I thought that was way out there! Few neighbors far apart can be a very good thing, tho :)
It's near a lot of universities/colleges for her to find work and there is a lot of science in the area for me. I'll welcome less people from where I currently live now. lol

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm very happy with ATT Uverse, but I have the gigabit version, not the ADSL version they market as "fiber".

Their equipment sucks and I have to use it, but I'll take it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I love this for the fact that the entrenched Telco's have no grounds to sue based on the fact that no poles are getting touched.

But it is wireless and it's not going to be consistent.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis