2 zone receiver question

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I have a friend who wants to have a 5.1 set up in the den and a 2 channel zone B in the dining room. Are there any 7.1 receivers less than $1200 that can be configured in this manner perhaps at the factory? I believe the B&K receiver can but it is over $4,000.

U

Unregistered

Practically all 7.1 receivers from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, and H/K can be configured in that way. See the Onkyo 602 for example, which is well under your price range - it's about $500.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Yamaha 1500 & 2500 both have zone 2 (and zone 3) capability. The 2500 includes amplified zone 2 (not sure about the 1500). The second zone is truly discrete, in that you can listen to something completely different in the den while watching a movie in the theater.

You can also use the zone 3 to feed a house system if you wanted to.

I will likely get the 2500 - zone1 = theater zone2=master bedroom zone3=whole house feed for FM.

OF PARTICULAR INTEREST: Many receivers advertise zone2, but do not handle it very well. That is, you try to turn on zone2, and it also turns on zone1. Or you MUST use the rear IR input to control zone2. Or if zone1 is using the FM radio, then zone2 has no control over it. The Yamaha offers true discrete control of zone2 separate from zone1. This way when you want the theater off - it is off and the den can be on. When you want the theater on, the den can be off. But, pull out the remote, and turn the den on at any point - it won't mess with the theater at all.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I'd like to expand on BMX's comment. ALOT of receivers out there (including the Sony STDR-897, 2000ES, and 3000ES) only send a signal out at the PRE-AMP level. You would still need to have a receiver or amplifier at the speaker end of the connection. If you had to have a receiver in the room anyway, why would you want to send a signal all the way from some other room (maybe if you were listening to digital cable audio, and didn't have a cable jack in the second room ?)

You want to be sure whatever amp you pick has the output at an AMPLIFIED level. The pre-amp method really defeats the purpose of the second zone, especially if you were going to send the signal outside, where you couldn;t really place an extra amp..

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Following up even more...

Some receivers (Yamaha 2500) give you the option of amplifying the signal using the receivers audio or taking it to an outboard amp. Typically zone 2/3 is taken to an amplifier that is used for whole house audio. So, zone 2 isn't powered by the A/V receiver, but is sent to a 12x30 watt amplifier to drive 6+ zones of audio throughout the home.

In my case, zone 1 is the theater, zone 2 is the (amplified) master bedroom, zone 3 goes into a 8x8 switching/volume control pre-amp that sends audio to 8 rooms of the home (a total of 10 zones in my house). That is all made possible by the v2500 receiver. I have run into more than a few clients who really, really appreciate the versatility of the Yamaha products combined with them sounding pretty good and putting out decent power for your cash.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for all your help. Things are even more versatile and cheaper than just three years ago when I was shopping.

M

mdrew

Audioholic
I have the H/K 7200. I am running stereo to a set of speakers and a sub in my great room off the AVR's Zone 2 speaker outputs, and I have a HT in a different room off the AVR's main system. The Zone 2 is actually the 6 and 7th channels of the AVR. I'm pretty sure that all the AVR's with this multi zone option are similar.

One draw back of this AVR, and I'm assuming all multi-zone AVRs, is that you get strict stereo signal on the second zone. No way to manipulate the bass/treble controls or use any of the AVR's nifty sound manipulation functions. I am currently looking for a gizmo that will enable me to manipulate the speaker level outputs, but haven't found anything yet.

U

Unregistered

Denon 3805

I recently purchased a pioneer elite 54tx and have another zone (outside). I set it up through multi-room system and both in the fixed and variable modes, the volume was very weak and like others have said, bass, treble and the different suuound modes could not be changed. If I connected to the surround back and set up through the "second zone" setting, then I could control the bass etc.. The downfall to this set up is that you have to listen to the same source(cd, tuner) on the first zone as well as the second zone.

I then went back to the dealer and asked for a comparable model that was able to do this since I had a deneon 3801 in the lower level that could do this. I then ordered a denon 3805 which they said could do this.. I am still waiting to see and if it holds up to the older denon model, it should work.

JM
jmoellman@cinci.rr.com

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Only Analog Signals usable for Zone 2?

I'm also looking for a receiver in the same price range with good zone-2 capability. The Yamaha RX-V750 has discreet Zone 2, and according to the manual does not require an external amp. However, this note concerns me. It says "Only analog signals are sent to the second room. Any source you want to listen to in the second room must be connected using the analog (AUDIO L/R) input jacks on this unit." So I guess listening to Music from a Squeezebox hooked up via optical connection in Zone 2 while watching a movie in Zone 1 is out? What about listening to the TV in both Zone 1 and Zone 2 simultaneously?

One of the main reasons I was looking at this receiver as opposed to the comparable HTR model is Zone 2 capability. If it really is this restrictive, I may as well pass. Any comments/info?

T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
I've got an HK 325 & the 2nd zone sounds great & works fine. I can watch a movie in 5.1 surround downstairs & listen to mp3s over my xbox upstairs (if there were 2 of me).
I think most receiver's zone 2 works on analogue only since digital signals would require extra dsp processors.
One thing I've learned though, is video monitor out for zone 2 is a must. I can't tell what the xbox is doing unless I set zone 1 to that input & run the composite monitor out to my living room.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I believe most HK, Denon, Yamaha, etc. receivers work the way Topher has described. Not being able to distribute digital audio inputs to remote zones is annoying but you can always hook up your analog inputs along with your digitals. That's what I have done with my HK and Denon receivers and it works fine.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
That would work, but kind of limiting

Yes, as far as I know, hooking up both the analog and digital connectors will work on the Squeezebox, but it's still pretty limiting for what I had in mind. It may be better just to set up a second receiver and Squeezebox and bag the whole zone-2 idea entirely. I have an old Pioneer receiver and some speakers that sound great, or I could always pick up one of the cheaper HTR series receivers that have limited connectors and features (but the same DSP's and Amps as the RX-V line), but can accomodate a TV and Squeezebox easily.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I dunno, but...

... with all the limitations placed on multi zone sudio, I think it's easier, more satisfying and not economicaly unfeasable to simply have another receiver/source in the target room.

The only circumstance where I would see differently is if one could simply run a set of speaker cables and get the needed source pumped into the second room. Actually, this is not unlike the A/B speaker switch on my 30+ year old receiver.

dm_4u

dm_4u

Junior Audioholic
Not sure if this part of Yamaha's zone 2 is widely known...or cared about...but for me it is the most important.

I am able to tape a movie from one satellite, (Zone 2 rec out), while watching HD football from another satellite, all the while listening to a cd...all through the Receiver.

Not sure if the Denon's are able to do this... :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis