2 Way bookshelf - Buy or DIY

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I am exploring the option of setting up a simple stereo system for my bro. 2 Way bookshelf with an amp.

I'm currently in the process of building 2 subwoofers, got 2 of the Rss390hf's. Divided between the massive 10cuft ported box and the low end compromised? 3cuft sealed design.

While I'm at it, I was wondering if it a good idea to build a 2 way bookshelf?

How difficult is it to build a 2 way speaker? Can a crossover be built from paper, or would it need to be measured, fixed etc?
Would it be worth the effect in terms of $$ savings?
Any expert suggestions or recommendations?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you go diy for the speaker I'd go with a proven design/kit rather than try and do everything....depends how much time and effort you'd want to put into it. You can buy the drivers and crossover components and build your own cabinet and assemble your own crossover, or you can get the baffle for the speaker and build the rest of the box, or have them assemble the crossover (at least these are often choices with speaker kits). Check out diysoundgroup.com, parts-express.com, madisoundspeakerstore.com for kits....

A couple years back I built the BR-1 kit available at parts-express.com....I assembled the crossover and thought (for some reason that escaped me until it arrived) I was going to assemble the cabinet but it came built. Nice little speakers...Dennis Murphy of Philharmonic Audio later used these, with his modification to the crossover and cabinet, as Affordable Accuracy monitors (which were based on a Pioneer before that, then modified again after that before he stopped offering it altogether). Next time I build a speaker I'll probably do the whole cabinet, and just buy the components. I might have them do the crossover, tho, my soldering could stand a lot of improvement ;)

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Building cabinet and building the crossover is not an issue for me. Given a design I can do both! (Unless the box is crazy complicated)

What I have no experience in is the design.
It's the design of the crossover, the components and its specifications. The design of the box, ported or sealed. Which drivers to go with?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We also have a diy sub-forum here, there may even be a few designs there already....

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Building cabinet and building the crossover is not an issue for me. Given a design I can do both! (Unless the box is crazy complicated)

What I have no experience in is the design.
It's the design of the crossover, the components and its specifications. The design of the box, ported or sealed. Which drivers to go with?
I also recommend you look into a kit. There are lot of decent designs for 2-way bookshelf speakers. What's your price range? Look at kits offered by Parts Express, Madisound, or Meniscus Audio.

The design of the cabinet box is a bit more complicated, but still doable. It depends entirely on the woofer you choose. It also takes some experience so you can avoid some rookie errors. Designing a crossover that works well with the woofer and tweeter you chose is quite a bit more complicated. It takes some expensive measuring gear, and there's a long learning curve. That difficulty is why we suggest a kit, the crossover design is already done by someone who knows what he's doing.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm currently in the process of building 2 subwoofers, got 2 of the Rss390hf's. Divided between the massive 10cuft ported box and the low end compromised? 3cuft sealed design.
Before you begin a 10cuft cabinet, make sure you know its external dimensions and can estimate its weight. ¾" thick MDF is heavy. Can you lift such a big box? And will it fit through doors or stairways?

When my son was an overeager teenager, he built an elaborately designed and very large speaker cabinet in the basement. It was no better than a 2-story doghouse, because he couldn't get it upstairs :oops:.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I also recommend you look into a kit. There are lot of decent designs for 2-way bookshelf speakers. What's your price range? Look at kits offered by Parts Express, Madisound, or Meniscus Audio.

The design of the cabinet box is a bit more complicated, but still doable. It depends entirely on the woofer you choose. It also takes some experience so you can avoid some rookie errors. Designing a crossover that works well with the woofer and tweeter you chose is quite a bit more complicated. It takes some expensive measuring gear, and there's a long learning curve. That difficulty is why we suggest a kit, the crossover design is already done by someone who knows what he's doing.
I live in India, so shipping boxes will not work out. I might as well buy bookshelves.

That's what I was afraid of. If Getting the crossover right requires some niche measuring gear, then this is definitely not happening.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In India it may even be hard to source the drivers and componenets specified in a plan. Would you be okay with shipping of the drivers/crossover components? Maybe seek out diy audio expertise in India? Surely there must be some enthusiasts there.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Shipping won't work out. Comes out much more expensive.
We do get numerous dayton drivers. But costs from 2 to 3 times the US price. I can source the components one way or the other, that is not an issue. I can also get the boxes made at very low costs.

If the crossover needs measuring instruments to design then bummer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Shipping won't work out. Comes out much more expensive.
We do get numerous dayton drivers. But costs from 2 to 3 times the US price. I can source the components one way or the other, that is not an issue. I can also get the boxes made at very low costs.

If the crossover needs measuring instruments to design then bummer.
Or just use active crossovers/amps?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you mean The amp should have two outputs for each input channel..?
One for the tweeter one for the mid range/bass....?
I was more imagining something like a miniDSP 2x4 feeding 4 amps, one amp channel for each tweeter/woofer. Your own active speaker build so to speak.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
That would be either a 4 channel amp or 2 two channel amps.
Will give it a thought.

When you said the passive crossover filters needed measurement to get it right, does that imply the crossover frequency is well defined for the given design . However, the components may now give us that target crossover. Only way to get it right is to measure-tweak it.? By using an active digital crossover, problem solved. But you have multiple inputs for single speaker

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or amp modules that can fit in your speaker box like an active speaker uses, or use external amps (or even some pro amps have built in crossovers). Variety of ways you could do speaker terminals, too. Designing a passive crossover is not something I can do nor want to delve into at this time. Swerd has experience and @ryanosaur has been diving into it. You might want to think about speaker measurement mic and appropriate software like Dayton's DATS https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1650/dats-v3-computer-based-audio-component-test-system

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Unless building a proven kit, you should consider the microphone, measurement software and at least DATS as a requirement. Even still... I wouldn't want to proceed without, as there are just too many variables. Even in the drivers themselves.
No real need to have flat-packs of wood or MDF shipped to you if you have the access to a wood shop/tools to fabricate your own cabinets.

Towards this last part, Active Speakers will still require measurements to tune the active XO correctly. I don't see this as a shortcut, I'm afraid. I have yet to build an active XO but am considering it for a future project. Of course, I already have two different measuring systems and can utilize at least one of them for most practical purposes (programming MiniDSP).

Though I fully encourage learning more about speaker design and embarking on such an undertaking... I can't help but think you will be spending a lot more to get started on a DIY project based on what you've described.

That said, doesn't Peerless manufacture in India? They do have some respectable drivers. It may be possible to find a design that can be built using locally sourced product... but will likely take a good deal of research.
You could throw caution to the wind and not do any measurements... but then you'll never know how the project turned out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis