2 Turntables & a Microphone...

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
...Well, not really, but I do have a bizarre question of sorts.

Currently, I'm running a 7.1 system off of the Denon. I have the Axiom speaker set up as referenced below, and to that I just added 2 rear surround speakers (Boston Acoustics). I've carefully readjusted the entire speaker array, paying very close attention to spacing, toe in, etc. and then performed the Audessy mic placement set up several times, adjusting as I went. The system now sounds phenomenal. I can now truly understand what people have been saying all along about the Axiom speakers.

Here's the deal. My amp still has plenty of power and 2 more channels I'm not using (Front "B"). I also still have 2 incredible vintage speakers (Fried) left over from a past stereo system. Would it be considered tacky to add these 2 speakers somewhere to the already boisterous 7.1 system utilizing the front "B" channel and the Fried speakers? Is this sort of thing done?

Tab

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Is this sort of thing done?
Maybe, but it's NEVER talked about. At least not in polite company. It's a shameful, shameful practice and not one to bring up in public. :D

To me, this hobby is all about enjoyment. I say give it a try! If you like it better with them hooked up, then by all means run with it. If you don't, then you really haven't lost out on anything...except maybe your time, but I'd say it's time well spent learning something new.

Glad to hear that your system is tuned so well and that you're enjoying it!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Wont running 'a' and 'b' at the same time cause a potential dangerous drop in ohms?

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
I believe that doing that will offer you a simple doubling up of your front channels. You won't have a way to independently control those channels without affecting the fronts that you already have set up -- and with which you are currently happy.

As someone else also mentioned, it may also drop the impedance "seen" by the amps, which could cause some problems (although I'm sure that receiver will go into protect mode before actualy failure). I wouldn't worry about this at all at low volumes, and if you run into lots of receiver shutdown, well, then you'll know what's up.

OTOH, you could give it a try and see if you like it. Seems like you're prone to experimentation, and it could be fun.

Another experiment you might do with those extra speaker outs is bi-amp your front speakers. I don't think this will be a true bi-amp because of the way the receiver is likely configured, but it might be fun to experiment with. It's likely that you will notice no difference, but if you have the extra speaker cable, you're out nothing anyway.

Good luck!

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
I believe that doing that will offer you a simple doubling up of your front channels. You won't have a way to independently control those channels without affecting the fronts that you already have set up -- and with which you are currently happy.

As someone else also mentioned, it may also drop the impedance "seen" by the amps, which could cause some problems (although I'm sure that receiver will go into protect mode before actualy failure). I wouldn't worry about this at all at low volumes, and if you run into lots of receiver shutdown, well, then you'll know what's up.

OTOH, you could give it a try and see if you like it. Seems like you're prone to experimentation, and it could be fun.

Another experiment you might do with those extra speaker outs is bi-amp your front speakers. I don't think this will be a true bi-amp because of the way the receiver is likely configured, but it might be fun to experiment with. It's likely that you will notice no difference, but if you have the extra speaker cable, you're out nothing anyway.

Good luck!
Actually, that's a great idea! That is exactly what I'm going to do. I've always wanted to try it anyway. I'm getting ready to order a bunch of in-wall Cobalt cable, so this is the perfect time.

I've heard that it's not a problem bi-amping the 4806 and the Axiom's. Did I hear wrong?

Thanks-

Tab

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
I've heard that it's not a problem bi-amping the 4806 and the Axiom's. Did I hear wrong?
Hey Tab,

You'll be fine. You're not cutting the impedance "seen" by the amp when biamping your Axioms. Putting an entirely different pair of speakers in parallel with the Axioms will decrease your impedance. Still, in the latter case, I'm pretty sure you'll be OK, unless there are serious impedance dips (in which case your receiver will go into protect mode, and you'll know why). I've run 4 ohm Maggies on an older Denon receiver without problems -- although it did run out of steam at volume. It's when you really start pushing things that you'll notice deficiencies.

I think you'll be fine.

Have fun!

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
Thanks, I'll let you know how things turn out...if i ever get my amp back.

Tab

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis