(2) SB3000 or (1) SB16 Ultra?

S

snardvaark

Audiophyte
I'm currently demo'ing two SB3000's. So far, they sound and measure best stacked next to the right main speaker.
This begs the question: for the same price, would a single SB16 Ultra, or possibly Monolith 15" ultra, be a better choice?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would guess that two SB-3000s would offer a bit more output in midbass compared to a SB16-Ultra. What is more, they would be a lot easier to handle than a SB16-Ultra. The Sb16-Ultra is a ridiculous 120 lbs for a sealed sub. It is very difficult to move around. I would much prefer two SB-3000s to one SB16-Ultra.

S

snardvaark

Audiophyte
I agree with your assertion regarding the weight; SB3000 is very manageable.
Thanks for your input.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Also if you do not co-locate them, you can begin to even out the bass response in your room. :) Depending on room size, you could still see benefits of cabin gain.

S

snardvaark

Audiophyte
I had them flanking the center channel for a few weeks, and there was some midbass cancellation going on there. I guess my next move would be to place them close to the MLP, at each end of the sofa.

I have measured a crude response that is more or less flat and slightly rising toward 20hz, from 20-80hz with the subs stacked at the front. The subs are summing at +4-5db in the deep bass, and filling in a deep suckout (14db) at 50-60hz

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
The subs are equidistant from the MLP and each other yet they're cancelling a null? I'd be curious to know how that happened as the pair should have the same response to room interactions.

S

snardvaark

Audiophyte
Room placement is asymmetric, so one sub is close to 1/8 space and the other was in 1/4 space. Not sure why stacking them near 1/8 space fills in that null. I expected the null to be worse, not better. BTW, the null is actually audible as well as measurable.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis