2 rear surrounds or 2 more Atmos?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're doing well so far I think....reminds me my brother still has his RSLs from original outfit....(the dad is still involved but the son runs it these days).

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Yes, Joe is the son. I am really impressed with him. He’s a quality guy

R

Rylan

Audioholic
If you didn't have that much room I'd say stick to 5ch bed layer, but I'd lean towards 7ch in your size room with the addition of an amp....but I'd want at least 4 overheads (but I haven't gone Atmos, don't want to mess with the ceilings).
So are you saying with my room size, that you would lean towards a 7.1.2 vs a 5.1.4?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So are you saying with my room size, that you would lean towards a 7.1.2 vs a 5.1.4?
No, saying I'd probably go 7.1.4 with an external amp helping out. (you do have 11ch processing, just 9ch of amp)

ps without additional amp help I'd vote 5.1.4 ....

pps but not likely just one sub

R

Rylan

Audioholic
No, saying I'd probably go 7.1.4 with an external amp helping out. (you do have 11ch processing, just 9ch of amp)

ps without additional amp help I'd vote 5.1.4 ....

pps but not likely just one sub
Haha to the Pps! Noted!! So my Onkyo Rz50 will allow for additional amps and i could do a 7.1.4 eventually?

how much is a decent amp? Are they big?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haha to the Pps! Noted!! So my Onkyo Rz50 will allow for additional amps and i could do a 7.1.4 eventually?

how much is a decent amp? Are they big?
Yes, your RZ50 has a full set of pre-outs for amp flexibility and processing for 11.1 ch of processing....Amps vary in price with capabilities...many would add the external amp to for L/R stereo use primarily, or even a 3ch amp for the front three.....you can also go the other way and get a minimal amp just for surrounds....depends on your spl goals and speakers....

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Sounds like the cheaper route might be to go with a minimal amp for just the surrounds. I wouldn’t even know where to begin looking for an amp or even a brand that would be decent. Any recommendations? Even a link? Just to give me an idea of what I can start shopping for?

Basically I would hook up the amp to the pre-out and and then hook my speaker wire into the amp? And my receiver would then recognize this new rear surrounds channel and would calibrate with my Dirac live?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like the cheaper route might be to go with a minimal amp for just the surrounds. I wouldn’t even know where to begin looking for an amp or even a brand that would be decent. Any recommendations? Even a link? Just to give me an idea of what I can start shopping for?

Basically I would hook up the amp to the pre-out and and then hook my speaker wire into the amp? And my receiver would then recognize this new rear surrounds channel and would calibrate with my Dirac live?
Generally when adding a different amp, as opposed to the on-board amps, you'd re-run the setup routine to accommodate the amp. Personally I'd take the opportunity to add amps to the L/R if not L/R/C. Might check out the Outlaw 2220, or various Buckeye amps....that's where I'd look first.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis