2 rear surrounds or 2 more Atmos?

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Now that I have my AVR Figured out (I’m getting the OnKyo RZ50) I will have a 9.2 capable system.

My speakers from RLS I ordered are the CG23, 5.1 system plus the (2) C34E Atmos speakers. Now that I know I can add more speakers, would you recommend I get two additional Atmos speakers for a total of four, or would you just keep the two Atmos an ad in rear surrounds? I’m not sure which would give me a better sound? Their atmos are the ones that go in ceiling and have a 15° baffle

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would add two more tops, and leave rear surrounds for later. 5.1.4 is better than 7.1.2.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
How about wire both them up and switch between the two depending on the sound mix as some movies are 7.1.2 static mix.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I’ve heard a few other opinions about whether using a 7.1.2 vs a 5.1.4. What I’m hearing from a few is that there isn’t a ton of content with atmos and if choosing a 7.1.2 I would hear much more content. I personally don’t have an opinion yet so I’m still trying to determine what will sound best. I’d appreciate any further thoughts or advice

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t really see the point of people doing 7.1.2 or 5.1.2 because only 2 Atmos speakers is not going to be as great as 4.

DSU can upmix all the 7.1 and 5.1 content to whichever layout.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve heard a few other opinions about whether using a 7.1.2 vs a 5.1.4. What I’m hearing from a few is that there isn’t a ton of content with atmos and if choosing a 7.1.2 I would hear much more content. I personally don’t have an opinion yet so I’m still trying to determine what will sound best. I’d appreciate any further thoughts or advice
Well the reality is that there is a lot of Atmos confront there. Most of the whiners that say there’s no content haven’t looked. While it is true that not all tracks are created equal, there are some really great ones. My system is currently 7.x.4, and for a long time was 5.1 and just grew over time. Before I had rear surrounds, I was amazed at how often I could still hear sounds behind me with just 5.1. I did spend a lot of time aiming my surrounds, but going to 7.1 from 5.1 was not really crazy. Also, as mentioned before .4 will give you front to back and back to front overhead panning. It can also give you a direct overhead image via phantom imaging. So IMO, fwiw, those that have the opinion you shared are wrong.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
That is helpful. I’m now leaning towards the 5.1.4. This is still all new to me. Can you please explain what phantom imaging means? There are still some words I trying to learn

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No worries. There’s a LOT of stuff to learn. Just have to take bite sized pieces. So phantom imaging can be described as hearing sounds between two or more speakers. The best example is simple 2.0 stereo. When set up correctly, you can usually hear the vocalist(or instruments)in the center of those two speakers. That’s what .4 overhead speakers will do with .2 overhead content. This can also work between other pairs of speakers.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
No worries. There’s a LOT of stuff to learn. Just have to take bite sized pieces. So phantom imaging can be described as hearing sounds between two or more speakers. The best example is simple 2.0 stereo. When set up correctly, you can usually hear the vocalist(or instruments)in the center of those two speakers. That’s what .4 overhead speakers will do with .2 overhead content. This can also work between other pairs of speakers.
Great explanation. Thank you. So if I only had two atmos, It would be challenging to achieve phantom imaging?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Great explanation. Thank you. So if I only had two atmos, It would be challenging to achieve phantom imaging?
Well not exactly. If you have .2 and the content has a center overhead image, it will be placed between the two overhead speakers. If you have .4, the system will use all four speakers to phantom image directly in the center. Some people say that using four doesn’t do that as sharply. I can’t say as I’ve only had .4, but imo I would accept that as a trade off in keeping better overall ceiling coverage. .4 also allows better imaging between rear overhead speakers and surrounds/rear surrounds and also the front overhead speakers and mains/center. As usual there are trade offs with every system. You just have to balance them out!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How much room do you have behind your seating (for rear surrounds)?

R

Rylan

Audioholic
How much room do you have behind your seating (for rear surrounds)?
I have exactly 7’ 5 1/2” behind my seated chair position. My chair is 12’ from the tv and my LCR baffles. My room width is 17’ 9” wide and my ceiling height is 7’ 9”

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have exactly 7’ 5 1/2” behind my seated chair position. My chair is 12’ from the tv and my LCR baffles. My room width is 17’ 9” wide and my ceiling height is 7’ 9”
If you didn't have that much room I'd say stick to 5ch bed layer, but I'd lean towards 7ch in your size room with the addition of an amp....but I'd want at least 4 overheads (but I haven't gone Atmos, don't want to mess with the ceilings).

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I spent a lot of time doing reviews and I landed in this Onkyo RZ50. I was gong to purchase a Sony 7.2 channel but I upgraded to the 9.2 Onkyo. Hoping it was a good move. I have until Jan 14 to return it

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You’ll be ok. Rear surrounds are definitely nice to have, and I wouldn’t get rid of mine(since I don’t need to), but a good 5ch bed layer that’s set up well can be very very enveloping. Then add your .4 and good tracks, you’ll be amazed.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Yes, Im excited to try this out. My 5.1 speakers are from RSL https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg23-5-1-home-theater-speaker-system/

I have 1 sub. https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s-mkii/

Their speedwoofer has won awards and Gene from Audioholics talks very highly of their speakers and sub. He says they are small but they surprisingly have large high end sound. He was impressed in his review.

I also currently have 2 of these atmos speakers but likely will purchase 2 more if i decide to go with the 5.1.4.

I have not tested any of these out yet. Hoping this week to get things hooked up and start testing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis