S

SpudMuffin

Audiophyte
I have a small tripath amp driving 2 speakers. There are 2 inputs types that are common. I am using both inputs which weakens the signal input on both. I have a TV and an Amazon echo for inputs. When I disconnect one of them both the volume and the clarity increase significantly for the unit that is still connected. Is there a way/device , besides getting a manual switch, that I could use to resolve this?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a small tripath amp driving 2 speakers. There are 2 inputs types that are common. I am using both inputs which weakens the signal input on both. I have a TV and an Amazon echo for inputs. When I disconnect one of them both the volume and the clarity increase significantly for the unit that is still connected. Is there a way/device , besides getting a manual switch, that I could use to resolve this?
What type of input connections does it have? If they're RCA jacks, what kind of cables are you using? If they're 3.5mm jacks, make sure the plugs are stereo, not mono.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You can not connect inputs, only outputs. You do need a switch or a dedicated mixing circuit. What you are doing is just wrong. In other words on output can be fed to two inputs, but two outputs can NOT be fed to one input.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Is there a simple one? for such an application? Also the inputs are 3.5 and rca.
You can search Amazon, Parts-Express and AliExpress for a passive stereo selector switch with RCA connections. They run anywhere from $25 - $100. The cheaper ones will just have a simple switch which requires turning the volume down on the amp when changing sources. The more expensive ones will have buffering so that you don't get a loud pop when changing sources and probably have better shielding from RF interference.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You have asked a complex question.

Your best and simplest solution is a switch box, to switch sources.

A passive mixer needs to be designed knowing all the source and input impedances as well as the output voltage of the two sources. There is no off the shelf solution.

In addition a passive mixing circuit will substantially reduce the voltage of the sources available at the input of the amp.

These sorts of circuits work best when you are mixing two sources with gain/voltage to spare, and they will not vary in gain structure. For instance I designed one for blending my sub woofer outputs with the Baffle Step Compensation signal I created for my triamped main speakers, and it works very well.

For your application a passive mixer circuit is not a good solution. For your issue you need a switch or an active mixer. Those are your only two realistic options. The switch will be the cheapest solution.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis