2 channel or 3 channel amplifier

S

steelydan75

Enthusiast
I’m a novice Disabled guy on a budget with a pair of Golden Ear Triton 7’s and a Denon avrx4100w GE super Center x and Paradigm surrounds from previous Cinema series 110 and would like some feedback on whether to get 2 channel or 3 channel amp and Wherher a 3 channel amp can run into 2 channels switching from movies to 2 channel listening? Would like some amp suggestions power ratings and if anyone’s had any luck with used or if I should save for new? Thanks guys.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What are you hoping to gain by adding an amp to the mix? The 4100 has a pretty decent power supply. You know you can double your amplifier power and only gain 3 dB? Most folks don't expect that. Here is a cool little tool we love to play with here at AH that calculates SPL for you at a given wattage. Just fill in the values in the boxes and click "calculate". It'll give you an idea of how much power you really use. Most of the time I'd say most of us hardly ever use more than a couple of watts at a time.

If you want like, a sound quality upgrade I don't see a subwoofer listed in your gear... big opportunity there! Subwoofers don't just add thump and boom. In fact a good sub should never be boomy unless there's a boom to reproduce! I know your towers have powered bass sections but they're not true "sub"-woofers and I think you would realize a meaningful improvement.

S

steelydan75

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add that I have a 10” Paradigm sub and two height speakers facing upwards behind the TV all three speakers also from the Paradigm cc110 box set. I’m in a wheelchair after an assault so movies and music list are my new hobby. I’m looking to get a fuller soundstage and get better lower volume sound and heighten my listening experience. Great calculator link.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your AVR-X4100W has no pre-out jacks, so it wouldn't be possible to connect any external power amp to it.
Are you sure about that? I looked it up and it appears it does have preouts unless I'm mistaken?
denon-avr-x4100w-72-network-av-receiver-wi-fi-bluetooth-D_NQ_NP_20913-MLM20201505819_112014-F.jpg

S

steelydan75

Enthusiast
I’m hoping your right lol. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks guys. Solid work.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’m hoping your right lol. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks guys. Solid work.
Your speakers are far far better then anything I have ,. Add pictures.
Looks like a robust amp you can just read the manual or model information would tell if it has pre outs for extra amplifier and how many probably 7.1ch

My klipsch are a little too low end and too bright . Maybe my bedroom is too small for full sized speakers .
Golden ear are million times better then low low end klipsch icons .
Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had perused the specs on the Denon website and no mention whatsoever about their existence. But, by the look of the above image, it has preouts, but only for the three front channels as opposed to what you usually find on most Marantz and flagship Denon AVRs.
I see a full set of pre-outs (there is a L/C/R to the left of the two sub pre-outs, the surrounds are to the right of the sub pre-outs). The Denon USA site shows under the inputs/outputs tab that it indeed has 13.2 pre-outs....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I see a full set of pre-outs (there is a L/C/R to the left of the two sub pre-outs, the surrounds are to the right of the sub pre-outs). The Denon USA site shows under the inputs/outputs tab that it indeed has 13.2 pre-outs....
Sorry, my mistake! I have deleted the posts with the inexact info. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, so the receiver is a keeper!

Now, let's talk about that subwoofer. You can do better, and I mean better as in a cleaner sound, not necessarily room rattling bass. If you're looking for a true sound quality upgrade a sub (or 2!) Is a viable path for you and I think you'd be surprised.

I had a pair of subs of roughly the same size and quality of yours (Klipsch RPW10s) and when I upgraded to something from a company who actually specialize in subs I was shocked at how much better my whole system sounded. Like I said it wasn't about getting more bass, it was clean bass. In fact at first I mistook the lack of distortion for lack of volume because they "seemed" quieter! I'd never heard good, clean bass from a legit sub in my room before. It was, I'd daresay, a revelatory experience.

Most people don't know what they're missing until they hear it. It was like getting glasses for my ears. You could try something from SVS (or a few others I can't think of off the top of my head) who offer risk free trial periods and see for yourself. If you're dissatisfied for ANY reason they'll give you a full refund and even pay the return shipping so it truly is risk free.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m a novice Disabled guy on a budget with a pair of Golden Ear Triton 7’s and a Denon avrx4100w GE super Center x and Paradigm surrounds from previous Cinema series 110 and would like some feedback on whether to get 2 channel or 3 channel amp and Wherher a 3 channel amp can run into 2 channels switching from movies to 2 channel listening? Would like some amp suggestions power ratings and if anyone’s had any luck with used or if I should save for new? Thanks guys.
A 3 channel amp with only a 2 channel stereo signal being fed into it will work perfectly well as a 2 channel amp. When 3 channels of signal are being fed into it, then you have 3 channels of output.

I’m looking to get a fuller soundstage and get better lower volume sound ...
I have only taken a peak at your center and saw that it had some low frequency aspirations. I wouldn't push that. You haven't mentioned your crossover point but if you're not at 80 Hz or above you might have the bass drowning out dialog in your center.

In any event amps are unlikely to change the sound of your speakers. Better speaker placement and room EQ might help you get what your after. The 'full' sound you seek may be the domain of the sub. A twin for your Paradigm would be the most affordable upgrade in that area but there are plenty of guys here who swear by multiple subs up around the thousand dollar mark. You'd need to specify what you have and how big your listening space is.

Sorry, my mistake!
50 lashes. :D

S

steelydan75

Enthusiast
My room is 18’ x 14’ I towed the speakers in and what a huge difference! My crossover is set at 80htz and will look into a quality sub. Should I keep with a another 10” sub or go 12”
Thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My room is 18’ x 14’ I towed the speakers in and what a huge difference! My crossover is set at 80htz and will look into a quality sub. Should I keep with a another 10” sub or go 12”
Thanks
We need some folks more familiar with your sub than I am to weigh in. If your sub is a clean sounding sub but underpowered then a 2nd one makes sense. If your sub doesn't measure very we'll then I'd say jump to a 12" (or 2! :p ).

What kind of budget are you looking at?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I had perused the specs on the Denon website and no mention whatsoever about their existence. But, by the look of the above image, it has preouts, but only for the three front channels as opposed to what you usually find on most Marantz and flagship Denon AVRs.

Loads better then my onkyo 818 , denon just way better ?

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

S

steelydan75

Enthusiast
We need some folks more familiar with your sub than I am to weigh in. If your sub is a clean sounding sub but underpowered then a 2nd one makes sense. If your sub doesn't measure very we'll then I'd say jump to a 12" (or 2! :p ).

It’s a 10” ported I believe 150w sub. It’s got a fair bit of punch but I’m a bass head so a 12” sub would be what the doctor ordered. Finding I’m just cranking it up too much which is ok once in a while but my neighbours probably aren’t to keen on it. Lol. Thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It’s a 10” ported I believe 150w sub. It’s got a fair bit of punch but I’m a bass head so a 12” sub would be what the doctor ordered. Finding I’m just cranking it up too much which is ok once in a while but my neighbours probably aren’t to keen on it. Lol. Thanks
Well there's plenty out there, but without a budget it's kinda hard to recommend anything, lol.

I think for you, moving to a good quality 12" (and plan for a 2nd one) would be good and you'll realize some improvements.

We always recommend going dual subwoofers whenever you can. Not for more volume, but for an even response through the whole room. Bass can be very finicky and uncooperative sometimes. It might sound great at one spot, but one seat over you can't hear anything. Having 2 of them smooths that out and gives you a little more headroom if you like running them hot.

Hsu is a great place to get the most bang for your buck, SVS are a little pricier, but very high quality, fantastic customer service and a 45 day risk free trial. I know there are others who offer the same type of no risk trial periods but don't remember who off the top of my head. RSL, Monoprice, Outlaw and Rythmik are a few others known for their subs too.

Need your budget tho before we can make any suggestions!

S

steelydan75

Enthusiast
Thanks for all your help much appreciated! Not sure what my budget is at the moment have to figure things out after Christmas and credit card debt lol. The only other question is I’ve got my current sub behind my TV in the corner so where do I place the other one?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for all your help much appreciated! Not sure what my budget is at the moment have to figure things out after Christmas and credit card debt lol. The only other question is I’ve got my current sub behind my TV in the corner so where do I place the other one?
A two channel amp + a monoblock can be a good option. You can get an Outlaw M2200 for $299 for now and add a two channel amp later. For movies, the center channel is the most power demanding one on average and in general.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The only other question is I’ve got my current sub behind my TV in the corner so where do I place the other one?
10" and 150 watts gives me the idea that that sub ain't much but it's not telling us the model of the sub. In any event your room is pretty big so for now trying it out nearfield is my suggestion. Recently I read a credible post saying that you need one hell of a 10" to outclass a run of the mill 12".

A little searching and reading will serve you well. I have no idea of your room layout and placement options. Even if I did, experimentation would be the suggestion. That's what I have to do in my own room and that takes time not to mention that my girl tends to change her mind about what my placement options are.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis