ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So if one were in the market looking for a new 2.1 preamp, is there anyone else making options in 2019 other than Parasound, Outlaw, and Emotiva. Just curious as I love this type of Pre in my 2.1 Audio only set up.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Adcom GFP-815 Stereo Preamplifier (MSRP $599).

It has dual stereo outputs.

The Main L/R Output would go to the Amplifier's L/R Inputs.

The Record L/R Outputs would go to the Subwoofer Inputs (or just one Input if the sub only has 1 Input). The Subwoofer would need a Low-Pass Filter to filter out the higher frequencies above 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, etc.

So the GFP-815 Preamp doesn't have built-in Bass Management and requires your Subwoofer to do the Crossover/Bass Management.

https://www.adcom.com/product_gfp815.php

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Interesting. By the way I did try the Outlaw sub filtering my main monitors as suggested by you. It worked well but had to put the sub back into my HT set up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Adcom GFP-815 Stereo Preamplifier (MSRP $599).

It has dual stereo outputs.

The Main L/R Output would go to the Amplifier's L/R Inputs.

The Record L/R Outputs would go to the Subwoofer Inputs (or just one Input if the sub only has 1 Input). The Subwoofer would need a Low-Pass Filter to filter out the higher frequencies above 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, etc.

So the GFP-815 Preamp doesn't have built-in Bass Management and requires your Subwoofer to do the Crossover/Bass Management.

https://www.adcom.com/product_gfp815.php
The record L/R outputs are fixed or variable?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So if one were in the market looking for a new 2.1 preamp, is there anyone else making options in 2019 other than Parasound, Outlaw, and Emotiva. Just curious as I love this type of Pre in my 2.1 Audio only set up.
Without seeing the service manuals, I would just say try to stay away from AVR or AVP related prepros that likely use the same preamp/volume control chips. Adcom could be a safer bet in that sense, because they don't make AVR/AVPs.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So the Adcom wouldn’t trim the front Small speakers. Is that correct. This is a really needed option for me when I put my LS50’s in the mix. I switch my gear up when the mood strikes.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So the Adcom wouldn’t trim the front Small speakers. Is that correct. This is a really needed option for me when I put my LS50’s in the mix. I switch my gear up when the mood strikes.
True. The Adcom would output full-range signal.

You would need a preamp that is based on the AVR/AVP like PENG says.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
The Parasound P5/6 really has this type of item cornered in its favor. Hard to find a better quality pre with this feature that I need and use all the time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Parasound P5/6 really has this type of item cornered in its favor. Hard to find a better quality pre with this feature that I need and use all the time.
Actually I just remember something. My first pair of bookshelf speakers were the tiny NHT SuperZero. I used the Acurus RL11 stereo preamp similar to the Adcom, which also had one pair of L/R output, which outputs full-range signal.

The connection goes like this:

1. Adcom Preamp L/R Output —> Amp L/R Input
2. Amp Speaker Output (binding post) —> Outlaw Subwoofer Speaker Input (binding post)
3. Outlaw Subwoofer XO (example = 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz)
4. Outlaw Subwoofer Speaker Output (binding post) —> Speakers

So you don’t actually need bass management inside the preamp.

You can use any analog preamp (like the Adcom).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually I just remember something. My first pair of bookshelf speakers were the tiny NHT SuperZero. I used the Acurus RL11 stereo preamp similar to the Adcom, which also had one pair of L/R output, which outputs full-range signal.

The connection goes like this:

1. Adcom Preamp L/R Output —> Amp L/R Input
2. Amp Speaker Output (binding post) —> Outlaw Subwoofer Speaker Input (binding post)
3. Outlaw Subwoofer XO (example = 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz)
4. Outlaw Subwoofer Speaker Output (binding post) —> Speakers

So you don’t actually need bass management inside the preamp.

You can use any analog preamp (like the Adcom).
You should know by now this is ematthews. If he would trust the op amp in such suboofer to drive his LS50 (been there, done that too..), he wouldn't be asking for preamp recommendations.:D:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed, the P6 is probably as good as it gets for under $1,500, or even $2,000. I think you worry too much about the importance of preamp sq though. I have my LS50 hook up most of my preamp/amps and I have long concluded that even a $599 AVR performs just as good, though Placebo does work differently on different people.

I hate to say this, but you seem to keep searching for integrated amps and now preamps, so presumably power amps too for SQ improvement, when at the price point of what you have been considering, what contribute most to overall sq is the music source and speakers. If I want better sq, I would replace my existing music cds/sacds/dvda/digital files with better (recording quality) ones. I learnt this myself after spending way too much on my separate gear. I may continue to do so (still considering that little Benchmark amp, now that the Bryston is sold) but it won't be for sq improvement.:D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
You should know by now this is ematthews. If he would trust the op amp in such suboofer to drive his LS50 (been there, done that too..), he wouldn't be asking for preamp recommendations.:D:D
Ha... I've been know to have trust issues. :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Agreed, the P6 is probably as good as it gets for under $1,500, or even $2,000. I think you worry too much about the importance of preamp sq though. I have my LS50 hook up most of my preamp/amps and I have long concluded that even a $599 AVR performs just as good, though Placebo does work differently on different people.

I hate to say this, but you seem to keep searching for integrated amps and now preamps, so presumably power amps too for SQ improvement, when at the price point of what you have been considering, what contribute most to overall sq is the music source and speakers. If I want better sq, I would replace my existing music cds/sacds/dvda/digital files with better (recording quality) ones. I learnt this myself after spending way too much on my separate gear. I may continue to do so (still considering that little Benchmark amp, now that the Bryston is sold) but it won't be for sq improvement.:D
Well not really. I do believe the recording is the most important part followed by room, then speakers. I have a few different speakers to choose from. Towers and book shelf options..I now only have my ATI amp Marantz CD player and both by Outlaw and SVS subs.. Have sold most of my other gear. Just looking for the preamp again. So I have sold a bunch of stuff...

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Speaking of recordings. Most of the music I listen to on my reference system is better recordings on CD from the likes of Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree etc..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well not really. I do believe the recording is the most important part followed by room, then speakers. I have a few different speakers to choose from. Towers and book shelf options..I now only have my ATI amp Marantz CD player and both by Outlaw and SVS subs.. Have sold most of my other gear. Just looking for the preamp again. So I have sold a bunch of stuff...
By the way, I am not really sure if analog filters used in the P6 are better than the digital ones used in the AVR related/derived integrated amps. I actually tend to think that digital may actually be better. Imo, if you believe in "purity/unprocessed analog" stuff then you have to forgo bass management altogether and stick with traditional preamps that don't use ICs and dsps (or the minimal),or if you can "trust" technological advance made in ICs/DSPs, bass management or even REQ then may as well go for units fitted with Dirac/Anthem ARC or even Audyssey XT32. The latter 2 are only available for multichannel units obviously.

You still have your PM 8005 right? I think it has a very high quality preamp section, but then again no bass management.

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
By the way, I am not really sure if analog filters used in the P6 are better than the digital ones used in the AVR related/derived integrated amps. I actually tend to think that digital may actually be better. Imo, if you reality either you believe in purity then you have to forgo bass management altogether and stick with traditional preamps that don't use ICs and dsps (or the minimal),or if you can "trust" technological advance made in ICs/DSPs, bass management or even REQ then may as well go for units fitted with Dirac/Anthem ARC or even Audyssey XT32. The latter 2 are only available for multichannel units obviously.

You still have your PM 8005 right? I think it has a very high quality preamp section, but then again no bass management.
Yes. Still have and probably always will. But it's my system in the Master Bedroom. It sounds great too with full range RBH speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes. Still have and probably always will. But it's my system in the Master Bedroom. It sounds great too with full range RBH speakers.
If you use it as preamp only, I highly doubt the P6 can beat it, except in the features department.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis