2.1 For My 2nd Zone

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Hello gents (and ladies?). My 1½ y.o. daughter loves dancing to my music- I'm stoked on it because I used to dance with her in my arms before she was able to crawl and walk. Her affinity for the groove has got me thinking it's time to get the second zone on my AVR up and running. That, and I don't feel comfortable with her frolicking around my standmounts- I'd have to take a mortgage out on the doghouse if one of them fell on her:eek:.

The second zone would be in an adjacent room, so running wire will be a cinch. I'm not incredibly focused on imaging as much as I am just getting sound into the space, but I am a bit of a bassaholic (HSU VTF3 MK4 & SVS PB1000 in my 1700³ft theater room), so I'd like to figure out a way to incorporate a sub into the equation.

I would like to put bookshelfs on the fireplace mantle (no worries about the heat fellas ;)), which is on the other side of the wall from my AVR. I'm hoping to put a subwoofer in an opposite corner, thereby negating the option of a passive sub with speaker outs. Does anyone know of a wireless type of hub that will accommodate this setup?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you'd run zone 1 to activate the sub when using zone 2? There are wireless kits you can employ with any sub, or buy a sub with a wireless option (like the RSL Speedwoofer 10S off the top of my head). Not sure why you think a passive sub would have speaker outs, tho....or how you could power a passive sub with a receiver very well....

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
So you'd run zone 1 to activate the sub when using zone 2? There are wireless kits you can employ with any sub, or buy a sub with a wireless option (like the RSL Speedwoofer 10S off the top of my head). Not sure why you think a passive sub would have speaker outs, tho....or how you could power a passive sub with a receiver very well....
Way, way, WAY back in the day I had a passive paradigm sub and a couple of Titan bookshelfs. The Titans were wired into to sub, which had a built in crossover. I'm not picking up on what you're asking in the first sentence, but I envision zone 1 being independent of zone 2 unless I end up playing music in both zones.

My avr (Denon AVR-X2300) can run zone 2 via the rear surround speaker terminals or through the zone 2 preout. My hope would be to minimize the cost by utilizing the speaker terminals. I think it'd be easy to use the preouts, grab an amp, then use a wireless kit with an active sub. I'm just having trouble conceptualizing the most affordable, yet effective way to make it all happen. To be clear though, my plan is to use 2 bookshelfs and an additional sub for the second zone. I have been intrigued by that Speedwoofer for a while!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was just thinking of utilizing a sub pre-out, wasn't thinking about using the pre-out on the avr for zone 2 as well as speaker terminals for zone 2...that could work as pre-outs are generally live at all times, altho still no real bass management that way. Using a sub with a real crossover on speaker level inputs/outputs (i.e. low pass for the sub, high pass for the speakers) might be an idea, too. If you're using the pre-outs with an active sub (wireless transmitter/receiver in between or not) I'm not sure what you need a separate amp for...

That old Paradigm sub/speaker set used what for an amp? Just curious, that's usually HTIB territory.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
The old set up was a Marantz receiver powering a SB-100 sub via speaker wire for left/right channel, with speaker wire coming out for the satellites. Dude, I think this was before HTIB :eek::D:p

I'm currently using both sub outs in my main room for the two subs. Is it possible to use the zone 2 preout wired to a wireless kit for the sub and the speaker terminals for the bookshelfs?

Sorry if my questions seem stupid:rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The old set up was a Marantz receiver powering a SB-100 sub via speaker wire for left/right channel, with speaker wire coming out for the satellites. Dude, I think this was before HTIB :eek::D:p

I'm currently using both sub outs in my main room for the two subs. Is it possible to use the zone 2 preout wired to a wireless kit for the sub and the speaker terminals for the bookshelfs?

Sorry if my questions seem stupid:rolleyes:
Was just curious how that worked with the sub/sat thing...

I believe the speakers powered from the designated zone 2 speaker terminals and their corresponding zone 2 pre-outs would both have signal, but note the pre-outs would be in stereo so no mono signal for the sub (altho may not be a big deal as often the bass is summed mono on the recording anyways).

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Yeah... Got the sub/sat setup on '95

I think I'll look further into using both connections to make is happen... Now to find some decent bookshelfs in white:rolleyes: The old WAF. She's gonna be ticked off that I'm going to buy new gear... Might as well get them to blend in as much as possible

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis