supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I've been playing around comparing the 2-channel mode (which includes the subwoofer) and the "pure direct" mode (which does not include the subwoofer) on my receiver for listening to CDs. I didn't hear a lot of difference. On occasion it seemed that the music was a bit fuller and warmer sounding with the sub than without, but once in a while the sub seemed to take away a bit of clarity from the music.

So when it comes to CD listening, I'm kinda curious what people here prefer: 2.0 or 2.1?

cheers,
supervij

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
I like 2.1 because with my system, my fronts go to 30Hz, whereas with my sub I get down to 23Hz. I just like the sound I get with all 3 on, then just with 2. If it isn't as clear with the sub on, turn it down a bit. It doesn't need to be that loud to get good sound out of it! Unless of course you want to knock things off the walls. :D

~Chuck

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
It's not that it isn't clear all the time; there are occasional moments when I notice a tiny lack of clarity. I'm not a bass-head -- I can't stand it when the bass is overwhelming everything else (YPAO gave me mains +7 dB and sub -8.5 dB, which I increased to -6.5 dB!). But I still prefer 2.1, as those low sounds are a bit more reinforced, and there's a slightly richer feel to the music.

cheers,
supervij

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on your room, and possibly your sub. In my main HT, I listen to music in 2.1, but in my bedroom I didn't like how it sounded with a sub because the room is relatively small, nearly square and no matter where I put the sub (limited number of locations), it sounded boomy. My mains are -3dB at 55Hz, so I can listen to them fed a full range signal, but they really need the support of the sub to have any impact.

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
You can get more problems with standing waves when you use a single subwoofer, rather than just the two main, full-range speakers. This could be why your music sounded clearer in the pure direct mode.

Of course, if you prefer the sound with the subwoofer activated, then by all means use it. My own view is that I doubt that subwoofers are used in the mixing studio in stereo music production, and even if they are, studios would surely use two, not one, for stereo separation. I sometimes wonder if it's worth using only one subwoofer for music, because of all the trouble with standing waves.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I don't really have a problem with lack of clarity. It's just occasional moments when the bass is a bit more noticeable, and it takes attention away from the rest of the sound. I've dialed it back a bit; seems to be fine. I'm just curious what people prefer 2.0 or 2.1, and for what reasons.

I guess I never thought about whether subwoofers are used in the mixing studio. Hmmm . . . seems to make the case for 2.0!

cheers,
supervij

annunaki

annunaki

I am a 2.1 guy. If it is in the original recording, then I want to be able to hear it.

9f9c7z

Banned
2.1, 2.0, depends on the source. Fwiw, I don’t have any problems listening to mono, one spkr + subwfr if needed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis