1st Time Surround Sounder here; What about new Yamaha RX-V559

J

joshosu420

Audiophyte
Hey guys, first time surround sounder here. Really stoked about getting my first surround system. Going economical but I do wanna get the most for my money I can. I bought an Infinity 5 speaker set with 8" sub (TSS-450). Got the speakers for $399. Couldnt really go to the $699 set.

I am now looking to purchase the reciever. In the economical $399 - $499 range there are mostly Sony, Yamaha, and some Denon at my retailer. I have not heard such good things about Sony. I have always heard Yamaha makes quality stuff. For $399 there is a Yamaha RX-V559. Its new out from Yamaha and I believe is the replacement for the RX-V557. It is a 6.1 and I have 5.1 speakers but I may get the rear later.

Any thoughts on this reciever or Yamaha in general? Or anyone other suggestions in this price range?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/PDFs/RX-V559_e_U.pdf

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I have an inexpensive Sony receiver...STR-DE697/$200...and it does a very decent job for the money spent.
You will be well served by the brands you mentioned however I recommend listening to them prior to purchase. Make sure you can return the receiver, reasonable time period of course, if you take it home and do not care for it when connected to your speakers.
There is usually a different "sound" produced by different brands of receivers, same a speakers, depending on their parts, etc. Some are described as "bright", etc. so listening to your speakers using the type(s) of music or video you prefer with the receiver is important...the cost is not important, musically, compared to your attitude regarding the piece.

In my opinion you are overspending for the receiver in the price range you describe compared to what you have spent for the speakers. There will not be a big power difference and the power supplies, etc will generally be similar in the $300 to high $400's. Speakers however can be improved sometimes substantially by spending another hundred or so dollars.

B

brendy

Audioholic
Did you look at the Onkyo 503 ? Will provide overall performance equal to the 559 for about $100 less.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha Receivers

Check out the Yamaha HTR-5860. It is equivalent to the RX-V657 model, one up from the one you listed. You can find it online from authorized dealers for about $300. I bought one from electronics expo and am very happy with the purchased. For $400-500, you can get a refurbished RX-V1500 or 2500 from ubid, but it would be overkill for your satellite speaker system.

kay

kay

Audioholic
When I listened to the older generation Yamaha's, I felt the RX-V350 & 450 were underpowered. The 650 & 750 were more than enough, but I'm not really sure where that leaves the RX-V55x. I has to be a step-up from the entry-level models, but enough? I don't know.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis