18 inch subwoofer enclosure design

M

MikeNeedsMore

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but figured someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a home theater set up in my garage, its basically mix matched components that I sourced from various craigslist and other random purchases. It is all decent gear, nothing to spectacular but sounds good and gets plenty loud for anything above 80hz. My issue is with the low end, I think I am falling victim to the worst acoustic environment you can imagine. Open rafter ceiling, open framing, work benches, walls covered in peg board and loaded with tools and other various obstacles that I'm sure are not helping at all.

Here is what the system consists of:

-Right and left channels are Cerwin Vega XLS-215's powered by an Adcom GFA 555.
-Center channel is a Cerwin Vega xls-215 bi-amped from my Marantz MM7055
-Surround speakers are Klipsch R-15M's
-Subs are 2 18" Dayton Ultimax, each in 4 cubic foot separate sealed enclosures, each powered by a Dayton SA1000 amplifier.

I know I can gain some output on the subs by going with a ported enclosure, not 100% sure if it will be the answer to all of my problems but setting the room up to be sound friendly inst much of an option since I use the room for multiple purposes. I have played with sub placement but most of the positions where it sounds decent, not great, are just not practical.

Is there an enclosure design that comes to mind that might help me overcome the challenges of the room and allow me to hear and feel the sub frequencies? Also, is there a source for getting an actual design that will allow me to start the build process. I can use a program that I used for my car audio builds but that is mainly for a basic vented enclosure. I would have to do some research on tuning frequency and port area etc.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa1000-subwoofer-amplifier-rack-mountable--300-811

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um18-22-18-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-518#!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For those drivers you can check out the Marty Sub builds over at avsforum.com for some proven designs (IIRC the Stonehenge ported box at diysoundgroup.com is also for the UM18?). Or design your own with winisd or similar programs (which one did you use for auto apps?).

Have you tried some eq to bring up the low end? What avr are you using? BTW this belongs more in the DIY subforum....

M

MikeNeedsMore

Audiophyte
For those drivers you can check out the Marty Sub builds over at avsforum.com for some proven designs (IIRC the Stonehenge ported box at diysoundgroup.com is also for the UM18?). Or design your own with winisd or similar programs (which one did you use for auto apps?).

Have you tried some eq to bring up the low end? What avr are you using? BTW this belongs more in the DIY subforum....
Sorry, just saw the DIY section right before I read your response. I was checking out the Marty Sub, I think that might be a good place to start.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, just saw the DIY section right before I read your response. I was checking out the Marty Sub, I think that might be a good place to start.
What eq have you tried with the avr/amp you have now?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't played with eq very much. I'm running a Pioneer Elite SC95.
MCACC probably won't do a lot for the lowest frequencies, but you might try using the parametric eq in your sub amps before building new boxes (and then re-run MCACC)....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis