15" Marantz Model SP1500 re-foam question

T

trusso1989

Audiophyte
Im going to start by saying i do not have much audio knowledge along with the terms so please bear with me. I recently bought a pair of 15" Marantz speakers. Model # is SP1500. The foam on them is shot and i am looking to replace. All the videos i saw online have the new foam attach to the top of the cone. When i took mine out i saw the foam attaches under the cone and was curious what the best way to replace those is. Also the old foam under the cone is in an extremely hard to reach place and i wanted to know whats the best way to remove all of the old foam and glue without damaging the cone. i appreciate any help anyone can provide and if more info is needed please ask. Thank you in advance.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I’ve done a number of re-surrounds over the years, and IIR one of them was like you’re describing. I don’t recall if I took the trouble to do the underside thing, but frankly I don’t see why it would matter either way. In fact, here’s a recent e-bay auction a pair of those speakers with new surrounds, and you can tell from the pictures that the surround was installed on top.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151937008653

So, go ahead and put it on top. You won’t have to worry about any old residual foam that way, but for future reference the way I always removed the old foam was to scrape it off with a single-edge razor blade.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis