H

Hatteras

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm building an new Home Theater and have $15,000 to spend. About $7,000 is going to a HD Plasma.   I have to use bookshelves for the mains for wife appeal. I've been looking at Adcom and Rotel AMP PreAmp. I definaly want seperates. Music comes first, theater second. Thanks!</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Hatteras;

We are working on more system recommendations.  However, here is our latest $5K recommendation that includes an HDTV.

Audioholics $5K Recommended System

Obviously your budget is more extravagant so I would recommend the following possible uprgrades based on our personal experiences.

Receiver: Denon AVR-5803 or Harman Kardon AVR-7200
Speakers: Axiom Epic 80
DVD Player: Denon DVD-2900

Don't discount flagship receivers over entry level separates. &nbsp;In many cases the former can be better in performance and flexibility. &nbsp;

If you still want a hulking amp, try a Yamaha RXV-1400 as a pre/pro and a nice amp from Rotel, ATI, NAD, Parasound, etc.

However, for cheap Pre/Pros, the Sherbourn, or less expensive Outlaw clone is pretty good, though lacking in a few areas (read our review).

Alternatively you can try speakers from:
Energy
PSB
Canton
RBH Sound
Von Schweikert
Snell
Paradigm
(to name a few)

I would personally put most of your budget into the Speakers, followed by the Receiver or Pre/Pro/Amp and DVD player.  
Hope this helps.

Also check out our equipment reviews:
Staff Product Reviews

[edited: added link to reviews]</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis