M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
After readin some threads I think I want to get the 12GA speaker wire that is good enough to wire in-wall in case I want to go that route. Can some please give me a link or recommend one. I saw a bunch of links where people point to different models its a little confusing. So if someone can help me out here that would be awesome.

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
I like the Liberty UltraCap 12ga personally its not too expensive and got that THX logo for bragging rights ;)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The Belden Cable is CL3 rated. If you're running in-wall, you might opt for the more flexible 5000UP from Westlake. It has 65 strands as opposed to the 19 in the 5000UE. I have the 5000UE and it is kinda stiff, but since I'm not running it in-wall, it works fine. You might also want to check out your local Home Depot for deals on Carol Cable (similar to Belden).

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
thanks guys. So the 5000UP is fine for in wall and is also flexible correct?

*EDIT*
WOW It seems like it is on BACKORDER!!! Aghhh what should I do? Any1 have a clue how often the replenish their stock? OR should I just go for 14gauge? I need about 50' per wire.

Also the 5000UP doesnt seem to say that its 12gauge anywhere. Is it in fact 12 gauge? And also what does non-paired mean? Do I even need a
paired cable?

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, that's the stuff. It does indicate its size. The "2 #12" means it has 2 12ga conductors. 14ga should also work just fine.

You say you only need 50 feet. How did you arrive at this number? Unless you're doing one, or at the most 2 speakers, 50 feet is not going to be enough. I've gone through almost 150 feet in my 11x14 room with a 5.1 configuration with out of wall wiring.

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
lol sorry. I mean 50' per speaker. so time 5=150'. I gifured extra 50'... So for a 50' run 14 guage should be fine? How are the part numbers listed on this site it seems very difficult to find anything.

What do you suggest should I got with the 12ga UE or a flexible 14GA(would that also be UP?)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Just did a price Check, and the in-wall Carol Cable is basically 5000UE, which means it's not as flexible. Also, the price is higher than Westlake (before shipping). But, it IS in stock.

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
just checked Carol is more expensive right now.

So should I go with 5000UE 12GA
or 5100UP 14GA?

Also why is there a third wire on the 5100UP? I only see two wire on the 12GA UP one. What is the purpose of this 3rd wire on the 14GA?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
maxse said:
just checked Carol is more expensive right now.

So should I go with 5000UE 12GA
or 5100UP 14GA?

Also why is there a third wire on the 5100UP? I only see two wire on the 12GA UP one. What is the purpose of this 3rd wire on the 14GA?
The choice is yours. BMXTRIX usually wires houses with 14ga all over. Besides, your house's electrical systems are mostly 14ga wire.

The "third wire" is the rip cord, which makes it easier to strip back the jacket on the cable.

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
Awesome. So 14GA it is. NOw when I do a search for 5100UP I get 8 different listings! Damn this site is confusing. Which one do I need to get? They vary slightly in model numbers and I have no idea the difference.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you want to be patient, then you can wait till tomorrow and call up Westlake and talk to them about the cable. A second opinion is always valuable.

Besides, it's best to sleep on decisions like this. You shouldn't rush into your HT, it will only cost you more money in the long run. I did research for months before I started making purchases, and I was rewarded with a system I'm very happy with. Taking the extra time will ensure you accomplish what you want to, and at a cost you can afford.

Edit: The listings are different stock areas for Westlake. It's just spool size and such. This is the only one in stock at the moment:

http://www.westlake-electronic.com/cgi-bin/store.php?search=yes&detail=yes&and=0&SUBCAT=all&keywords=5100up&item_no=BEL-13297&category=CAB&redir=1

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
thanks Jax. I did research for a while. I Already have everything picked except the projectos (Z4/A900) Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. You guys really saved me a ton of $$ not even counting all the info that I got from you.

Z

zoysia

Audioholic Intern
I ordered the more flexible 10 awg yesterday because the 12 awg was out of stock. It shipped the same day by ups. It wasn't that much more for the larger wire.

Randy

M

mbaylor

Junior Audioholic
maxse, I hope you rechecked your math before you ordered.

"I mean 50' per speaker. so time 5=150'." <=from a previous post.

50' x 5 = 250'

Just thought I'd give you the heads up so you would not be sorely disappointed when you were short 100'.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Good catch, I should've seen that. Max, if you did accidentally order too little, call up Westlake and see if they can add it to your order. They're good people over there, and you should be able to get what you want.

To Zoysia,

Since he's going to be pulling this stuff through walls (and not paying a contractor to do it), the 10ga will be a bigger hassle due to its size and reduced flexibility. Seeing how 14ga is good for any "normal" run, he should go the route of least hassle. This is why I recommended the lower guage.

Z

zoysia

Audioholic Intern
I have not seen how flexible mine is yet, all I have to do is run it under my house and under deck to zone 2 speakers.

Randy

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
the 50' is an over-estimate for the front 3 speakers. Sorry I Wasnt clear. I overestimated by about 10'. The rear ones are 25'. So it should be perfect with a bunch of slack cable. Thanks though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis