M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
My parents will be getting a new Tv. It will be their first flat panel and they are not very technical at all. They are getting a 55 inch Samsung led. They have their mind on the 240hz. Is their that big of a differ btween 120 and 240hz?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Or maybe they should get a plasma with a 600mhz refresh rate?

People jump on the advertising Best Buy bandwagon without any real research or clue as to what they are getting into. From a technical perspective, LED backlit LCD displays are the best LCD displays on the market out there. But, they aren't as good as plasma displays. So, the Samsung PN7000+ series of plasma displays will produce a better overall image with a couple of warning points.

The Samsung 55" LCDs still are what I usually go with when I get a LCD display. The 6400 series or better all look very good.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I'm aware of the 600hz w plasma but I steered them in the direction of Samsung LEDS because their room gets very sunny with the 3 big Windows that are all lined up together.

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
My plasma looks great in my living room with 3 big side by side windows. Course, the plasma is sitting in front of them. Also, curtains & blinds go a long way. ; )

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You will still have issues as the Samsung LCD displays all have a glossy front to them. You will get the same glare. It is the Sharp LCDs which do not have the glossy front and should be the first I would consider if reflections are a significant issue. If reflections aren't a significant issue, and it's just the light in the room, then I can say that my family room doesn't seem to suffer much for having a plasma and lots of windows.

J

jaymz

Enthusiast
I just bought an LG 55LW5600 and I love it. Matt screen and very highly rated. It's 120Hz, but same TV in 240 Hz if the LW6500 series. Not worth the price difference, however, as they won't be able to tell the difference.

Jim

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
My parents will be getting a new Tv. It will be their first flat panel and they are not very technical at all. They are getting a 55 inch Samsung led. They have their mind on the 240hz. Is their that big of a differ btween 120 and 240hz?
Don't get hung up on 120 vs. 240. They're both going to give you that wierd "soap opera" look to anything you watch. Just get whatever one is cheaper.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't get hung up on 120 vs. 240. They're both going to give you that wierd "soap opera" look to anything you watch. Just get whatever one is cheaper.
Not true. That depends if you engage the noise reduction/smoothing facilities. I don't use them and have had no soap opera's appearing on my screen. ;)

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
It's a subjective issue. My brother loves LCD's since they don't heat up as much as Plasmas. He went with 240. I like Plasmas because of the motion and they are at 600. It is my preference as I don't care for the motion / picture quality of most LCD's. Again my preference.

Have you personally gone looking at a store to see if you can identify a difference?

Now for my parents, we got a great deal on a 42" LG LCD at 120 hz. They can't tell the difference and we didn't expect them to. So ultimately, are they able to see a difference? If yes, then go 240 or Plasma. If not, then you can get away with 120.

My opinion.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Not true. That depends if you engage the noise reduction/smoothing facilities. I don't use them and have had no soap opera's appearing on my screen. ;)
Guess I should have been more clear. If you USE whatever motion smoothing technology they employ you'll get the soap opera look. If you leave the feature turned off then it's a moot point. Since the OP was specifically asking about 120 vs 240 I assumed he would be using the feature.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's not really a moot point. The TV still operates at 120hz or 240hz regardless of whether or not creative frame interpolation is used. CIF is a feature that is separate from the refresh rate of the display. The use of CIF creates a lousy look to most experienced viewers, but 240hz displays should be able to help with motion blur due to the faster response time of the LCD crystals and electronics in use.

I am a huge advocate AGAINST LG. Their TVs look good, right up until they die within the first few years of use. I have never seen ANY TV with a higher failure rate then LG. So, if you are lucky enough to have one last, that's great. But, with twice the failure rate then the industry, I avoid their displays because saving $100 will cost you $1,000 with them.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Even at a 120Hz, I don't see any motion blur. I'm a big hockey fan and that's one o the quickest sports out there..no motion blur what so ever.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis