'12 Fusion SEL 3.0L

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So I gots me one. 160k miles. Previous owner was a neat freak and and a bass head.

I was out in the parking lot messing with the audio when a guy driving by complimented the undistorted thump. I asked where he was when he heard it, thinking he was in the parking lot. He said he was on the third floor. Great, now everybody knows. I moved the car to the other side of the building where they don't know I'm an @sshole.

Money For Nothing, it turns out, can make the back of your head feel like a phone set to vibrate.

I'm in the process of unbridging the amps. The feed for the 4 door speakers was split from the rear speaker feed but the right rear fed the front left and the left rear fed the right front. I spent a couple of days trying to balance and fade that before looking at the wiring. Good times. It actually took me a long time (over a day) to even understand what had been done with the wiring. I had confused right and left for pos and neg in my analysis which left me thinking 'car fire'.

Uhmmm ... then I duct taped the air box where some previous wiring melted a 3/4" diameter hole ... maybe a little bigger: oblong so it's hard to say. Not that big.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Still no pic's.

There are two PRV 69MR500 PHP-4 6"x9" midrange speakers in the rear dash. The FR graph and T/S Parameters are there ... for TLS. :) They are being run from the rear RCA's from the head unit. The front RCA's are piped to the 4 doors.

My head unit lets me set a 250 Hz HP filter w/ a 24db/oct slope on the rear speakers. I need a passive LP filter design, somewhere around 3.5K Hz and maybe a 2nd order slope before what I imagine to be cone break up.

1636021592987.png

It starts climbing ~ 200 Hz and the highest peak is ~ 4.5K Hz.

+/- 5db from 400 Hz to ~ 4K Hz.

Plus I wonder if these speakers would benefit from an enclosure. With the back seat up, they're in the same trunk space as the dual 10" subs. Being in the rear dash messes up the sound stage/imaging BUT they sound great with vocals. I've tried relying mostly on the front door speakers, less on the rear door speakers and even less on these rear dash speakers.

An enclosure size and a HP filter design ... that's all I'm asking. :rolleyes:

BTW, from outside the car ... and for at least a block away, this thing cranks.

Pic's today and I'm not BS'ing you this time.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I miss car audio days. Fun to tinker, and annoy the hell out of people!

That said, seeing the graph with x,y plots listed tells me this speaker is is far from neutral. In fact, accurate reproduction may be impossible....

LOL just crank it up and don't burn to a crisp, please!

Minidsp would probably be the easiest for adding a filter.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Ooof, that frequency response is, umm, rough.... I'd honestly just take them out and only run the fronts. I never liked having rear speakers in most of my car systems.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
So I gots me one. 160k miles. Previous owner was a neat freak and and a bass head.

I was out in the parking lot messing with the audio when a guy driving by complimented the undistorted thump. I asked where he was when he heard it, thinking he was in the parking lot. He said he was on the third floor. Great, now everybody knows. I moved the car to the other side of the building where they don't know I'm an @sshole.

Money For Nothing, it turns out, can make the back of your head feel like a phone set to vibrate.

I'm in the process of unbridging the amps. The feed for the 4 door speakers was split from the rear speaker feed but the right rear fed the front left and the left rear fed the right front. I spent a couple of days trying to balance and fade that before looking at the wiring. Good times. It actually took me a long time (over a day) to even understand what had been done with the wiring. I had confused right and left for pos and neg in my analysis which left me thinking 'car fire'.

Uhmmm ... then I duct taped the air box where some previous wiring melted a 3/4" diameter hole ... maybe a little bigger: oblong so it's hard to say. Not that big.
Why?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis