11 year old PSBs mint?

B

Bailey69

Audioholic Intern
I'm buying a used set of PSB 7pt 9c center and two 10s surrounds.

I have heard that the 7pt require lots of power. Will my new Yamaha RX-A870 be enough power to drive them?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The limitations of an avr's amp are usually in terms of driving low impedance loads to high levels. Are the PSB 7PT 4 ohm nominal loads? 6? 8? Did you find a frequency vs impedance graph to see where the impedance requirements really are? What approximate sensitivity are the speakers? How loud and and what distance were the voices saying the speakers required lots of power?

Your A870 can power them fine, it's how loud and at what distance that counts. Try using this spl calculator to get an idea how it works.

B

Bailey69

Audioholic Intern
The limitations of an avr's amp are usually in terms of driving low impedance loads to high levels. Are the PSB 7PT 4 ohm nominal loads? 6? 8? Did you find a frequency vs impedance graph to see where the impedance requirements really are? What approximate sensitivity are the speakers? How loud and and what distance were the voices saying the speakers required lots of power?

Your A870 can power them fine, it's how loud and at what distance that counts. Try using this spl calculator to get an idea how it works.
Thanks I'll check this out.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I would try it out and see how it performs at your usual sound levels. Then, if there is an issue, may need an external amp. The sensitivity is not too bad at all at 91 dB.
That 2.7 Ohm min is at one frequency, it seems so performance depends on how much signal is at that frequency and at what level.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Like Loveinthehd says, it depends on how big the room is, how far you are sitting from the speakers, and how loud you want the system to play. That low impedance dip occurs at the lower midrange which you will encounter a lot of the time. The phase angle in general seems to be low so you may be lucky. Whatever you do, leave the AVR at its 8 ohm impedance selection and don't alter it to 6 or 4 ohm setting.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The 7 PT have their two bottom woofers powered by an internal 130 Watt amp. Integrating these with a powered sub should proove interesting.

B

Bailey69

Audioholic Intern
Like Loveinthehd says, it depends on how big the room is, how far you are sitting from the speakers, and how loud you want the system to play. That low impOk, , ance dip occurs at the lower midrange which you will encounter a lot of the time. The phase angle in general seems to be low so you may be lucky. Whatever you do, leave the AVR at its 8 ohm impedance selection and don't alter it to 6 or 4 ohm setting.
Ok, so I got them. I've had all weekend to try them out.....I'm a little disappointed in the towers. The center channel and the surrounds (s10 x2) are awesome!

Positives,

-they are very clean/clear sounding
-nice looking

Negatives

-the towers soundstage is very narrow, they are quite compared to all the other speakers. They have noticably weak midrange.

Comparing the towers to the brand new pair of xb speakers is night and day. The new xb's are awesome! The xb have a nice open sound stage and CLEAN beautiful clear natual sound!

I'm thinking of using the xb's as my main fronts, they just sound so good with the sub.

Maybe I could replace the tweeter and the midrange driver with psb's modern drivers?

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, so I got them. I've had all weekend to try them out.....I'm a little disappointed in the towers. The center channel and the surrounds (s10 x2) are awesome!

Positives,

-they are very clean/clear sounding
-nice looking

Negatives

-the towers soundstage is very narrow, they are quite compared to all the other speakers. They have noticably weak midrange.

Comparing the towers to the brand new pair of xb speakers is night and day. The new xb's are awesome! The xb have a nice open sound stage and CLEAN beautiful clear natual sound!

I'm thinking of using the xb's as my main fronts, they just sound so good with the sub.

Maybe I could replace the tweeter and the midrange driver with psb's modern drivers?
They could sound thin like you say but I have to ask about level matching and placement.

B

Bailey69

Audioholic Intern
20180220_193453.jpg
They could sound thin like you say but I have to ask about level matching and placement.
Totally, I'm messing around with a better placement. They sound fantastic! I listened to the bookshelves xb for about two days and tonight switched back to the towers placing them closer together and they sound fuller and warmer than the xb's for sure. I was confusing the fuller warmer sound of the towers. The xb's are very clean but they lack the full "warm brown?" Sound of the towers. I love every one of these PSB's. I just have to pace them right.

My basement/mancave.

Last edited:
B

Bailey69

Audioholic Intern
I'm going to be needing two speaker wall mounts that can hold the 13 lb psb book shelf speakers.

Can anyone suggest quality mounts? I live in Toronto, Canada and have looked at several stores (best buy, home depot, ect). Can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'd also like mounts that do not require me to put holes of any kind into the speakers. Is this possible?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm going to be needing two speaker wall mounts that can hold the 13 lb psb book shelf speakers.

Can anyone suggest quality mounts? I live in Toronto, Canada and have looked at several stores (best buy, home depot, ect). Can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'd also like mounts that do not require me to put holes of any kind into the speakers. Is this possible?
B-Tech speaker mounts
https://www.amazon.ca/B-Tech-BT77-Ultragrip-Speaker-Swivel/dp/B004DCAOHK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519259051&sr=1-2&keywords=speaker+mounts

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
+1 on the BTechs . If you look at my photo gallery, you will see that I'm using BTECHS to support PSB Image 1Bs

B

Bailey69

Audioholic Intern
Recieved mounts. They are great! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
IMG_20180301_135925_820.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis