11.2 with 3 zones possible?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Both of the receivers mentioned techincally have enough amps to bi-amp fronts and play stereo signals in three zones. But, speaker terminals take up lots of real estate and they weren’t thinking about those wanting to bi-amp fronts and be able to connect all of the other speakers to terminals as well and just switch to them as needed.

If streaming music to all zones, a new 13 amp receiver and two Wiim amps for Zones 2 and 3 will work if using Chromecast or Airplay to stream music from a Smart device as long as all are on the same network. Alternately, the Zone 2 and 3 pre outs could be connected to a pair of Wiim amps to get music from a device connected to the receiver. The receiver will need to process and power thirteen channels for a 7.1.4 speaker configuration in the Main Zone when bi-amping the fronts.

For a more complex whole home system, check in with @BMXTRIX.

L

lukecho

Audioholic Intern
I think I'm better off just buying a small stereo receiver for outside and having maybe a zone 2 upstairs and let's say 7.1.4 bi amped. Well see what ends up happening, might even be ok with 7.1.2

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think I'm better off just buying a small stereo receiver for outside and having maybe a zone 2 upstairs and let's say 7.1.4 bi amped. Well see what ends up happening, might even be ok with 7.1.2
Be aware that if you have a 3 zone AV receiver, you can typically just get an external amplifier to run zones 2 and 3 independently and have their own dedicated amplifiers for them all the time, while still using the internal amps for the speakers in the surround room.

This is part of how the amp channels are assigned in the system. It makes it nice as we are losing analog audio connections on so many sources so you can get audio to those other areas more easily without fighting with audio extractors or looking for legacy stuff or buying two or three of everything to make things work.

So, get whatever AVR is 3 zones and handles all the amplification you need for your surround space, then hook zone 2 and 3 up to their own amps and call it done.

L

lukecho

Audioholic Intern
Be aware that if you have a 3 zone AV receiver, you can typically just get an external amplifier to run zones 2 and 3 independently and have their own dedicated amplifiers for them all the time, while still using the internal amps for the speakers in the surround room.

This is part of how the amp channels are assigned in the system. It makes it nice as we are losing analog audio connections on so many sources so you can get audio to those other areas more easily without fighting with audio extractors or looking for legacy stuff or buying two or three of everything to make things work.

So, get whatever AVR is 3 zones and handles all the amplification you need for your surround space, then hook zone 2 and 3 up to their own amps and call it done.
That sounds perfect, are these amps called zone amps? Any way you can point me in some direction as to where to buy?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nothing special about an external amp. Even another receiver will work, but the Main Zone receiver will need to be set accordingly. For external amps, the Zone 2 and 3 volume controls will need to be set to “Variable” and when connected to another receiver, will need to be set to “Fixed.”

Just be aware that when using Zone 2 and/or Zone 3, there are limits specific to every receiver concerning the types of signals that can be sent to them. When playing the same “Source” in all zones, things are fine. Things get trickier when using different sources in different zones. Even a beast such as the Denon A1H has a few limits.

IMG_4470.jpeg

IMG_4471.jpeg

WiFi Network connectable powered speakers and streaming devices equipped with amps such as the Wiim amp or Bluesound Power node make multiple zones easier to use when casting from a Smart device or PC/Mac. They don’t have to be wired to the Main Zone receiver. If using Airplay 2, the streaming source device can power on each system and control each of their volume levels. Results will very depending on network infrastructure of course.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That sounds perfect, are these amps called zone amps? Any way you can point me in some direction as to where to buy?
There are tons of amplifiers on the market designed for standard 2 channel amplification. I would stick with a standard amplifier though, not another complex product. Just a super simple quality amplifier that meets the power requirements for your speakers, needs and expectations.

I have used amps from Extron (pro models - used eBay, cheap and work well), Rotel multi-channel amps, and Sonance amps. The sonance 260, 275, or 2120 amplifiers are really designed for this type of standard 2 channel amplification and can be found new/used easily.

I can't speak to the actual quality of other models, but there are TONS of 2 channel home audio amplifiers out there. Some are quite 'audiophile' grade, others can be extremely cheap and of poor quality. I like picking up good (or better) models on eBay for less money.

These are the amps I used in my home...

Be aware of models like the Sonance 260x3. It is a 6 channel amplifier, but doesn't give individual inputs to drive them separately, but here is some stuff...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=russound+amplifier&_sacat=0&LH_Auction=1&_odkw=speakercraft+amplifier&_osacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=niles+amplifier&_sacat=0&LH_Auction=1&_odkw=russound+amplifier&_osacat=0

The Niles 275 in the link above is a solid product that may be a really good deal.

A model like this is something I might use, but I would also build a RCA unbalanced to phoenix block balanced connector which is something I'm familar with and I own a ton of Phoenix blocks already.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/386689519124

It's nice because it is under 2" tall and standard 19" wide. Also nice that it can be rack mounted (ears are removable). It has the 4 channels of amplification that you need.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis