11.2 with 3 zones possible?

L

lukecho

Audioholic Intern
Hello again I'm just wondering how would I go about doing this. I would like to have 7 speakers with 4 over head speakers and 2 subs. I want the front two speakers to be bi amped so I would need to buy a 11.2 receiver.

I would also like to have 3 zones, is this possible with 1 receiver.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There is no compelling reason to bi-amp speakers. If you want to do so, I cannot think of a current AVR equipped to power 7.1.4 speakers in the Main Zone while bi-amping the fronts and also have terminals available to power Zones 2 and 3. The Denon A1H can do it without bi-amping the fronts. But, you will lose Zone 3 when bi-amping the fronts. There will be limits to supported source signals when using Zones 2 and 3 separately from the source in the Main Zone.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 11.24.22 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 11.24.40 AM.png

L

lukecho

Audioholic Intern
I know alot of people say bi amping is pointless but I bi amped my polks rti a7s and it sounded much much better. The bass and overal sound was improved.

Does a piece of equiptment exist that let's you plug in let's say zone 2 into it and split it off into many rooms.

Would it be possible to bi amp and have 7.2.2 with 3 zones?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What exactly are you using now and will you want the same music in all of the zones at the same time or do you want to use a different source in each room?

L

lukecho

Audioholic Intern
I have a onkyo rz810 and I wouldn't use any of the zones at the same time, I would only use 1 zone at a time. Seems like all the receivers use a zone speaker for bi amping. Sucks for me but I'll probably have to buy another stereo for the outside speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd seriously revisit the change you think you heard with the passive bi-amping thing. At best it's a very slight difference...

L

lukecho

Audioholic Intern
I think it improved my bass drastically, I'm guessing you have tried it? And you honestly didn't think it made any difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think it improved my bass drastically, I'm guessing you have tried it? And you honestly didn't think it made any difference.
Yep and yep. Not much it has in the possibilities of improvement when you leave the stock crossover in the speaker and using the same power supply in the avr....active bi-amping has value, tho.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have a onkyo rz810 and I wouldn't use any of the zones at the same time, I would only use 1 zone at a time. Seems like all the receivers use a zone speaker for bi amping. Sucks for me but I'll probably have to buy another stereo for the outside speakers.
Are you planning on just music to Zone 2 and possibly Zone 3? You can just use the RZ810 for Zone 2 and Zone 3 and have a new unit pull 7.1.4 duty in the Main Zone. You could connect both to your network and each could stream music to multiple zones.

L

lukecho

Audioholic Intern
Are you planning on just music to Zone 2 and possibly Zone 3? You can just use the RZ810 for Zone 2 and Zone 3 and have a new unit pull 7.1.4 duty in the Main Zone. You could connect both to your network and each could stream music to multiple zones.
I would like to have an all in one that kinda does everything. Even if I have to go to 7.2.2 that would be ok, just seems like all the receivers take up a zone to bi amp no matter the amount of speakers they're able to process.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If my choice was 7.x.4, or 7.x.2 plus biamp, then 7.x.4 wins every time.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Bi-amping the fronts means having 13 amps available for a 7.1.4 configuration. As @William Lemmerhirt mentioned, using 7 ear level speakers really requires at least 4 height speakers. The surround back speakers will be the most expendable in an atmos setup and 5.1.4 would be more desirable than 7.1.2.

I just don’t see bi-amping as necessary at all especially when using two subwoofers. I’m curious about the crossover and subwoofer settings with Onkyo. Again, wanting 7.1.4 while bi-amping the fronts requires 13 amps. Add Zone 2 and Zone 3 and 17 amps are required to power it all. It’s a tall order.

Some newer Denon/Marantz models featuring 2CH Playback settings AND Directional Subwoofer settings may eliminate the need some may feel they have for bi-amping front speakers. The fronts can be run as Large using the LFE+Main subwoofer setting for 2ch signals in Direct or Stereo mode after being set as Small in the initial setup using crossovers for multichannel signals using surround sound modes.

If budget permits, the Denon A1H really is the only all in one box solution for powering a 7.1.4 Main Zone and also Zone 2 and Zone 3. I wouldn’t give up Zone 3 to bi-amp the fronts. There shouldn’t be any bass issues crossing the fronts at 80Hz and using two subs and not bi-amping. There also shouldn’t be an issue using fronts as Large with LFE+Main for 2ch signals in Direct or Stereo mode without bi-amping and using 2 subs. Using 4 subs will get the most out of the Directional Subwoofer settings when playing multichannel signals.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I am running 5.1.4 with my FR/FL bi-amped on the Integra DRX-8.4. There's no benefit to bi-amping them, I just had an extra set of amps left over since I am not running 7.1.4 or 5.1.6. I don't use multiple zones, but it is possible to run 7.x.4 with Zone 2 & 3. See page 60 here:

No bi-amping with that configuration, but passive bi-amping is pointless anyway:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The DRX-8.4 has eleven amps. Running Zones 2 and 3 knocks the Main Zone down from 7.1.4 to 5.1.2. The Denon A1H has 15 amps and can run the Main Zone at 7.1.4 when running Zones 2 and 3. This is the case when neither receiver is bi-amping the front channels.
IMG_4469.jpeg

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
The DRX-8.4 has eleven amps. Running Zones 2 and 3 knocks the Main Zone down from 7.1.4 to 5.1.2. The Denon A1H has 15 amps and can run the Main Zone at 7.1.4 when running Zones 2 and 3. This is the case when neither receiver is bi-amping the front channels.
View attachment 65447
Ah yes, my assumption was that zones would not be run concurrently...

L

lukecho

Audioholic Intern
Ya it does seem like the A1H is the only option for 7.1.4 and 3 zones. I know everyone hates bi amping but I'm telling you guys it really opens up my speakers.

I would have to buy another stereo receiver for outside or upstairs to achieve what I want to do.

I hate how I lose a zone for bi amping. I'm a pretty big 2 channel audio guy but do like atmos movies from time to time.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Ya it does seem like the A1H is the only option for 7.1.4 and 3 zones. I know everyone hates bi amping but I'm telling you guys it really opens up my speakers.

I would have to buy another stereo receiver for outside or upstairs to achieve what I want to do.

I hate how I lose a zone for bi amping. I'm a pretty big 2 channel audio guy but do like atmos movies from time to time.
I guess it depends on your use-case for the other zones. I use Bluesound Powernodes for my other zones, one in my office and another for driving a set of KEF Ventura 6 speakers out by the pool. The nice thing about that setup is they are all Roon endpoints that I can stream to independently.

L

lukecho

Audioholic Intern
I need to figure out some kind of whole home audio central receiver point thing. I have two paradigms upstairs and 2 bose on the deck that I just want to play music from, nothing crazy.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I need to figure out some kind of whole home audio central receiver point thing. I have two paradigms upstairs and 2 bose on the deck that I just want to play music from, nothing crazy.
Roon is the best-in-class solution, though it is a relatively involved setup. Though it's not announced yet, it looks like Denon/Marantz devices are on the verge of being Roon Ready certified. They already support it as of the latest firmware, just waiting for certification, which I imagine is probably 2-3 months away tops.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, you do need a new avr to do what you want....so deciding on avr first might be the way to go. Then work on what, if any, any external amps to help achieve your desired setup. If using only one zone at a time you could conceivably change amp assignment as a way to keep things to a minimum....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis