Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
with 4:3 movies your losing part of the shot, watching 4:3 bothers me now after having a widescreen for so long. Even when I'm somewhere else and rent a movie, I always make sure I rent a widescreen format, I'd rather have the black bars top and bottom and see the full shots they way it was intended than watch a pan and scan 4:3 movie. I do agree on the tv shows dvd's 4:3 is fine for those b/c they were orignally shot that way, though nowdays the more popular shows are being broadcasted in HDTV so they are filmed in widescreen. Take my favorite tv show, Smallville. When it first came out it was shot in 4:3 so when I bought the DVD's for the show they were the same 4:3, now that it became more popular its being shot in widescreen and broadcast in HDTV, so when the new season comes out on dvd it will 16:9. No I dont think 4:3 is going to be obsolete, but with the trend of more things being shot and broadcast in widescreen, I think its more practical and better planning to go with a widescreen so your ready when almost everything will be in a widescreen format

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
When I say obsolete it would be more accurate to compare it to records and cassette tapes. Are there no more records? Are there no more cassettes? Of course there are, but CD (and MP3) now really seem to dominate the market. 16:9, even if it isn't HD, I can see dominating the market in about 10 years. All new formats seem to be pretty much exclusively 16:9.

T

tdeluce

Audioholic
BMXTRIX said:
Unless I was getting a solid 1080p projector like the Qualia, I wouldn't worry much about 1080p right now. If it is important, then I would wait 1-2 years for more technology to come out and prices to drop. I expect them well under $10K in 2 years.
Sony is planning to release a 1080p SXRD front projector
in the $10,000 range by year end...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis