L

lario

Junior Audioholic
I didn't get a response from this earlier post so I figured I post here for some feedback. I don't know if my question/concern doesn't make sense or just a ridiculous question but it is as follows: I'm looking at purchasing my first BD player however it's not so much what player to purchase (going with PS3 ) but rather the overall picture quality I may be getting with my current set up. I employ the following: Sony Wega 50" LCD - 1080i only and Yamaha RX-V661. Is the addition of a 1080p product such as the PS3 a waste of money and time? I understand the PQ will still be sweet but is my TV holding me back here? I'm happy with my receiver but is the up-conversion a factor here? I hope the info is sufficient. Gracias

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Imho

I too am restricted bu 1080i ( at least right now) I have a 37" LCD Visio and also a 55" Mitshubishi WS 55859 both of which are limited to 1080i. I have connected the Panasonic DMP-BD30 and PS3(80gig) to both and the PQ is excellent. 1080p maybe better but 1080i looks very,very good.

Good Luck!

MidCow2

P.S.- the PS3 has good PQ when connected via HDMI or component. I think the setup is better through HDMI (currently connected component to WS 55859 which was pre-HDMI).

That Wega cannot really be 1080i since the only 1080i displays are CRT-based... Perhaps it's 720p?

In either case it's not a waste to get Blu-ray for a 50-inch TV. It should look great, especially if you sit closer than 16 feet away.

L

lario

Junior Audioholic
1080i

Thanks for the feedback gentleman. Clint - I have the Sony Wega KF-50WE620 and as far as I know it does support 1080i or 720p format. Are you aware of something I don't know perhaps? Again, thanks for the help.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the feedback gentleman. Clint - I have the Sony Wega KF-50WE620 and as far as I know it does support 1080i or 720p format. Are you aware of something I don't know perhaps? Again, thanks for the help.
I think what they are also getting at is that there is a difference between your native display rez and rez's that are supported. For instance, I think there were some tv's that were naturally 1080p, but could not accept 1080p!! :eek: Only 1080i max for instance.

Hitachi made some plasma that are natively 1080i, I believe.

In any case, whatever your native rez is, if your TV supports 1080i or 720p, you will benefit. Just select the appropriate output in the player. Choose whatever is closest to native display rez, which Clint might presume could very well be 720p.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Sony 34" CRT and it works great with the PS3 in either 720p or 1080i. Most HDMI capable sources (at least those that I have tried so far) are capable of detecting what your max resolution is and setting itself accordingly

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If I'm not mistaken that TV is an LCD rear projection and its native resolution is 1366 x 768. It will convert any resolution it is capable of accepting to 1366 x 768 (all fixed pixel displays can only show an image at their native resolution).

So sending a 1080i image from a BluRay player would not be a waste because you are sending it a HD image that it is capable of displaying after down-scaling it to 1366 x 768.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Both my 42" Panny plasma and Optoma HD70 are 720p native and look spectacular with Blu-ray. I have my BD35k set to 1080p and the displays scale them to their resolution with no issues. At 50" you are about at the limit where 720p and 1080p show their differences - depending upon your viewing distance. I sit 8ft away and 1080p currently is not worth the pricing difference IMHO. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis