$100k Bookshelf Speaker or a New Mercedes?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I think it´s cool ...... I am planning to visit Michel Børresen and Lars Kristensen this summer at the factory :cool:
And my wife is even more eager than me to meet-up there and listen to music!

Hmmm. each piston on an F1 engine cost $65.000 ... I never hear anyone calling these guys doing snake oil!
That's awesome! Would love to hear their line some day. I am also infatuated with Aavik, and would like to demo as well. Make sure and fill out a field report when you get back!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
That's awesome! Would love to hear their line some day. I am also infatuated with Aavik, and would like to demo as well. Make sure and fill out a field report when you get back!
If we really listen to what Michael Børresen say, everything he does has an engineering reasoning. Most of this stuff is insanely expensive, but they sit down and listen to understand what works best and Michal is an Engineer at heart.

I talked to Michael on the phone for a very long time. First of all he is an insanely nice guy. I respect him, because everything he does is done with an engineering point of view and he is very open minded and listen to other people´s opinion, he also asked my opinion on things....

I would go for the speakers over a new BMW iX

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
At least they don't have to sell many of them to make a living. Imagine the profitability of those puppies!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was at Axpona this year where they launched some new Borressen towers, $280K/pair. I listened to an executive's lengthy preamble before they let the speakers loose, and he went on and on about all the marvelous things they did to make the speaker sound good. For example, they make the woofer driver baskets out of 3D printed zirconium (at $3k per driver), and they went out of their way to avoid aluminum since "aluminum sounds bad"- and he was talking the electrical signal path, not the cone material. Lots of crazy talk about how some metals sound better than others. So, before he turns on the speaker, he instructs us to listen to the superior transients of this loudspeaker, and what does he do: he puts on some techno music!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was at Axpona this year where they launched some new Borressen towers, $280K/pair. I listened to an executive's lengthy preamble before they let the speakers loose, and he went on and on about all the marvelous things they did to make the speaker sound good. For example, they make the woofer driver baskets out of 3D printed zirconium (at $3k per driver), and they went out of their way to avoid aluminum since "aluminum sounds bad"- and he was talking the electrical signal path, not the cone material. Lots of crazy talk about how some metals sound better than others. So, before he turns on the speaker, he instructs us to listen to the superior transients of this loudspeaker, and what does he do: he puts on some techno music!
Lots of audio voodoo in that group of companies.....lol aluminum sounds bad.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Well again.... I talked a lot to Michael Børresen and he is really nice guy and I certainly don´t have the impression that he is going to trick anyone, you may agree or disagree.... If you don´t agree, it doesn´t mean it´s voodoo or trickery....
there´s lots of crazy stuff out there like chinese ESD Acoustics $4.000.000 5 way active horn speaker system presented at this years hifi show in Munich. :eek:

Børresen is going much more upscale with new M6 speakers where all driver baskets are from 3D printed zirconium and all those things from the M1 speaker into the huge $550.000 M6 speaker; extremely very much off the chart by way way far .... from my point of view .... and is it good looking? hmm, not from my point of view. Is it worth this money, well :oops:

I listened a lot to the Børresen speakers at all price points and so far none of them enganged me musically yet. Lots of people raving about them but they did not tip the scale at my side, yet :rolleyes:

So far, some of the best musical experiences I met are with small, quite affordable, extremely high quality standmount speakers, well made, they may present unreal magic without breaking the bank. That´s where I am heading :cool:
Buy affordable???? it could be $10k to $15k, not that affordable really but within this picture it may be a steal :cool:

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Wow for that amount I could get the car, the bookshelves and pay off the mortgage. Crazy money.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Mercedes would be faster and easier to sell.
However, you wouldn't have to dump $6k in repairs in the speaker every few months after it is out of warranty...

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
However, you wouldn't have to dump $6k in repairs in the speaker every few months after it is out of warranty...
The idea would be to sell it when it is new. But you have a point.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Buy both, then decide which home you are going to put both as you obviously will have more than one home LOL. But first I need to get in my private jet and go see these speakers LOL.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis