J

Jandrade01

Audiophyte
Hello,

I have been reading the forums for a while now and I believe that it is time for me to purchase a surround sound system. I am about to graduate college so I will use the money to buy the system. I am looking to spend no more them $1000 but will if it won't cost that much more to get a lot better product.

I currently have a Sony 42" HDTV model kdfe42a10

The room the system will be in is not large 15"13 if that plays into the selection process.

Circuit city has a special going ... http://weeklyad.circuitcity.com/circuitcity/default.aspx?action=buyonline&ListingID=-2096168952&StoreID=2397164&finalprice=999.9400&ProductCode=http%3a%2f%2fburlap.ccs.com%3a88%2fccd%2fbundleDetail.do%3foid%3d120213%26bundleId%3d1754%26&redirect=http%3a%2f%2fburlap.ccs.com%3a88%2fccd%2fbundleDetail.do%3foid%3d120213%26bundleId%3d1754%26Key%3d85

Is that good deal or not?

Any help will be appreciated....

Thanks.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
The Link does not work

Can't answer the link could not be displayed. Sorry

Edit: nice tv!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
For $1000, I would get the following:

2pr BIC DV-62si Bookshelves from Amazon.
1 BIC DV-62CLR Center from Amazon.

Acoustech H100 Subwoofer from Ubid
Pioneer DV-588AS DVD Player from J&R
(Or maybe another inexpensive DVD player with HDMI, since your TV supports it)

Dayton Cables from Parts Express
Speaker cable from Westlake

Don't forget that you'll need speaker stands as well.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Aren't we forgetting something?

jaxvon said:
For $1000, I would get the following:

2pr BIC DV-62si Bookshelves from Amazon.
1 BIC DV-62CLR Center from Amazon.

Acoustech H100 Subwoofer from Ubid
Pioneer DV-588AS DVD Player from J&R
(Or maybe another inexpensive DVD player with HDMI, since your TV supports it)

Dayton Cables from Parts Express
Speaker cable from Westlake

Don't forget that you'll need speaker stands as well.
like a receiver?

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
I do not think it can be done for a grand. And you are right about the receiver.... I too forgot about it.

Even if you went with RX-V457, Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 (or Warfedale system), Some $150 and below single disk DVD player, then cables, it is going to be tight. I do not think it can be done good enough for a grand. Maybe but it is going to be close. Definatly not with Tax included. Maybe if you got some B stock items then. But 1300 is more like it. :confused:

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Oops! I had to run and I forgot to add that. If you have a friend that works at Best Buy, you can get a Pioneer 1015Tx for under $333. Otherwise, I would look for deals online.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
Pioneer vsx-815tx or vsx1015tx
Pioneer dv-588as
HSU ventriloquist vt12 + HSU STF-1
For a grand this system would be pretty hard to beat.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Take a look on B&h Photo's web site. Their prices on the large manufacturer's are the best I've seen (Onkyo,H-K, JBl, etc...). Also, they are not an internet only business. They are a real store with a large e-tailing stake. I've found them to be very dependable. OneCall is also worth a look. #Either of these will give more bang for the buck that the Circuit City's. They also offer complete systems composed of various manufacturer's components at a package discount. These may be worth a look. Put most of your budget in speakers. 350.00 for the electronics for a small room will be ample.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I can vouch for B & H being a bonafide B & M dealer.

I've walked by 'em many times on the way from Penn Station to the Jacob Javitz center in NYC. But, going by their catalog they don't have the variety I look for in audio and the catalog doesn't mention prices. Cameras is a different story.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Do you have to get everyting now?

Jandrade01 said:
I am looking to spend no more them $1000 but will if it won't cost that much more to get a lot better product
IMHO, it would be better if you got just the receiver and mains now. That would prevent the situation where you have to upgrade everyting in the future. I would suggest spending $750.00 - 800.00 of your budget on a pair of mains now, and getting the center and surrounds from the same company/ series (for timber matching) next, and eventually adding a subwoofer. It might take a few months to get the complete setup together, but when you are done, it will definitely be much better than if you spend $1000.00 all told.

All electronics will get obsolete sooner or later, but good speakers are forever...again IMHO.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis