100" Sony TV - $20K - X92J

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
20k, I changed the title, so it would be clear.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, TVs the price of a new car. It is very nice though. It will sell, lots of very wealthy people out there.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
People don't seem to remember what the entry price point was 20 years ago for HDTV. A 50" plasma was a solid $10,000-$20,000 depending on what you got. It was just the cost of admission.

Now, here we are, very spoiled with huge TVs for next to nothing.

Those that could afford the 50" plasmas 20 years ago can easily get the 100" Sony without much thought. I remember working in homes that had $100,000+ in flat panel displays back then. Crazy to me, but not to those with $$$$.

Kind of like LG's roll up OLED TV. It's still about the quality you get out of it though.

I would certainly get one of these if I lived much more of a money is no object life.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I remember Fujitsu Plasmas were in the teens twenty years ago and those things were hardly as big and capable as these new sets.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My first HDTV was a USED 26" Samsung for $600, which was $1200 when it was new!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
People don't seem to remember what the entry price point was 20 years ago for HDTV. A 50" plasma was a solid $10,000-$20,000 depending on what you got. It was just the cost of admission.

Those that could afford the 50" plasmas 20 years ago can easily get the 100" Sony without much thought. I remember working in homes that had $100,000+ in flat panel displays back then. Crazy to me, but not to those with $$$$.

Kind of like LG's roll up OLED TV. It's still about the quality you get out of it though.

I would certainly get one of these if I lived much more of a money is no object life.
I remember the first time I saw the 103" Panasonic Plasma in person. It was pretty fantastic. A bar (of all places) used one in place of a projector. Made sense because IIRC it had 4 way split screen. Almost 450lbs and required a 220/240v AC line.

I bet it saved money using it as a heater in the winter!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

God those TVs looked terrible back then too. I started selling in 2007, and they were still not that great. That was when the 120hz TVs were the brand new thing. Even before LED backlit TVs.

Amazing how far things have come and how far prices have dropped.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
God those TVs looked terrible back then too. I started selling in 2007, and they were still not that great. That was when the 120hz TVs were the brand new thing. Even before LED backlit TVs.

Amazing how far things have come and how far prices have dropped.
I think I got into this business right around the turn of the century. Everything was analog for video, and the only way to get HDTV was on a couple of DirecTV stations or over the air. It was like the old days of TV. Lots of repeated shows and very little content. 1080p didn't exist for anyone. Line doublers from Faroudja were $10,000+ and plasmas were using rectangular pixels with 1024x768 resolution in a 16:9 setup.

Now we have every other person complaining that their new 4K TV doesn't accept HDMI 2.1 120hz signals and isn't capable of downconvering 8K video to 4K like they just 'should'. It's next level. It's almost as next level as the number of displays that actually are capable of performing such cheap parlor tricks.

As a big fan of front projection, what I've seen happen in the last 20 years, as digital projectors came in and easily replaced my 3-gun CRT projectors, was the incredible growth at the low end. The idea that for well under $1,000 you can get a full 1080p projector that has enough brightness for a 150" screen in a dark room and will deliver solid colors, decent black levels, and very good motion would have been unheard of when they hit the market.

I can't wait to see what we get over the next ten plus years.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think I got into this business right around the turn of the century. Everything was analog for video, and the only way to get HDTV was on a couple of DirecTV stations or over the air. It was like the old days of TV. Lots of repeated shows and very little content. 1080p didn't exist for anyone. Line doublers from Faroudja were $10,000+ and plasmas were using rectangular pixels with 1024x768 resolution in a 16:9 setup.

Now we have every other person complaining that their new 4K TV doesn't accept HDMI 2.1 120hz signals and isn't capable of downconvering 8K video to 4K like they just 'should'. It's next level. It's almost as next level as the number of displays that actually are capable of performing such cheap parlor tricks.

As a big fan of front projection, what I've seen happen in the last 20 years, as digital projectors came in and easily replaced my 3-gun CRT projectors, was the incredible growth at the low end. The idea that for well under $1,000 you can get a full 1080p projector that has enough brightness for a 150" screen in a dark room and will deliver solid colors, decent black levels, and very good motion would have been unheard of when they hit the market.

I can't wait to see what we get over the next ten plus years.
We had one of the 1080i/480p CRT rear projection TVs in college and it was actually pretty great. It took a long time for PQ on flat panels to get to where that thing was in 2004. I do remember watching a lot of nature documentaries because Dish only had HDNet and a few other things. It was cool that the Dish box and the TV both had DVI. No HDMI to be found. We had an antenna for OTA locals in HD because dish didn't have them, but it was actually pretty amazing for the time. We were the place to be Superbowl Sunday. Nobody else had anything HD. It was such a huge leap in PQ it was amazing.

I don't think we'll see something as drastic as going from an SD CRT to an HD CRT. That old Mitsubishi 1080i CRT looked great (for what it was) till it finally crapped out in 2016.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Is there a projector on the market that can currently beat the resolution and picture of what’s available on TVs?

If not, which is my guess, you have something close to projector size but also unique in that a projector has nothing on this in terms of picture quality.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Is there a projector on the market that can currently beat the resolution and picture of what’s available on TVs?

If not, which is my guess, you have something close to projector size but also unique in that a projector has nothing on this in terms of picture quality.
HDR is the biggest issue with projectors. They simple can't get bright enough to deliver great HDR.

But, don't think for a second that a 100" image is the same as a 135" or 150" front projection image. The FEEL is so different with front projection. It truly feels like an immersive experience for the whole family. Plus, you can get a very good to excellent 150" image for under $3,000 right now. You can go pick up the projector and install it all by yourself. Be watching that movie tonight. It's just not something that you can do with a 100" sized screen.

That said, I'd love a 100" flat panel TV in my family room. Love it.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
My first HDTV was a USED 26" Samsung for $600, which was $1200 when it was new!
My first was 40” Sony for $650 or so , didn’t get a sale price tho … ended up having amazing picture quality for a low rated model I must had gotten a winner panel .

400 pound plasma wow . Even if I find a job soon I can’t imagine affording a 20k tv anytime soon if ever …
Picture quality must be spectacular on this 100” Sony !!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis