10" sub; picking from 3

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Right now the three contenders are:

PB10-ISD - a bit pricey for the budget. (429)
HSU-STF 2 - I'm thinking perhaps the STF 1... but that might be too small and only goes down to around 32Hz (399/299)
10" TITANIC MKIII SUBWOOFER KIT - nice price but not sure how the sound is vs. the others... and can I mess this up :D (349)

I wasn't able to find too many reviews on the Titanic really; or that many on the STF 2. But I did read some glowing reviews on the SVS one.

If the three 10" perform close to the same... then I think I might just go with the kit and put it together myself. Especially if there is a big difference between the $50 with the STF 1 and the Titanic MK3.

Perhaps I'm not even taking in to account some other sub that's great and right around the 300 mark...

-Mike

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I was in your EXACT same position about a month ago...same subs, same price level (~$400). I also considered the Adire Rava and the Rocket ULW-10. The price on the rocket was intro at $399...it's since gone up to $499 so that one's probably out for your budget.

My two strongest front runners were the SVS and the Hsu. Now, obviously I can't tell you which one is better...actually, I don't think anyone can. But, at $30 more than the Hsu, I thought the SVS wasn't really that much of a price jump. What I can tell you is that I've never looked back. Not one inkling of wondering "what if?" This sub has performed beyond my expectations and I sit around wondering why i waited so long to get a real sub (I was using an old HIB Sony 8" 100W sub...that thing barely put out anything). What I can tell you is that I based my decision on reviews, the consumer demand for the SVS (it was pre-ordered through the roof!...everyone wanted one before they were even shipping), and the quality of build put into. That's no knock on the Hsu...they look very, very well built as well. But there was just something about the SVS.

So, buy what you will because our choices are great. Also, if you're not happy, they are returnable. SVS gives you 45 days....I'm not sure of the return policy on the Hsu but I'm pretty sure they have one...I think they really want their customers to be happy. Although, I don't know about the DIY kit...seems like once you build it, it may not be returnable...but I could very well be wrong. My vote would obviously be for the SVS, but I'm sure a Hsu owner would argue for the Hsu. Ultimately, it's what you're happy with...luckily, you've started in a good area.

J

jotham

Audioholic
They all sound like excellent choices. I've wondered about the SVS and HSU as well. In the end, I went with the Titanic kit.

In addition to the kit, I believe you also have to buy some spray on adhesive to attach the foam. Other than that, it's a piece of cake to assemble and kind of fun.

The advantage I saw to the kit was that I knew exactly what was going into it. I could investigate the price and build of the subwoofer and know the quality I was receiving. It was also a sealed design which appealed to me as I was looking for tight fast bass, not boomy or one-note. Huge freaking magnet structure. Plus it had free shipping which was very attractive at the time.

I'm certainly not an audio expert but I have 4 subwoofers with the Titanic being the smallest and least powered so I have some experience with different characterics.

Even with high output levels, I've had a really hard time stressing this sub. In fact, I've had to remove the grill during my tests because I got to the point that it was vibrating the grill mounts. It appears (and this is always taken with a grain of salt) to have higher output levels than the SVS. I didn't check the HSU. But I personally wanted accurate bass so that wasn't my driving factor.

In my opinion, it doesn't have the visceral hit (punch in the gut) that some of my 12" subs have but I'm convinced that is a consequence of the sub area (100 pi vs. 144 pi). It plays low and smooth. It seems to blend well with my bookshelf speakers in spite of non-ideal positioning. It's not a beautiful sub, basically matte black, but it's easy to make inconspicuous. Probably the same as the SVS in WAF. The HSU with a custom wood top is really pretty but expensive.

Even though it sounds like I'm criticizing it, it's an amazing beast. I've seriously considered getting the 12" for my home theater to augment what I have there.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the subs. I think the Titanic kit is a better deal at the moment. If I were buying a more expensive sub ($600+) I would probably try out SVS.

good luck!

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. I have heard the HSU and it's very good for the price. I think Comp USA carries them now. If you have one near you, maybe it's worth checking out. A large store like that is hardly the best place to audition a sub but you can get your hands on it and check it out. A home test will be imperative for any sub you buy.

I have yet to hear the SVS model you mentioned so I can't comment on it but SVS makes good subs. Can't imagine this model not being a good performer. Just looking at the specs, it goes the lowest among the 3 at 20hz. Although, not sure how realistic that is in a typical room.

The titanic 10", I have not heard. Like I mentioned before, the 15 inch is awesome. I feel it far out performs anything in it's price range. I have listened to a lot of subs in the past and this thing just blows me away. Sure, spend $1500 plus and you can beat it but why? I have heard very good things about the 10in and 12in as well. I just think you really get a lot of sub for the money with the Titanic kits. Building it is a breeze. My buddy built his in about a hour or so. Your just basically bolting everything together.

Check out the forums over at partsexpress.com. It's full of DIY'ers and there is usually some threads on the Titanic subs.

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl

Anyway, like I mentioned above, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three subs. Personally, I would probably spend a little more and get the Titanic 12 in. kit and be done with it. But's it's a couple hundred more that the 10in.

Shinerman

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
CompUSA got the Hsu products when they bought GoodGuys and therefore the Hsu contract. That contract has expired and they no longer have any new Hsu. I did see a Hsu Ventriloquist 12 about three weeks ago still at a CompUSA on a manager's clearance sale for $99.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the awesome feedback... it looks like you all figure I need to find another $80 from the kit cost and spring for the SVS... now trying to find over 400 w/o invoking the wrath of the wife... that's another story!!!

hm... think think think.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
hm well dr. HSU figures an STF-1 should be enough... I bounced him my floor plan (posted here in in floorplans) to make sure a 1 would be enough.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
ducker said:
hm well dr. HSU figures an STF-1 should be enough... I bounced him my floor plan (posted here in in floorplans) to make sure a 1 would be enough.

That's the way a company should be run. He didn't try to oversell you and answered your request. I have always heard he was very hands on but this seems to verify it.

So, are you going with the HSU?

Shinerman

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Like I said, I bouned him a followup to make sure a 1 would be enough... I told him my price range was around $300... so perhaps he figured a STF-2 was outside of my range. I'm not sure if he would tell a possible customer "You really need a STF-2 in that room... otherwise, I would hold off until your budget increases." (ie. Sell a STF-1 is better then no sale at all)

Although He might... I have no idea!

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Bah... so tricky... he says a STF-1 is enough, but I'm pondering about perhaps waiting for a B list- STF-2... perhaps that's too much base??? if that is I would gather that a SVS PB10-ISD would be too much too... heh

Woooo.. so much fun... not having a clue what to do... :p and then if I go B-list the return policy isn't in effect (but the warrenty is).

In all honesty, I bet I would be wicked happy with the STF-1. Perhaps I should just get that and be done with it. But then I have this feeling as if I'll be missing out on some killer base in the SVS! heh... aaaaah grrrr

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Ok.... I'm sorry I'm subjecting you all you my random, ramblings... but the input that people have given me has been great.

If I go with the SVS PB10-ISD will it work when I listen in 2 channel stereo mode? I might just be missing something but it almost looks as if it will only work with 5.1 DD/DTS mode

-Mike

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
The SVS PB-10 must be used with a surround sound receiver that has bass management (i.e. setting crossover frequency). A regular stereo receiver will not work.

And most receivers that are designed for home theater also have a 5 channel stereo mode. In that mode, the sub will be active. Some receivers also have a 2 channel mode that bypasses any sub.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
You are ok with that receiver and the PB-10

If you want the sub to be on when listening to music, just use the Dolby PLII/PLIIx Music mode. It will use all 5/6/7/8 speakers accordingly.

If you just want to hear the main two speakers, use 2 Channel Stereo Mode and the sub will not be utilized.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Hm... what if I wanted to just listen to the 2 fronts and the sub... w/o the rears or front channel... I would think that using those speakers would muddle the sound quality of playing a standard CD... I could be WAY off base though :)
(I hope I am) I just look at those small AS-R1 bi-pole speakers and they look so little and wimpy :)

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
ducker said:
Hm... what if I wanted to just listen to the 2 fronts and the sub... w/o the rears or front channel... I would think that using those speakers would muddle the sound quality of playing a standard CD... I could be WAY off base though :)
(I hope I am) I just look at those small AS-R1 bi-pole speakers and they look so little and wimpy :)

On my RX-V1400 there is a setting for 2-channel that will play both fronts and use the sub and then there is 2-channel direct (I think that's what it is called) that bypasses all digital signals and does not use the sub. I'm betting you receiver has the same modes although they might be called something different now.

Oh, and in regard to your sub issue, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO BIG OF A SUB! :D Well, OK maybe you can but the SVS PB-10 should be fine. You might have to "turn" it down a bit but don't be afraid to go with a little more power and "umph". Better go a little big than to get a sub that can't handle your room. From what I remember of your room diagram off the top of my head you have a lot of openings for those lower frequency waves to escape. You might actually be better off with a little larger sub than recc. Did Mr. HSU see the diagrams?

Shinerman

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Yea he did... but I pretty much sold on the PB10. I like the lower extension it will reach, and the fact that it actually is more simplistic on the back, vs the high lvl inputs and etc, on the back of the STF's. (which are great if you're going down that road.... but I won't be; at least not in the next 3-5 years)

I would wager you're right in it having a setting... I'm still learning my amp... and it appears as if I have a LONG way to go... I've seen direct stereo, sur. stereo, etc... and like a ton of other settings... which do I use?? no idea! heh sure I could let my ear decide, but there are so many!!!

well those two openings (can be seen in the room diagram/setup section) will eventually be closed off.
The opening between the living room and the dining room has a pocket slider, which someone decided they no longer wanted to use, so they simply covered the opening with a 2x6. The other opening goes to our foyer, there used to be french doors there. Again, the wife wants to put those back in as well... voila perfect... 0 openings :)

this will most likely be a couple years down the road... but that's ok! heh

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Yeah, the Yamaha should be able to play two channels with a sub or not.

They keep adding new modes and names, and it's so hard to keep track of what they all do.

DPLII,DPLIIx work really well. I used to think I wanted to listen to 2 channel for music only, but they won me over. The Music mode is a bit more subtle and really preserves the ambience of the original recording.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
warpdrive said:
Yeah, the Yamaha should be able to play two channels with a sub or not.

They keep adding new modes and names, and it's so hard to keep track of what they all do.

DPLII,DPLIIx work really well. I used to think I wanted to listen to 2 channel for music only, but they won me over. The Music mode is a bit more subtle and really preserves the ambience of the original recording.

I actually really like DTS Neo 6 for CDs. I find it really makes the sound more lively and "big". Of course I am not a "purist" when it comes to sound reproduction. I don't have to have everthing as accurate as possible at all times.

Ducker,

Go with the SVS. If you don't you will always wish you had. It's human nature to second guess yourself after the fact so just "Go Big" and enjoy. :cool:

Shinerman

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
will any type of RCA plug work for this sub?
ex. is there anything really different between the three plugs in a Video,R+L RCA cable?
any RCA style plug that's made for "just a sub" seems to be at a higher price.

Since I'm going from Receiver, to wall plate, through basement, back up to wall plate, to sub, I want a few short streaches (two 3' runs) of RCA cable, and one longer appox 20' run. If any RCA will do the job... I'll just pick up something along the lines of a 25' "Stereo RCA cable" and only use one side.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis