S

sakete

Audioholic
Here are the corrected results:

2x RSL 10S MKII:

1722613338683.png

1x HSU VTF2-MK5:
1722613377995.png

There is this null around 100hz. Time to start experimenting with placement. I'll start exprimenting with the RSLs. Right now they're both positioned equi-distant next to my speakers.

S

sakete

Audioholic
Ok, I think I've arrived at the best overall setup, with the 2 subs positioned asymetrically (the left sub is between left speaker and TV, right sub is to the outside of the right speaker).

Oddly enough, when I run Audyssey for the current setup, there's a huge dip around 66hz. I saved this to Preset 1. However, I also had Preset 2, which was for when I had the subs positioned differently (don't even remember exactly where they were), but leaving it on this Preset with the subs in their current position gives a much flatter response overall through 100hz.

I then ran a sweep through 500hz just now with both the 2 subs and my 2 front speakers, tweaking the crossover settings to see which would give the flattest response overall. Turns out, setting the 2 fronts to a 150hz crossover gave the best overall results:

1722619737368.png

So I'm gonna go with this for now and will now do some subjective music/movie listening tests to see how even the bass response is.

@Trell I think I'll most likely keep the 2 subs and send back the Hsu. But will do some actual listening test first.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looks pretty good to me. Only one thing…
Change the vertical limits to read 45-105. Might look a little rougher but will be a more accurate graph.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Looks pretty good to me. Only one thing…
Change the vertical limits to read 45-105. Might look a little rougher but will be a more accurate graph.
Also no measurements below 20-15Hz. Before measuring the two subwoofers also do a short Audyssey calibration to set level and distance that for me was just three measurements in the same place as MLP.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also no measurements below 20-15Hz. Before measuring the two subwoofers also do a short Audyssey calibration to set level and distance that for me was just three measurements in the same place as MLP.
It probably depends on a few things as far as measuring below 15-20. In my room I have response to just below 14hz so I always start at 10. The RSL’s won’t go near that so I agree.
I think he did actually do a calibration first but maybe not.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It probably depends on a few things as far as measuring below 15-20. In my room I have response to just below 14hz so I always start at 10. The RSL’s won’t go near that so I agree.
It was to avoid such a low fr to a subwoofer that might not be able to handle it.

S

sakete

Audioholic
I did do calibration first, yes.

S

sakete

Audioholic
Ok. So now, add a little distance by a half a foot or foot at a time. That might help shore up the trough between 70 and 105hz. Might help with impulse response too.
It’s deep and wide enough to be noticeable.
This is my setup that gave these results. To the right is just a hallway, so there's no more space to move the right sub that way. Having it closer to the left gave worse results.

The left sub is the main one I've been experimenting with and that position so far gave the best results overall. Not much space to move it closer to me, and having it in the corner gave worse results also.

Maybe I'll do some more experimenting tonight if I have the time.
IMG_4082.jpeg

It's weird, when I run Audyssey with the current setup, I get these results (for the subs only):

1722624545065.png

I had run a different Audyssey measurement with the subs in a different position, which I had saved to Preset 2. When I load that Preset 2 for how the subs are placed right now (as in the photo above), this is the result:

1722624622504.png

But in either the case the ~65hz - 125hz region needs improving. That weird dip around 65hz needs to be eliminated.

I'm also tempted to try the Hsu one more time and put it in the position of where the left sub is currently. I first had it all the way in the corner. But I'll probably end up with both of the RSLs as I can see how it evens out the bass response a lot. I was just now listening to music and watching Dune 2 to test the sound, and the bass is way more centered and tight than it was with the Hsu, where it felt like it would come from the left at times (because of the positioning and I guess the corner amplifying the low-end).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Haha. I’ll read the last post. But what I meant was add the distance to the subwoofer in the AVR lololol!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is the back of the room an option for sub placement?

S

sakete

Audioholic
Is the back of the room an option for sub placement?
It’s like an open living space, with living, kitchen and dining. I guess I can potentially put one in dining room or something with the wireless audio thing I also got with the sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’s like an open living space, with living, kitchen and dining. I guess I can potentially put one in dining room or something with the wireless audio thing I also got with the sub.
Sometimes front wall/back wall setup diagonally somewhat can work well was my thought. If open space that may not work so well....but sometimes you just need to experiment.

S

sakete

Audioholic
Sometimes front wall/back wall setup diagonally somewhat can work well was my thought. If open space that may not work so well....but sometimes you just need to experiment.
I'll first experiment with the distance settings on the AVR, see how that works before I go moving around these subs again. I didn't realize those settings could make a significant impact. Maybe I'll put the right sub to the left of the R front speaker, instead of to the right where it's out in the hallway, all odd looking and experiment with distance settings to see how that affects the measurements.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
This is my setup that gave these results. To the right is just a hallway, so there's no more space to move the right sub that way. Having it closer to the left gave worse results.

The left sub is the main one I've been experimenting with and that position so far gave the best results overall. Not much space to move it closer to me, and having it in the corner gave worse results also.

Maybe I'll do some more experimenting tonight if I have the time.
View attachment 68695

It's weird, when I run Audyssey with the current setup, I get these results (for the subs only):

View attachment 68696

I had run a different Audyssey measurement with the subs in a different position, which I had saved to Preset 2. When I load that Preset 2 for how the subs are placed right now (as in the photo above), this is the result:

View attachment 68697

But in either the case the ~65hz - 125hz region needs improving. That weird dip around 65hz needs to be eliminated.

I'm also tempted to try the Hsu one more time and put it in the position of where the left sub is currently. I first had it all the way in the corner. But I'll probably end up with both of the RSLs as I can see how it evens out the bass response a lot. I was just now listening to music and watching Dune 2 to test the sound, and the bass is way more centered and tight than it was with the Hsu, where it felt like it would come from the left at times (because of the positioning and I guess the corner amplifying the low-end).
I would try the HSU on the left and stack the RSL's on the right and see what happens.
I run my system in this manner with a Speedwoofer 12S instead of an HSU....the RSL12S has a high pass filter to feed the 10's.
Don't know if your HSU has that.
My room isn't as challenging looking as yours though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis