Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I listen to music 99% of the time. My question is are 2 subs that much better? I have a 12”sub and wonder
if it’s worth it (with no guarantee of success) to use all of my WAF points to argue for a second one?

I know the standing opinion is 2 but is is worth it for music alone?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
IMO. In CAN be. The biggest advantage to multiple subs is smoother response over multiple seats. That’s not to say a single seat can’t benefit from them also, but sometimes we forget to add that you can’t just plop a bunch of subs in a room and have it be great. If you have the luxury of being able to place them identically, that will go a long way, but it still takes some work. What sub/system do you currently have, and is there something you think is missing, or just a curiosity.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
One sub can work great for one seat, just depends on the room. How often are you entertaining others?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
One seat and not very often. It’s a SVS PB 2000.
Then you may be better off saving for future upgrades. Or get in to taking high resolution acoustic measurements to see if maybe smaller more easily concealed subs may be an option. There's all sorts of clever ways to hide speakers that don't compromise the sound!

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Thanks guys. Think I’ll save those WAF points for something else.:cool:

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
I own a pair of PC-2000 subs, which are very similar to your PB-2000. I noticed that running a pair eliminated localization issues I had with just one. With music, where a lot of the bass resides in a higher frequency range, I could feel the side that had the subwoofer was always a bit thicker. With a pair both sides are equally balanced.

jslivingston

jslivingston

Audiophyte
I'm of the opinion that you're better off combining the price of two subs and getting one larger one that can reach deeper frequencies more consistently. Because you can have 15 subs that can't reach 20 Hz and all of them pumping together will never reach 20 Hz.

It is true that it can help with localization depending on where you've set your crossover.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I listen to music 99% of the time. My question is are 2 subs that much better? I have a 12”sub and wonder
if it’s worth it (with no guarantee of success) to use all of my WAF points to argue for a second one?

I know the standing opinion is 2 but is is worth it for music alone?
I'm a music guy...maybe 80%-90%...really more lately.

It largely depends on the room, as long as the Sub has the umph, with ideal placement you should be good to go with one sub.

It's rare that you will be able to find the ideal location and be able to leave it there.

For me, with roughly 2800 cu ft...I didn't need the extra sub for power or boom effect...the 2nd sub eliminated the localization problems and balanced out the bass...now it sounds as if the bass is coming from everywhere.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis