$1,000 Budget stereo review.

nordhaven

nordhaven

Junior Audioholic
A couple month's ago I was looking for a new stereo system for around a $1,000 budget. I got a lot of good advice and help from the folks on the forum. I thought I would write my own review to possibly help others.

My old system was 15 years old. I wanted A higher power system that was DVD-Audio and SACD compatible. I started out looking at floor standing speakers. I ended up with stand mounted bookshelf's and a powered sub.

Here's the equipment...

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1
Onix X series x-ls bookshelf loudspeakers....$219.00

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=furniture&product=14.1
x-ls Launch pad and stands.... $150.00

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=subwoofers&brand=57
X-Series subwoofer....$199.00

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd_image.html
OppO DV-970HD DVD Player....$149.00

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK 3480-Z&status=
Harmon Kardon HK 3480 Stereo receiver "referb"....$198.00

All that put the equipment total at $915.00 That left $85.00 for shipping. The total for shipping was more like $150.00 "AV123!!!!"

The review.

l-xs speakers---All packaging form AV123 was very good. Over all quality and appearance is quite nice. First sound impressions (2-3 hours) were just OK. I quit listening and let the FM stereo play for two days while at work. Before this I never bought into the whole break in theory. I got to tell you it is very true. At least with these speakers. They were much better after 40-50 hours of use. They relay opened up and filled out in range. They have been getting a little bit better ever since. Lows and high range are very good. Mid range is good but just a bit lacking in human vocals. Better then my old Bose and dam good for a $200 bookshelf. They blend in great with the X-sub in my 1900 cube foot room. In a den or office these would most likely have enough bass by them selves. Like I said they just keep getting better and I am very happy with them! Sound is smooth and true , maybe just a bit layed back.

Speaker stands---- Not much to say here. They do what they should. Nice paint, solid and OK floor spikes.

X-Sub sub-woofer----A good buy for $200.00! Three hook-up options. Good crossover and components. Very nice rattle free sound and low response for an 8" woofer. sounds seamless with the x-ls's in my room. I did not notice any "break in" with the sub. Although "I" got better over time at tuning it in with different music.

OppO DVD----Best bang for the buck of the whole group! This thing rocks! Check out the web site to see all the features. While the 970 is a great video unit it is outstanding at audio reproduction. I think it has more audio settings and options then it does video. I have mine set to down mix stereo at 192htz/24bit. The few DVD I have mastered in this high res blow my mind!!! It says in the manual to put the dog in the other room and they ain't shitting. The sound quality is superb. Great product, great manual, easy to use, nice remote. A total winner!

Harmon Kardon 3480----Nothing real outstanding here. A nice stereo receiver with good power and clean true sound. The clean high power is the high point of this receiver. The 120 watts per / ch is Conservative at best. You can really feal the clean power through the x-ls's. Makes my old Kenwood sound like crap. Sub out's and plenty of inputs. The remote is junk, Bad agronomics and cheap feal. The 3480 is big and fills up a cabinet. I think it looks nice though. The blue lights are kind of classy, and look nice dimmed. Front jacks might come in handy if I ever get a PS3. Overall the 3480 puts out good clean sound and complements the OppO 970 very well!

To sum it all up I'm real happy with everything. The system seems to complement each other quite well with nothing really out or under performing any thing else. The more I use it the more I like it. And thats a good thing! The whole experience has been fun and I'm defiantly not gonna wait another 15 years before upgrading again.

I hope this helps anyone in the same shoes I was in or just someone looking for a new component to an existing system.:D

Last edited:
dpnaugle

dpnaugle

Junior Audioholic
well done

Well done!

Speakers look great and I bet they sound great too. I have the most difficult challenge when working in a budget. I can't do it. But you have done a great job here.

H/K gets rave reviews... How can you go wrong for $200.

I have never read a bad review on the OPPO players.

DN

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Sounds like a great budget system you've put together there. If there were one thing I'd have done differently, I would have bought some different speaker stands. Not knowing those X-LS stands that well, they don't seem that substantial or have any particular design features so I would have gone with something else (probably from parts express).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis