“Re-imagining” movies

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
I have become leery of any movie which dubs itself as a “Re-imagining” of an original.
Tim Burton, whose movies I usually love, “re-imagined” Planet Of The Apes, and it sucked. The Science Channel had a mini-series called Tin Man which was a re-imagining of The Wizard Of Oz, and was so bizarre and out-there I couldn’t watch it. I tried to tune into the idea that it was a completely different story, but just couldn’t get the original film out of my head.

Most recently was The Day The Earth Stood Still. Ugh. This is a Sci-Fi classic that should have been left alone. The story was trite, the acting sub-par, the effects were lousy (they couldn’t afford real helicopters?) and reducing Gort to an acronym (Genetically Organized Robotic Technology) it was nothing more than a collection of nano-bots that swarmed around causing havoc. Not to mention Keanu Reeves monotone acting…really bad all around.

I’m not opposed to the idea of re-making a movie, I liked the John Carpenter version of The Thing, and the ‘80’s version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, as well as Johnny Depp in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. I did NOT however like the updated version of War Of The Worlds (Tom Cruise is s smug, arrogant prick).

So, what’s your opinion?

Wannabubble

Wannabubble

Junior Audioholic
Most recently was The Day The Earth Stood Still. Ugh. This is a Sci-Fi classic that should have been left alone. The story was trite, the acting sub-par, the effects were lousy (they couldn’t afford real helicopters?) and reducing Gort to an acronym (Genetically Organized Robotic Technology) it was nothing more than a collection of nano-bots that swarmed around causing havoc. Not to mention Keanu Reeves monotone acting…really bad all around.
I think the movie was ok. Although I did not see or even know it was a remake until recently. As for Keanu Reeves acting, I think for the roll it was right on. (Although that monotone "acting" is really probably just his normal voice :D) The story and ending did miss something. I'm really not sure what. I just felt like I was left hanging.
I did NOT however like the updated version of War Of The Worlds (Tom Cruise is s smug, arrogant prick).
Good movie, HORRIBLE ending, and Dakota Fanning needs to decide if she wants to be the grown up little girl or the whining little girl. She would flip-flop SO much in this movie, it was almost like 2 characters.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think the movie was ok. Although I did not see or even know it was a remake until recently. As for Keanu Reeves acting, I think for the roll it was right on. (Although that monotone "acting" is really probably just his normal voice :D) The story and ending did miss something. I'm really not sure what. I just felt like I was left hanging.
That's how the original one ended... I liked the new one, though it is nowhere near as good as the original.

Good movie, HORRIBLE ending.
As before, that is the same ending as the original. it was a bad movie though, with more plot holes than Swiss cheese. It is little more than a demo disc.

I enjoyed the "new" Planet of the Apes as well, but it wasn't a great film for sure. Easily one of Burton's worst films.

One cannot enter these movies expecting the original one. If they made it exactly the same, then I could just as easily watch the original. There has to be a good compromise between what should and should not be changed and I thought they did a good job of not changing too much in The Day the Earth Stood Still. They still sort of missed the mark, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

R

roygrady

Audiophyte
Dont get me started on the plot holes of that movie....eek

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis