Trying to create a system on a budget, what's the best speakers to use with an Onkyo TX SR 373?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey everyone, I have a further question:

I've grabbed the Pioneer bookshelves, center, and subwoofer. For the other two speakers, should I spend the extra and get two towers, or is two more bookshelves sufficient?

The room is basically 30' x 15', split half into a sitting room and kitchenette. It's not a terribly big space, but I'm wondering what's the way to go for this.
A room that size I would opt for the towers and use the bookshelves in the rear. Especially, if you like it loud. The towers will be more dynamic. If you prefer not to listen very loud, then perhaps another set of the bookshelves will suffice. How far is the MLP from your front-stage? That comes into play as well.

Cheers,

Phil

H

HotlineBirdman

Audiophyte
A room that size I would opt for the towers and use the bookshelves in the rear. Especially, if you like it loud. The towers will be more dynamic. If you prefer not to listen very loud, then perhaps another set of the bookshelves will suffice. How far is the MLP from your front-stage? That comes into play as well.

Cheers,

Phil
What does MLP mean?

I'd love to listen loud, but we have a newborn baby next door so I don't wanna irritate her

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What does MLP mean?

I'd love to listen loud, but we have a newborn baby next door so I don't wanna irritate her
Main Listening Position. You know the sweet spot. How far is it from your front-stage?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, that's maybe 5 feet back from the TV and center channel speaker.
That is very close. If you really like to play things loudly, then the towers may be a good idea. If not, then the bookshelves will work fine. I prefer to listen at moderate levels. On occasion, I will rock out a bit. ;)

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hey everyone, I have a further question:

I've grabbed the Pioneer bookshelves, center, and subwoofer. For the other two speakers, should I spend the extra and get two towers, or is two more bookshelves sufficient?

The room is basically 30' x 15', split half into a sitting room and kitchenette. It's not a terribly big space, but I'm wondering what's the way to go for this.
Another pair of bookshelf speakers can work for you -- speakers are more about the distance from your seat, the subwoofer is more about the volume of your room.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@HotlineBirdman , Zieg is right in that the bookshelf speakers will be fine. For some reason or another, I was thinking your room was 30' X 15' that opened up to a small kitchenette room whereas the room is divided. Not to mention, the MLP is rather close to your front-stage. It was an oversight on my part. Best wishes! :)

Cheers,

Phil

H

HotlineBirdman

Audiophyte
Just a quick update, but I've set everything up and the Pioneers are rocking! Thanks for the help everyone!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis