C

Cava

Enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience with the McIntosh MB50 in their system. I'm looking forward to hearing reviews. How does it compare to the Naim NDX?

Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might want to describe and/or supply links so folk know what kind of gear you're asking about....am too lazy to look it up personally. Just what are your questions as to why the differences might be important? What is your application, rest of system, etc?

C

Cava

Enthusiast
I am looking for a good music streamer for my system that consists of a Sony 4K projector, McIntosh MX122 home theater Processor/Pre-amp, McIntosh MC8207 amp, Focal Sopra 3's BW and Martin Logan surrounds.

McIntosh MB50 is a media streamer. So is the Naim NDX, however, the latter works better with an expensive power supply.

I'm looking for anyone to comment about these units and even compare them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, think I've seen you have another thread on the same subject...

In that thread it didn't seem you asked about a streamer but an integrated amp. Just what is it that you want to "stream"?

C

Cava

Enthusiast
So- if anyone can provide any information regarding the McIntosh MB50 And/or compare it to the Naim NDX it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
So is the Naim NDX, however, the latter works better with an expensive power supply.
This is where things might get ever so slightly complicated.

Turning a blind eye on that sentence, I can tell you, without ever hearing any of the components, the easiest bet is that Naim will have the hardest time coming even close to McIntosh quality (not necessarily sound quality, but production quality, even though Naim is as solid as they come). If you're lucky enough to be able to purchase McIntosh and it features all you wish for, go for that one.

C

Cava

Enthusiast
When I first listened to the Focal Sopra 3's, I did so with them being driven by a Naim SuperUniti and it was amazing.

To be honest with you, I just don't feel like spending double the money because of the power supply recommended for the Naim NDX. I suppose I could try the NDX by itself but from everything I've read- it is so much better with at least the XPS power supply.

For these reasons- I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the McIntosh MB50.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Most here won't drop the coin on neither of the aforementioned streamers. Not to say they can't, but the options under 1k are plentiful and will likely sound quality wise, be indistinguishable. As for the, two you mentioned, I'd take the McIntosh for the features and app set and I wouldn't buy any any product that requires an external power supply with today's technology. I'd also say that if you played high res flac files via my WDTV you wouldn't be able to blindly tell a difference from any high end streamer.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
When I first listened to the Focal Sopra 3's, I did so with them being driven by a Naim SuperUniti and it was amazing.

To be honest with you, I just don't feel like spending double the money because of the power supply recommended for the Naim NDX. I suppose I could try the NDX by itself but from everything I've read- it is so much better with at least the XPS power supply.

For these reasons- I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the McIntosh MB50.
I hear you. But, You've asked and we gave an opinion.

Nobody here will give any thought to buying expensive power supplies, honestly. And if the manufacturer in any way suggests his units will not sound their best with regular power supply, I'd stay away from them. It is next to impossible to prove sound quality benefit coming from an expensive power supply (given that there's no serious issue with your standard power supply) according to anything sensible I've ever read on the subject.

A

audiojunky

Audiophyte
Does anyone have any experience with the McIntosh MB50 in their system. I'm looking forward to hearing reviews. How does it compare to the Naim NDX?

Thank you.
Sorry for the delayed response. I just saw this. I have been using the MB50 for the last 6 months as a replacement for my Oppo 105d. I really like the unit. I was having issues with the 105 dropping its streaming signal. I agonized for a while on the decision bewteen it and the new oppo sonica dac. In the end I felt that I would see similar streaming issues. As of now I dont regret the decision. The unit interfaces the music services through the Play-fi app which works as well or better than the oppo interface and has many more service options. (which the oppo did not support) I use both android and apple to interface to the unit but I think the android offering is better. (Apple is OK but not as rock solid as my phone or samsung tablet)

The unit comes with a Remote (Big bonus that the Sonica DAC lacks) I really cant tell the difference in the quality of the music between the Oppo 105d and the MB50. What I like more is the preamp section of the Mcintosh is truely a preamp worthy option compared to the Oppo in that its output to my Rotel RB1590 is more substantial. I always had to run the volume high on the Oppo to get the sound level I desired. The MB50 is just plain better as an pure Audio device. I now have the Oppo connected as an input to the MB50 for HT operation.

My system consists of the following
- MB50 feeding a Rotel RB1590 2 channel Amp
- Magnepan 3.7i speakers
- Oppo 105d as a cd/dvd do everthing else input to the MB50.

The MB50 works well enough through Tidal that I no longer play CDs and cannot tell the difference in sound quality.

Downsides.
- Tidal is not gapless (Track to Track)
- A wired connection to the MB50 is really necessary to yeild truely reliable streaming. (this requires an inexpensive dongle that you can get through amazon or from McIntosh.
- The remote is a bit wierd in its shape. Works fine but does not have massive functionality.
- As a preamp it does not support typical MC/MM phono inputs so if thats important - be advised.

Pluses.
- Hooks directly to an Amp with balanced or unbalenced connects, This reduces the number of devices between the speakers.
- Noise floor is so low I cannot detect it. (Magnepans are not very sensitive so that may be part of it)
- Has a 12v trigger so you can power up everything with one button. Oppo didnt have this. (New units do)
- Nicely finished unit in keeping with McIntosh looks.
- Unit works so well through my tablet that I only use the remote to power down the system

Hope this helps others interested.

A

audiojunky

Audiophyte
As far as a comparison to the the Naim unit mentioned, I considered Naim but they were in transition with their steamers and the new stuff was not available so I moved on feeling that I would not hear the difference. (At my age I cannot discern good quality DACS). Functionality and reliability as a pure audio component was a bigger factor.

Sorry for not mentioning the Naim questions.

C

Cava

Enthusiast
Thank you for taking the time for such an in-depth response. This is extremely helpful.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Why not have the dealer give you both for home demo with the expectation that one will be returned?

Differences on paper aside, there may be usability issues only elucidated by living with the devices.

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
Audiojunky...
Are you still happy with the MB50? I want to add streaming to my multiple audio or audio video systems and this product came up. I am considering it because 1) I’d just love to add a McIntosh to my system (yes, silly reason, but...), 2) I like the relatively easy way it allows the user to play the same music on a second system, just by adding a compatible DTS PLAY-FI Gadget it can communicate with at the second system. For example, the Harmon Karden BTA-10.

I read one review on it and it wasn’t a rave, which causes a little concern. Here is one remark: “he MB50 is powered by a 5V wall-wart power supply.” The reviewer was more complimentary about the audio quality, but it didn’t make me die to have one, let’s put it that way.

So I have a couple of questions.....
It allows the user to stream from subscription sites like Tidal, but how does one use an unsupported subscription service like Primephonic? And how does one access an Internet Radio station? You also mentioned a dongle that adds a much desired hard wired Ethernet connection. What would that be called? Will it work with Roon?

A

audiojunky

Audiophyte
As to both of your questions, I cannot comment as I have not done anything with those features. I have only streamed from Tidal, Spotify, and Deezer. Since i dropped my Tidal account and am currently trying deezer and spotify I can say that I do have occasional drops. The MB 50 seems to work better now with my apple tablet than the android.

I am currently using mostly the Deezer and Spotify app on my PC and streaming directly using JRiver into an oppo 105. This is very reliable and is now making the MB 50 less useful.

I will be getting a C47 in the next few days and will stream from the PC directly into that.
I believe that if you have a preamp or OPPO type device with USB streaming type input you will have a better experience with the online streaming apps. For internet radio you will have to gamble with something like the MB50 or other play-fi device. I still have the MB 50 connected directly to my network via the USB to ethernet dongle that is recommended. This is in my opinion much better than the wirless route. I still use it often when I am using the PC for internet surfing and want music running in the background.

The dongle can be purchased thru amazon fairly cheeply.
I cannot remember the P/N but you can get that information from the manual on the Mcintosh web site.

There are so many options today for streaming systems. I would look at all options before making a decision. If i were purchasing today I would look for something that will support MQA as it may become a reality for Hi Rez streaming.

Hope this helps. One other thing is that DACs in my opinion are like computers. Its is hard to justify the higher cost systems since they quickly become outdated by new technology. The best value I have experienced in recent years is my $ 1200 OPPOD which does so many things right.

Existing Systems.
Mcintosh MC 452 amp, MB50 Streamer, OPPO 105D Transport, Magnepan 3.7i, Rotel RB1590 amp & RC1080 preamp. B&W CM10s2. (Mcintosh c47 on the way)

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for a helpful response. The way you use it is different from how I am set up, and I am beginning to see that these differences just highlight how difficult it is going to be for me to figure out just what I need. I am a not too technical do-it-yourselfer that doesn’t yet know beans about networking or streaming and the associated gear. Yet. I’m trying to change that.

I just ordered an Oppo UDP-205 which unfortunately no longer has Apps, but it does have WiFi and Ethernet capability. (BTW, Fate was helping me on this one because I just by the luckiest chance happened on Oppo’s announcement that it was quitting manufacturing. They were already out of stock on the 205, while eBay was already gouging prices unconscionably, but luckily Magnolia still had a few left in inventory.) So that precious piece of gear is going in my TV room AV system, which remains 2 channel analogue by choice. But thanks to the Oppo can now be set up is now set up to be wireless. The room does have an Ethernet cable connected to my Roku video streamer, so I can split that to the Oppo.
But my living room stereo system has only traditional capability, no wireless devices, no Ethernet, etc.
So my problem is that I want to stream music to *both* systems. I’m hoping I can figure out what gear will allow me to stream the same music simultaneously to both my systems, and even my two desktop systems too, which are nicely outfitted for good sound.

The McIntosh has four sets of analogue outs so I could string some very lengthy audio cables between my two systems, but that’s not a very easy task. And I just learned that the Oppo doesn’t speak DTS PLAY-FI, the McIntosh language that it uses to communicate with a remote system, so the Oppo won’t be helpful, at least so far as I understand things at this point. I would have to buy another piece of gear that would understand the McIntosh protocol.

So far I’ve also looked at Elac Discovery, Cambridge Audio Azure 851N. So far none supports MQA and some are Bitrate challenged in other ways, like the protocol for SACD. After those, I still have the name of a Sony product to research. Then there is even higher priced stuff like Naim and Linn, and I don’t know what else!
Plus I still need to rip my CDs and maybe digitize my LPs too.

The C47 reads nice, though it doesn’t sound like a streamer. Or is it? Why do you need the C47?? Does it run a desktop audio system attached to your computer? But then you need an amp too....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis