• Thread starter Send Margaritas
  • Start date
Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I pre-ordered this, received and watched this today. Some quick feedback for for those of you considering the Blue Ray.

Plot: This was a bit of a let down. Denzel does a great job saving lives on the plane, but you could see it coming that his character is going down in flames from the very first scene. It's a bit too obvious, and if you've ever known folks with addiction demons, it is a predictable sad story. His life goes from one disaster to the next, throwing away a lot of potential. Don't assume this is an action film, you'll be disappointed. The ending was weak, and predictable. The clydesdale commercial during the 49ers-vs-Ravens super bowl stirred more emotion in me.

Action: The plane crash scene is decent, but not great. They do a good job of getting you to imagine the horror of a plane going down, and you'll surely stay strapped in your seatbelt in turbulence.

Acting: Denzel plays the alcoholic to a tee. He's a decent actor, but this wasn't his best role, and certianly not his most likeable character. A great bit of scriptwriting is a scene when he is in the cabin door, calming passengers on the microphone, while his hand is behing the wall mixing a triple screwdriver. Makes you want to smell all your future pilot's breath. The overly straight-laced, very religious, and meek co-pilot is well played, both in the crash scene, and an uncomfortable/awkward hospital visit by Denzel. Nadine Velazquez has a small part, and a terrible fate. She doesn't really get much of a role, but she....well, she's pretty enough thay you have an uncontrollable desire to buy her a car, or say, New Zealand. Kelly Reilly (also gorgeous) put in a solid performance, perhaps the MVP, as a sweet, likable, but troubled girl Denzel meets in the hospital, sneaking cigarettes in the stairwell.

Who really played a good, upbeat, role well, is John Goodman, as an amicable, personality-filled drug dealer, and loyal frend of 'Whip' (Denzel). He was the most upbeat part of the movie....besides Nadine, of course. But his performance was very much in line with his type-cast personality.

Effects: Meh. Castaway's plane crash blew this away. No really great effects.

Picture: *yawn* There certianly isn't the visual appeal of say 'Batman' or the 'Avengers'. Pretty average.

Sound: Castaway's plane crash scene sound was several levels beyond this soundtrack. This will not show off your spiffy subwoofers nearly as well.

I give it a 'C'. It is worth watching, but nothing special, IMO.

What do ya'll think?

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i liked the plane crash scene. super exciting for me.

but then it all went downhill after that.

not that it wasn't a great movie, but because of how sad alcohol addiction is.

oh yeah, the intro scene with Nadine is worth the price of admission.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
the intro scene with Nadine ... super exciting for me ... oh yeah
I thought you needed a little help getting your message across.

I found that scene on the web but will eventually watch the film. I always figure that when a film can afford a name like Denzel they usually have big dollars for the rest of the flick.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I saw it. I liked it a lot. B+ anyway. John Goodman is a classic. "My work here is done". LOL.

majorloser

majorloser

Thanks for the review. I cancelled my order from Amazon today.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was fairly disappointed in this. I like Denzel Washington and liked his last role as the train engineer in Unstoppable, a movie that seemed like it would be a remake of popcorn movies like The Atomic Train. It had a simple premise, that ended up being pretty good. Flight seemed like it would have some sort of higher concept but went downhill from the start, ending up seeming almost like a frat house comedy...just how many quarts of hard liquor could this guy drink in one night and still stand up and continue breathing? He was doing everything short of mainlining grain alcohol into his carotid artery while trying to make the flick seem believable.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
...just how many quarts of hard liquor could this guy drink in one night and still stand up and continue breathing?
That depends on the availability of John Goodman ... SNORT !!!

"Sugar Man, please hurry ... cause I'm tired of these scenes. You're the answer ... that makes my questions disappear".

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I did like the background music that appeared when John Goodman had scenes. He did steal the spotlight at points.

Daniel Fletcher

Daniel Fletcher

Audiophyte
Saw the movie yesterday, the plot was so weak that i thought it was based on real events, the acting however looked very good to me.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
watched this last night and thought it wasnt that bad of a movie. I thought it was worth a watch if your up to not much one night, but i def wouldn't buy it.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Watched this last night and thought it was pretty good, the audio was ok but I found the picture quality to be very good. Definitely worth a rent, but I too wouldn't buy this one.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Flight is now free on Amazon Prime and Netflix, so I finally saw it. I didn't feel like paying for it based on the reviews in this thread. The trailers showing the inverted flying also had me thinking this was yet another dumb action flick, and that Denzel Washington for once chose a script very poorly. Wrong, much to my surprise I enjoyed Flight immensely. Washington is one of the best actors around, and I should have figured he's practically incapable of making a bad movie. Goodman's performance is truly a highlight, I think the best of his career. This is a story about an incredibly talented but flawed hero, who has to come to grips with his addictions overshadowing his 99th percentile capabilities as a pilot. Everyone wants their heroes in the mold of Chesley Sullenberger, but most aren't, and I thought the movie was very well done. I plan to watch it again.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Flight is now free on Amazon Prime and Netflix, so I finally saw it. I didn't feel like paying for it based on the reviews in this thread. The trailers showing the inverted flying also had me thinking this was yet another dumb action flick, and that Denzel Washington for once chose a script very poorly. Wrong, much to my surprise I enjoyed Flight immensely. Washington is one of the best actors around, and I should have figured he's practically incapable of making a bad movie. Goodman's performance is truly a highlight, I think the best of his career. This is a story about an incredibly talented but flawed hero, who has to come to grips with his addictions overshadowing his 99th percentile capabilities as a pilot. Everyone wants their heroes in the mold of Chesley Sullenberger, but most aren't, and I thought the movie was very well done. I plan to watch it again.
Added to queue.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The best part of Flight is the first 5 minutes. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis