Yamaha R-N500 Network Stereo Receiver Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The $600 Yamaha N-R500 Network Stereo receiver ticks all the right boxes to entice the budding audiophile and the two-channel lover that wants networking features. With Apple AirPlay, DNLA 1.5, Spotify and Pandora, and USB streaming, the R-N500 can accept FLAC/WAV 192 kHz / 24-bit encoded music. On the other side, there is a phono input with a ground screw, a pure direct mode, a focus on keeping digital and analogue separate, and plenty of power. Got a two-channel system and were thinking of a mid-line surround sound receiver? Got audiophile aspirations but can't spend the price of a car on the gear? Think again. Yamaha's R-N500 might be just what you were hoping for.

Discuss "Yamaha R-N500 Network Stereo Receiver Preview" here. Read the article.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
The Onkyo TX-8050 looks to be a better bargain with more flexibility at less than half the price of the Yamaha. Lets hope this has a lower street price or I don't see it selling well at 600. The only big advantage I see with the Yamaha is Air Play and the top notch customer service and track record for reliability. 349.00 to 399.00 is where this should be.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
How about the Onkyo TX-NR626 for $500? I probably missed something else, but the two things that I noticed that the Yamaha has that the 626 doesn't is Spotify and AirPlay.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The Onkyo TX-8050 looks to be a better bargain with more flexibility at less than half the price of the Yamaha. Lets hope this has a lower street price or I don't see it selling well at 600. The only big advantage I see with the Yamaha is Air Play and the top notch customer service and track record for reliability. 349.00 to 399.00 is where this should be.
I managed to pick a 8050 up for $299 and have no complaints. Surprisingly well built for the price with good internals, gold connectors, etc.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm shying away from Onkyo because of QC problems. They even surpassed NAD for lack of QC. I'm willing to pay the price for the Yamaha knowing it will be around for a good 5 to 10 years with frying up a component.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
They don't have any sort of high pass for the mains. Everyone runs subs nowadays, don't they? That should have been included.

C

cnoyes72

Audiophyte
They don't have any sort of high pass for the mains. Everyone runs subs nowadays, don't they? That should have been included.
The rest of Yamaha Stereo Receivers and Integrated Amps that have a Subwoofer Out jack have a built-in filter set at 90Hz (I found this out from a Yamaha engineer. It's not documented in any of the user manuals). I imagine this unit would be the same.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
The rest of Yamaha Stereo Receivers and Integrated Amps that have a Subwoofer Out jack have a built-in filter set at 90Hz (I found this out from a Yamaha engineer. It's not documented in any of the user manuals). I imagine this unit would be the same.
I was referring to what is fed into the on-board amps, not the sub pre-out. It would be nice if it had at the least the option to engage a high pass filter for that, that's all. For that matter, anyone using this receiver would have to use their subs low pass/gain/phase to calibrate the system anyway, so I don't see why they would bother low passing the sub pre-out.

solarux

solarux

Enthusiast
...not quite enough to tip the "Stereo" scales.

My Onkyo TX-8050 Stereo rcvr has more of a plethora of Audio/Video i/o that this Yammy stereo, plus as everyone else mentioned here, it was about half the price of this particular stereo Yammy.

I don't care about airplay, but, the only other difference that I would call advantageous on this Yammy, is the 24/192kHz Dac ability, whereas the Onkyo tx-8050 has 24/96kHz ability Dac.
But that alone does not account for this "huge" price difference, considering that a lot of smaller, and more versatile external 192k-dac's are getting cheaper in price -finally !

So ya, I'm still happy I got the tx-8050, and given the choice again today, yep, I'd still re-buy the Onk over this Yammy. -although I still love Yammy gear too.
:)

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Good review. It is a little weird how few 2 channel rigs have support for computer playback (whether wired or wireless). It's a little cheesy though that you have to pay an xtra $100 to connect this thing wirelessly to your network, Yamaha YWA-10 Wi-Fi® adapter for compatible Yamaha home theater receivers at Crutchfield.com. The Onkyo 8050 is not only half the price but a wireless dongle runs all of $20 bucks, Amazon.com: Onkyo UWF-1 Wireless LAN Adapter: Electronics. Still the Onkyo doesn't do airplay natively which is a drag. I'd buy one if it did airplay.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Good review. It is a little weird how few 2 channel rigs have support for computer playback (whether wired or wireless). It's a little cheesy though that you have to pay an xtra $100 to connect this thing wirelessly to your network, Yamaha YWA-10 Wi-Fi® adapter for compatible Yamaha home theater receivers at Crutchfield.com. The Onkyo 8050 is not only half the price but a wireless dongle runs all of $20 bucks, Amazon.com: Onkyo UWF-1 Wireless LAN Adapter: Electronics. Still the Onkyo doesn't do airplay natively which is a drag. I'd buy one if it did airplay.

R

Reximouse

Audiophyte
Yamah RN500 delivers on its promise

I purchased a Yamaha RN500 receiver in spite of not being able to locate any independent reviews based on actual listening. Still can't find any! It was a punt on Yamaha's musical reputation - but all good.
I wanted to get out of the ""home theatre" scene both because of a home downsizing and a wish to re-focus on music reproduction, ie stereo. At first I was going to keep my 5 channel Nakamichi AV10, (like it had cost me a ton), and just keep my excellent Sonus Faber front speakers. But then I thought, why? Big heavy box, runs hot, good but compromised stereo, no internet, no wireless connection with computer, IPhone or Pad. Yesterday's technology.
The RN500 seemed to tick all the boxes and it has turned out to be a real performer. Stereo from CD 's has unbelievable presence, it blows me and fellow audiophiles away with a rich but powerfully clear sound. It makes the expensive Nakamichi seem very ordinary. Excellent local FM radio sound (eg ABC Classic FM 105.9) and the internet is very good.
The Receiver/Tuner/Internet/Wireless (etc, etc) connectivity capabilities are all I hoped for. (Like, who needs crappy DAB?!). And all sourced via a free, and easy to use, IPad/smart phone app. You can do it on the remote, but its clunky and not much fun. The manual is good, just wish I had done set up with the Pad & App. I have seen posts knocking a perceived need for an Ethernet hard wire connection from computer or modem. Uh?! I just plugged it into my house network via the room's existing Mac wireless extender, which is called an Airport Express. I had this altready to boost my town house wireless coverage. I found the set up a bit complicated, as older folk do, and the "V Tuner" computer setting of "favourites" a new concept, but once understood, easy to use and accessing worldwide stations (and other input sources) from the IPad a real breeze. One important tip, for the best sound, connect source inputs such as CD player, TV and Blue Ray via the co-ax and optical options for best lossless sound, not the defaults which are RCA.
Being an early adopter, in an overpriced Australin market, I probably paid too much, but at less than a $grand it is incredible value and less than a third the cost of its prestigious Nakamichi predecessor. Love it!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis