Dirac Releases "Dirac Live" Room Correction Suite

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you use a computer as the main source in your home theater or stereo system, then listen up. Dirac has released a new room correction system called “Dirac Live†and it’s aimed at everyone seeking the best performance possible out of a computer. By actively monitoring and correcting audio it accounts for time domain and frequency response issues. But, with a cost of $849 plus a microphone we think it is going to be a niche product.

Discuss "Dirac Releases "Dirac Live" Room Correction Suite" here. Read the article.

DavidW

DavidW

Audioholics Contributing Writer
For the more adventurous and cost conscious ...

For those of you who are a bit more adventurous and cost conscious, there are open source programs that can perform digital room correction using a PC that are available on SourceForge:

DRC: Digital Room Correction

Convolver — a convolution plug-in

The first program linked will generate digital FIR filters based on room response measurements. The second link is to a convolution program which will implement FIR filters in real time as a DSP plugin to Windows Media Player.

Obviously, these programs are likely not to be as polished or user friendly as commercial products, but that is not always the case. However, for the technically inclined, it is quite possible that they may have greater functionality and flexibility.

I have not tried any of this myself yet, but I have wanted to for a number of years and I would love to hear about anyone who does try it and what kind of results they were able to get. It has always seemed like a fun audio DIY project.

David

Last edited:
W

wgscott

Enthusiast
There is now a version for stereo for about $500.

My main gripe, apart from the cost ($500 is still a lot for me) is you can't use the output to make an AU plugin. I'd prefer that to their obligatory convolver.

I'm currently playing with a trial version of Dirac and Fuzzmeasure3.

I used this in the Makefile to compile drc on OS X. Now I need to try to figure out how to use it:

# Compiler
CC=clang

# Standard optimization settings
# Tested also on Mac OS X
CFLAGS=-O3 -msse -I.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis