My DIY speaker build.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The best woodworkers are those who cover their mistakes well. You won't make a perfect speaker.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don't mean to be Captain Obvious here but if you are just trying to practice your wood working technique why not build a shelf, no fancy parts required.

If there is a speaker set that you want and don't care what it looks like then go for it. Otherwise why spend money on things you don't need. (Unless you have too much money, if that is the case I have many ideas :D)
I actually do need another set of speakers, so I figure build a cheaper set. I really want practice building speakers in general. I figure it will be a bit easier to learn on something simple.

D

djbachelor

Enthusiast
How are the ER18s coming along? I have just "finished" a set myself and begun listening; they are not actually finished--just put together. I got anxious. I am interested to hear your thoughts, and others who have lived with this build for a while. I am new to higher-end audio, but I feel I still have a lot of work to do on getting them "Dialed in" with the system and placement before I will be satisfied.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How are the ER18s coming along? I have just "finished" a set myself and begun listening; they are not actually finished--just put together. I got anxious. I am interested to hear your thoughts, and others who have lived with this build for a while. I am new to higher-end audio, but I feel I still have a lot of work to do on getting them "Dialed in" with the system and placement before I will be satisfied.
I have a build planned before them that is a bit more simple so I can hone my skills a bit and fill another space that needs a set of speakers. I'll update this thread once I start those, and then when I move to the ER18's.

D

djbachelor

Enthusiast
Sounds like a good plan. Other than a Sonotube subwoofer (for a different system in the media room), the ER18s (for a 2.0 music system in the living room) are the first speakers I have (almost) finished. I also started a set of Statements--that was about 5 years ago and they still aren't done! It's a joint project though, which has obvious pros and cons. The ER18s have come out alright, I think; but starting with a simpler and less expensive build would have been a positive and valuable experience. I had my heart set on these coming out 'perfect' for the living room, so each little mistake has been kind of stressful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis