Time to buy a gun ... again

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't think a .22 AR would be tube magazine fed.
Nope :) I think there are only a few rifles that even meet that criteria, and technically I'd say that may be because they don't meet the "removable" terminology either. The cartridges are not in the part that is removable; they are loaded into the firearm itself like a shotgun. Meaning quick reloads aren't so quick...unless you have these (which I do :D ) :
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GNS-120

itschris

itschris

how does one know where to put the AFG/VFG?

as far out as comfortable for my arm length?
Its mostly personal preference. I love Magpul, but cannot stand the AFG. I tried hard to like it but went back to my Tango Down VFG's. I have them on all my rifles. I know the AFG is the latest, coolest thing... to help roll your hand up more on the rail, but I don't know. it's not for me. I don't hold the VFG like a broomstick but use it more for indexing. However, in transitiion, grabbing that sucker really help keep the rifle in check and helps get you on target very quick... not so much with the AFG.

You don't want it out to far, because you loose the leverage and you arm will actually tire out. I have mine out so that my arm is bent a bit past 90 degrees with my elbows tucked. I have a pretty long wingspan so mine are probably more forward than most. I have pics in another thread here but will post them here as well since it's relevant.

NoveskeSBR1a_zps8d6f924b.jpg

MampP1a_zpsd3def3f6.jpg
Everyone of my rifles are setup exactly the same including my less serious range guns like the one below. Same grip (MIAD), stock (CTR), triggers (Gieselle SSA), and controls (BAD *** Ambi Selecters), etc..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am liking the AFG so far. I don't always grab it fully, I sometimes just attach two fingers to the bottom lip to pull it in tight. My hand goes very naturally to it, but I still feel it isn't an optimum angle - it is better than having nothing there though, IMO. VFG is technically not legal here and would quickly draw attention.

itschris

itschris

Why are VFG's illegal?

I think you're using the AFG more like I used it and how I use a VFG, i.e., more as an indexing tool rather than a formulated grip. The new koolaid these days sort of places your palm at the 9 to 12 position on the rail. There's always some new fancy way to shoot I guess. I just don't want to re-learn my techniques every year when someone like Chris Costa, Travis Haley, or some other high profile guys finds a different way. I'm certain there's a lot of value in it, but not unless you have 25K rounds to shoot and tons of free time to shoot to become proficient.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Forward pistol grip is illegal just because: California. It falls under their definition of "assault weapon" :rolleyes: It can be done, but as we all know, not all cops actually know the letter of the law and it becomes one of those things where you end up having to explain yourself. Technically, the AFG falls into that category too, but it is typically overlooked for the same reason LOL.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Bought my Remington 870 Tactical over the weekend. I pick it up on 9/11 :eek:

The little lady bought a full size XD9 to replace her LC9. These were to replace a few of the ones stolen from our house.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice, J, I am still waiting for my a400 extreme to come in, its been 6 months!!! I have an a400 unico and an a400 xcel {bright blue with the digital gunpod in the stock. The reason I like them so much is the hydr. recoil system, with my bad shoulder it is amazingly soft... Ill post some shotgun pics later..

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you guys have links for online sellers, selling complete uppers that ship to CA?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would buy all the parts, I wouldn't buy a complete upper... Then build it yourself... the tools are cheap and minimal... I can hep you through it I have built between 75-90 ar's... take advantage of them labor day sales bud... I did, lol both of these guys I have dealt with with good luck and fast service, always happy with both of them, well once psa sent me 4 trigger kits instead of 2 and I called to let them know and he said don't worry about it.... not too shabby...

Surplus Ammo - Shopping Cart I grabbed a few of the nickel boron bolt carrier groups for $110 that is a score...
Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
we need special papers here to transport weapons, even to the gunsmith.

i don't have the necessary skill to build the upper myself (or trust myself in something that goes bang near my face)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
we need special papers here to transport weapons, even to the gunsmith.

i don't have the necessary skill to build the upper myself (or trust myself in something that goes bang near my face)
Palmetto should be the best bet, have you checked their website? I have no skill and build ar15's, I have even built some 1911's {that is much harder than an AR, but rewarding}....
What are you looking for an upper? Free floated, 16" Hbar, fluted, full rail, flat top or carry handle, push assist, bcg and ch complete? I built a 16" fluted wilson combat barrel, YHM billet flat top rail, full floated, with a pinned muzzle break, custom charging handle, push assist, nickel boron BCG, for $600, if you had to buy that upper it would be $1500 easily, if you could find it....

Anyway, check psa see if they ship to you, they are in SC

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
follow up question, i plan to mount this on an m16 lower.

will these "for AR15" uppers work?

i'd like a 14.5" or shorter barrel, don't want the thin looking barrels, preferably stainless in finish (silver), flat top ...

everything else you mentioned flew over my head, because i don't know what those are ...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
LOL fair enough...

I would go into a gun shop or look online to find out what your laws are.... Are you saying you have a real m16 lower?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yes, i do have an m16 lower (i'm not based in the USA)

was thinking of selling the ar15 short one, and using the money to buy a clone mp5 and a complete upper.

i'm thinking i could have one lower and the above 20" upper and a short upper i can switch depending on what i'm going to use it for ...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Now to give you a little more info..

heres some ar15/m16 schooling...

BCG= bolt carrier group, in gun terms a group is all the parts that make up something you would call the bolt, when in actuality the bolt is just 1 of many parts that make up the BCG, also trigger group for example the trigger is just the part your finger touches, you still have hammer, diconnector, hammer spring, trigger spring, trigger and hammer pins, disconnector spring ect...

Next for free floating and rail, free floating is when nothing touches the barrel for almost its entire length, it improves accuracy.. The only things that would touch your barrel beyond the barrel nut is your gas block which is only connected to a tiny gas line that runs back to your receivers gas port...

Full rail and flat top and carry handle are pretty self explainitory, carry handle is the old looking style m16ish upper, flat top is the rail look, full rail is when the uppers rail connects non stop to your front handguards rail...

Monolithic is when your front handguard and upper receiver are all one piece, machined out of one piece not separate parts...

push forward assist is that little button that assists the round into a hot chamber when they get sticky, you can get uppers with or without...

Low pro gas black is that little block on the front of you gun where the old ar15 and m16s have the front sight incorporated into it... low pro allows you to have your rail and handguard go all the way forward over the gas block...

Next is gas or block length , this will be shown as carbine which is the shortest, mid wiich is the middle, and rifle which is the longest, these dont have much effect on you since you are going to stay around 16 to keep the gun a rifle, I would go mid...

I would be careful about what length barrel you get anything under 16" is illegal unless your lower receiver is marked and registered as a pistol, so the shortest you can go is 16 total, you may get away with a 14.5" barrel and a 1.5:" muzzle break or flash supresser { if they are legal in your area} as long as it is welded and pinned and no longer removable...

Gas piston uppers are another entire whole world, how this works is like an AK47 instead of hot gasses going from the barrel to the receiver, and blowing all kind of gas and particles into your receiver through your bolt group, making the gun super hot and dirty, a gas piston upper uses a small piston assembly to cycle the action, and this leads to a much cooler and cleaner gun, I like them but they are costly, my favorite is the adams arms assembly...

here is a very affordable gas piston upper, I own this upper, its awesome and I buy from Westin all the time, Cody is a really good guy...
Adams Arms 5.56 16 Mid Piston w/ Magpul MOE Handguard

if you dont like the gas piston idea dd is one of the best bang for buck uppers on the market, I own this one, and what a piece of work it is...
http://www.westernsport.com/product-p/aa-ua-16-m-b-556-dd-10002.htm

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
yes, i do have an m16 lower (i'm not based in the USA)

was thinking of selling the ar15 short one, and using the money to buy a clone mp5 and a complete upper.

i'm thinking i could have one lower and the above 20" upper and a short upper i can switch depending on what i'm going to use it for ...
That top girl looks HEAVY, Im getting tired just looking at it, I have that stock on my sniper ar, I think I showed you a pic before... I remember now you are not in the usa california thing threw me off...

Why not just keep your upper from the small one and just sell the lower????

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'm selling the complete short rifle to my brother, either way, one of us is going to need a new upper.

heavy indeed! 20" bull barrel, not counting the 8" suppressor.

that's why i need a short one when i don't need the above.

i'd like to zero the scope to the suppressor (right now, i just compensate)

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Whats the budget look like, I would NEVER get rid of a M16 lower, I paid $8000 for one!!!!!! lol...

as far as m16 ar15 transfer, in the states its a huge legality issue of course, but they go, are your guns full auto, selctor fire? some ar15 uppers dont have the relief for the m16s auto sear, this would stop you from being able to use that function with out machining it out...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While doing some research on replacements, we found a shop that specializes in AR platforms literally right up the street. Awesome selection and good prices on parts, but the guns themselves are relatively expensive as expected with the market still the way it is, plus they are a small shop.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis