Heard some old Canton speakers...

L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
I was at a friend of a friend's house and he had a pair of older-looking bookshelf speakers. My gut was telling me they were going to sound good. We start listening to some tunes...and they were. Effortless, pleasant, clear, just warm enough, even at relatively low volumes...excellent bookshelves for background music in a larger space.

The speakers where the Canton Plus S. I Googled Canton and saw that most of their current bookshelf offerings are highly regarded. However when I figured out exactly which (vintage) model this was and found them on Ebay, I discovered they probably from the 80s or so, and are inexpensive. Interesting.

Is anyone else familiar with the Canton Plus S, or Canton in general? Any opinions? We weren't exactly listening critically...lots of background noise, etc., so just curious on your thoughts.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I had a pair of 510s from canton, made in germany a decent bookshelf, their new stuff looks interesting...

B

Blair

Audiophyte
I was at a friend of a friend's house and he had a pair of older-looking bookshelf speakers. My gut was telling me they were going to sound good. We start listening to some tunes...and they were. Effortless, pleasant, clear, just warm enough, even at relatively low volumes...excellent bookshelves for background music in a larger space.

The speakers where the Canton Plus S. I Googled Canton and saw that most of their current bookshelf offerings are highly regarded. However when I figured out exactly which (vintage) model this was and found them on Ebay, I discovered they probably from the 80s or so, and are inexpensive. Interesting.

Is anyone else familiar with the Canton Plus S, or Canton in general? Any opinions? We weren't exactly listening critically...lots of background noise, etc., so just curious on your thoughts.
Just found your post. I've had the Canton plus s, plus c (passive sub) since 1987. I've driven them with a variety of amplifiers. I still adore them. Currently I'm using an older Marantz 2330BD receiver to drive them to their outer limits! To be honest, I've never listened to them without the plus c woofer, but the three combined have been the corner stone of my audio system.

F

Fomoco69

Junior Audioholic
Never owned any but buddy of mine had a pair of Vintage Circa 1978- 1985 cantons about same size as Polk monitor 7s and they were excellent build & sound quality...you get what you pay for....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis