Could you help with the ideal placement & type of speakers? Floor plan included.

M

MavsMax

Audiophyte
We are in the process of building our home - media room included.

Due to the relatively compact room size, the two seating rows and their close proximity to the walls, it seems to be hard to find good locations for side and rear surround speakers. (7.1 or 7.2 setup)

I attached a floor plan of the media room. The two door locations are set. Windows can be moved as see fit, in case speakers need to be in the location.

So far I own a bunch of front firing bookshelf/floor speakers and a pair of Klipsch Synergy S-10 (not sure what type they are).

Any good pointers of speaker locations and type of speakers? In wall/in ceiling/bi/dipolar?

Thanks so much in advance.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Is it possible to slide the rear row forward a little so the rear of the seats if even with where it starts to cut back? You can mount side surrounds to the left of the media closet and then directly across from it in between the windows and then rear surrounds on the back walls.

I'm not a big fan of in wall or in ceiling speakers for HT use because I think you can do better SQ for the dollar, but rear surround in ceiling or in wall speakers wouldn't be a bad tradeoff for space saving since you don't want them hanging directly over head, otherwise you'd kind of defeat their purpose.

As for Bi-pole/di-pole that's really a personal preference. Some people think that they don't image well and can muddy the sound. Personally I love mine, but wouldn't exactly call them a typical dipole.

M

MavsMax

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot fuzz092888 for your response.

The left side would have good space for the sound to be delivered to the listeners. But do you think the right side does? If I mount them on the wall, they are directly in the ear of the person sitting in the very right sear in the front. Would the rear right person still hear the sound effects out of that speaker? Do you think I use bi or dipolar speakers there?

For the back, I could hang rear speakers from the ceiling, or even have a 45degree angle built into the wall between ceiling and rear wall just for the speakers. But the sound would come from the ceilings direction. I was concerned that it would not sound right. Would a good bi or dipolar speaker be a good option here as well?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks a lot fuzz092888 for your response.

The left side would have good space for the sound to be delivered to the listeners. But do you think the right side does? If I mount them on the wall, they are directly in the ear of the person sitting in the very right sear in the front. Would the rear right person still hear the sound effects out of that speaker? Do you think I use bi or dipolar speakers there?

For the back, I could hang rear speakers from the ceiling, or even have a 45degree angle built into the wall between ceiling and rear wall just for the speakers. But the sound would come from the ceilings direction. I was concerned that it would not sound right. Would a good bi or dipolar speaker be a good option here as well?
I wouldn't worry about the lopsidedness of the room. It's not super ideal, but it won't be too terrible either. Every speaker won't be producing the same SPL, they'll all get level matched during audyssey or you can do it yourself. The only thing I don't like is the idea of the rear surround speakers directly overhead of the back row. You would have to angle them down anyways, but 45 degrees won't be enough to really get the people directly below them. Bi/Di-pole won't make much of a difference. Either way the back row won't be getting the rear channel the right way or it will blow their ears off depending on where you level match everything from. If you want rear surrounds that will wound ok to the back row either slide the seats forward or go in wall, but space them out nice and wide. FYI, you don't want seats flush against the back wall if you can help it due to the reflections off the back wall anyways in addition to the surround reasons. If you have to have the seats flush against the back wall, like me, then you should space them out as wide as possible and angle them in or go in wall.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
That is ver similar to one of my customers theaters, he has 2 front towers and the center in the front obviously, then he has 3 sets of surrounds, 1 for each row of seats no rears at all.. I never seen it done like that but it seems to work, although I never watched a movie in there...

J

JWL

Audiophyte
The setup shown in that diagram isn't bad, though if it were my room I'd slide the screen and the front row of seats a bit to the left, to achieve better left/right symmetry. With good treatment you should be OK even if you can't do it.

Make sure you treat the room for best results.... you have a lot of seats so you will need to decide if you want to make a Reflection-Free Zone at just one optimized listening position, or for all the seats. Bass traps in as many corners as you can, and I'd do something (thick absorption and maybe diffusion) on the rear wall.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis